VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I finally pulled the plug and bought a 2014 Vision with 23000 miles. I have been riding a BMW and needed a more comfortable bike hence came the vision. I am noticing lots of squeaking and rattling noise when I hit even the smallest bump. The ride does not feel plush. The seller is saying this is from the plastics and it is normal. It feels to me like it is from the shocks. I appreciate any response.

· Registered
1999 V92C & 2009 VISION
1,589 Posts
Do you have a have a tour pack? the lids are known to squeak but it can be easily fixed.
The ride should be smooth, check you rear shock air pressure. Next step- get it up on a lift & see what’s going on.

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Greetings, Congratulations and Welcome @new to Vic

As indicated by the previous responses, start with the rear shock air pressure.
The ride quality should be very good and smooth.
One of the forum members has made the manuals for Victories available. Check your setting against the chart.
Download the manuals from: MediaFire

The plastics do tend to squeak, most of these squeaks are addressable.
The squeaks should be considered a separate issue, and should be addressed independently.

Congratulations, ride safe,
Smokier

· Registered
9,779 Posts
Did your bike come with the mouse option!? I tried to get that but they were sold out! Congratulations on a fine bike. And welcome. I was very unhappy with the ride on my bike when I picked it up..........until I discovered I needed to put air in the shock....Sense a theme here?

· Registered
3,658 Posts
Welcome from sunny AZ! I agree with what all others have said. First check your rear shock pressure.

also check for residue at the bottom of the shock as it could have blown/seeped the oil out. Mine did that and while it still holds air, there is no dampening from the lack of oil so I get “clunks” when going over large bumps or quick hits in the road. I attribute this to the shock rebounding too quickly and maxing out its stroke.

for squeaks, check your saddle bag alignments and ensure all of the plastic bits are in place and held down with the factory screws and/or clips (uses both).

· Registered
2,176 Posts
WELCOME to Victory!!!

Yeah...I find my XC very plasticky!

Acceptance is the key to all my worries.....well the ones I can't change anyway🙂

XC rides so good,
Great if I'm carrying stuff,
Hauls arse when required,
Good cornering clearance,

The fact it's covered in plastic probably adds to the plasticky feel, but as long as it don't melt in the hot Aussie sun I can tolerate it's few shortcomings.......

It's really come into its own lately while the Yellow Kingpin and Yammy 650 are off the road....

I run the rear shock just under max pressure.

Last weekend did a 500 mile return trip to the Top Fuel Drags two up on it and came back the long winding and very indirect route , as I do sometimes.
One section of road from Woodenbong to Tabulam was atrocious! Last traversed it 30 years ago and it's a lots worse than is was then....never again!
XC handled it
(this post got out of control and probably should be in what did you do with your XC today but,
well just imaging it is ..some posts are like long bumpy potholed roads...no turning back!)

Look closely in one pic you'll see my road shocked overheated passenger laying on the road in the shade trying to recover enough to get back on the bike and continue the ordeal...She was close to breaking point.....

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Asphalt
Map World Font Parallel Atlas

Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Talk about plasticky rattles squeaks and such, yeah I relate!

Those pics were on a relatively good section where it was safe to stop by the way...I should've stopped sooner but didn't.
Should've turned at the first hint of gravel road just near the Mulli Mulli mission but I didn't...
Maybe I need a KTM Adventure bike!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the many responses from a very friendly forum. The rear shock is set at 33 for solo riding. The bike squeaks when I get on and off of it and when I push the rear down. I have to take it for a rear tire change soon and will ask the mechanic to check the shock. I am looking for a victory mechanic in the Los Angeles area, anybody knows one?

· Registered
3,658 Posts
Thanks for the many responses from a very friendly forum. The rear shock is set at 33 for solo riding. The bike squeaks when I get on and off of it and when I push the rear down. I have to take it for a rear tire change soon and will ask the mechanic to check the shock. I am looking for a victory mechanic in the Los Angeles area, anybody knows one?
Probably from the shock linkage. It is non-greasable, but maybe something is binding up just a bit or bolt/pivot points can be lubed a bit.
Take the seat off and take a look for yourself.

if you haven’t yet, get the service & owners manual from this media fire link. Fellow Vog member BBob has graciously kept a library for us. If you don’t find your exact year Vision, that’s ok, just get the closest one you can (they are all pretty much the same). MediaFire

• Informative
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
428 Posts
The shock linkage is non-greaseable! Opps! I grease mine anyway, not sure it helps, I'm sure it won't hurt. Cold weather makes my linkage a little noisy, but after a few strokes it's quiet. IMHO the shock rubber boot could be responsible for most of the squeaking. Maybe clean it if you take it apart. I haven't 82,000 miles strong. Welcome to Victory. Hope you get that Vision riding smooth as see should.

· Registered
26 Posts
When my Vision was new I put foam behind the offending snap-in plastic pieces. No rattles since. I got some adhesive backed closed cell foam. It's an 1/8" (3mm) thick, but exact thickness doesn't matter. It squeezes down to whatever thickness required. The concept is to put some tension on the snap posts. There where only two plastic pieces rattling on mine, the chromed bezel around the speedo/tachometer and the painted piece around the tail/brake light. Both pieces are held in with metal spring clips attached to plastic posts. I put the foam around the posts so it's sandwiched between the plastic and what it snaps into. 100k+ miles (160k+ km) and still no rattles.

Sorry I cannot help with the harsh ride issue. Mine has always been very smooth. Everyone who has ever driven it or been a passenger has commented how smooth it is. Good luck tracking down your issue.

· Registered
35 Posts
I don't think the shock link will make a noise you can hear but when mine broke, took it apart.. dry as a bone and completely worn out.
If you're so inclined, install a zerk there, assessible from the top, seat removed, hole so it can be lubed once in a while. I greased my replacement but no zerk but haven't checked it in 6 years or so.

· Registered
859 Posts
In addition to the above, I think the Vision makes a lot of mechanical noises plus drive belt chirping that you might be hearing. I hear this noise when I don't wear a helmet or when I wear only a half helmet. When I wear my modular helmet with the radio on, noise is all gone. :cool:

· Registered
109 Posts
Hello everyone,
I finally pulled the plug and bought a 2014 Vision with 23000 miles. I have been riding a BMW and needed a more comfortable bike hence came the vision. I am noticing lots of squeaking and rattling noise when I hit even the smallest bump. The ride does not feel plush. The seller is saying this is from the plastics and it is normal. It feels to me like it is from the shocks. I appreciate any response.
What model BMW did you ride before. I switched from Victory XCT to BMW K1600GTL, and the suspensions are completely different and like night and day.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
The bike squeaks when I get on and off of it and when I push the rear down.
Underneath, in front & above the rear wheel you will see 1 lower shock linkage & 1 lower shock bolt with nuts ( giggity ) is bushings between them….I rotate & grease around them when it starts again & once a winter I lube the top rocker pivot pin & inner needle bearings which does the most for a smooth stroke

· Registered
4,503 Posts
I switched from Victory XCT to BMW K1600GTL
SMH, at my age I’m aware some people need to slum from time to time to remind them what they had so it’s ok, polanus just wants ur money again someday hahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts