VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with a squeaky belt on my Vision. It has always done this when it was wet and I didn't like this but now it is squealing all the time. Some time it is worse than others but never completely quits. I just had a new back tire put on and they checked the tension but I had it checked again and it was a very little bit loose. They tightened it but it didn't help at all. Any suggestions or do I just need a new belt. The guy that looked at it said it showed no wear. I have about 12,000 miles on the bike. Is this the life expectancy of the belt and will it always squeak when it is wet? I don't think my other bikes did this. My thermometer is also having problems. It occasionally shows two dashes than it will go to some wildly high temp and then, so far, will eventually level out to be accurate. Is this a sensor problem or something else? It has just started this recently when I was on a very long trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Just check to see if it is centered on the pulley, just a tweak in adjustment to get it off the raised edge of the pulley.
Let me know.
OT

·
Registered
2 Posts

Not sure about the thermometer, but this is from the service manual for belt alignment. From what I have heard this is the most common cause of belt squeal. The book makes it sound like this is an easy 15 min fix (and it could be) but mine took several trys to get it correct. Also, my Victory mechanic friend says the vision has the loosest fitting belt out of all the Victory models, so over tightness may contribute to your issue too.

1. Loosen rear axle nut (C) about 2 turns.
2. Turn axle adjuster nut on each side of swingarm to
achieve:
• Proper belt deflection (or sonic tension)
• Belt tracking to inside of wheel sprocket flange
during forward wheel rotation.​

NOTE: Tap axle forward on each side after any
adjustment to be sure both adjuster nuts are in
contact with the swingarm.​

3. Rotate wheel backwards. If belt begins to move axially
off inside flange of sprocket (toward the outside edge
of sprocket) proceed to Step 5.
4. If belt does not move off the inside flange when wheel
is rotated backwards, tighten left (brake side) axle
adjuster 1/2 turn at a time and rotate wheel backwards.
Repeat until belt moves off sprocket flange in rearward
rotation.
5. Torque rear axle nut to 88 Nm (65 lb-ft) then torque​
adjuster nuts or screws to 10.8 Nm (8 lb-ft).

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should't need a new belt or pulley. I had chirping off and on for my first 15-20K miles, tried tighter and looser, etc. but it's all gone now. I guess time was the healer... I have over 34K on my '08 Vision and my belt is still in great shape. I only rarely hear a chirp on a wet morning now. My mechanic suggests louder pipes!That would drownout tranny noise too...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
First I would check alignment in the pulley as posted above. I believe there were some posts about bad pulleys. Have you tried a different shop? Maybe the mech is doing the same thing over and over again and doesn't catch the mistake?
A belt shouldn't squeal all the time. It's possible it's a bad belt inside where we would not see separation of layers.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Hey NG, my VV has had squeal, mostly from dusty conditions or slight misalignment. Seems to come and go; mostly gone now at 11K miles. There is a service that applies a teflon coating to the pulley, as the '02 - '03 Indian owners know will cure squeals. (don't ask, I know way too much about those ****** at quite a cost).
Even one of our newbies on a fatboy H-D got the dusty belt squeal (and needed a 2nd opinion about his 'bearings' or 'tranny' problem). One club member whipped out his bar of Ivory soap and rubbed it on teh belt edges...SQUEAL

·
Registered
343 Posts

SQUEAL GONE
But squealing wet, never had that happen! IMHO it's misaligned slightly, and it only takes a bit of misalign.
My method is do the alignment and run the rear wheel backwards and forward to observe if the belt tends to walk to one side or da other. Carefully adjust the walk until it's about gone, then don't get too hung up if the align marks are a few thousandths off.
Shark

·
Registered
189 Posts
The warranty covered my belt and rear pully after three different dealers couldnt get the squeal out of it. Since the new parts no more noise, wet dry hot or cold. I have had a tire replaced and still no noise. The original pully was faulty in some way and the belt was polished onboth sides.

·
Registered
234 Posts
remmingtonrider said:
I am having this problem now and getting louder they think it might be tranny but who knows , it started as a chirp but now does it all the time when under power 18000 miles what to do?
That sounds like the same problem I had at about 18K. Drove me nuts trying to find the culprit. Turns out it was the rivets on the read rotor. May want to check that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.