VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was finally able to change out my Vision's starter sprag gear. A big shout out to Noe Martinez and others that pointed out the issue. Sadly (Eric the) Red had never been out in really, really cold frickin' weather to try to start. What happened is we moved from the south (N. Alabama) to SE Wyoming.....in February....Red (with little fanfare) started easily while in the trailer (the horror, the horror) but had to be shut down to unload and when it was time to put it in the garage upon the restart attempt it didn’t, I hesitated on the starter switch and it made that funny (now sickening ;-) ) little “clink” sound and the starter just spun. *&$^#% “sprag” gear broke. I thought I read about it in passing but some people just gotta learn the hard way…....At any rate the job is probably about 2 hrs....IF you have ALL the tools (and can find them). I laid Red on the right side and pulled the shifter/floorboard assembly, the clutch Cable (Carefully rotate the pinion shaft with an adjustable spanner (AKA “crescent wrench) clockwise, and then removed the cap plate, pulled the clutch pinion (not sure that was necessary but…..) and then pulled the primary cover off. The primary cover came off OK (more later). I then removed the center bolt on the flywheel in the process learning that keeping the crank from turning (without the 2 zillion dollar tool (2ZDT)) proved challenging. A plastic handled scraper (PHS) sacrificed it's end piece and when placed the same as the 2ZDT (in the service manual) the PHS served well. I pulled off the flywheel with the special tool (as noted by several people thank you) a drain plug from (an) 85 model Subaru (Who knew ;-) It really works too....) with little fanfare. I then removed the Crankshaft Gear (Primary Drive Gear) behind it and then removed the Starter Drive Clutch (sprag) gear. Oddly enough the sprag “looked” perfectly fine Then again, I’m not certain what “broke/good” should look like). I reinstalled the sprag gear, the Crankshaft Gear (Primary Drive Gear) and then reinserted the flywheel. Then I realized while I had a swell ½in. drive torque wrench I did not have a frickin’ 15MM ½ drive socket (no matter how many times I looked in the toolbox). Off to the parts store (thus the extended repair time) for a new metric socket set (an’t have too many and hey, I got another 10mm to loose…) Got it torqued to 75ft lbs and then began the rest of the reassembly. There is an important thing remember here....Not previously mentioned though obvious…. the primary cover has a million (zillion?) power magnet in it (Capable of lifting steel girders?) that will try very hard to eat your fingers off when trying to reinstall. I have no idea how to avoid it. After getting it back on with most of the skin on my fingers intact I reinstalled all the other stuff and gave it a try. Hallelujah Red lives. Ultimately I wanted to write all this to lay it out and to show a picture of a spag gear - broken no less....as I hadn’t even seen one so here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks great write up.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
One of the best tips about primary covers I saw on here a few years back was to use some threaded rod in a few of the the primary bolt holes, then slide on the gasket, then the primary cover making sure the wires didn't get caught and no finger pinching. then remove the threaded rods and install the primary cover bolts.

Great write up!
I have to do this eventually as mine howls terribly at certain rpms so this one is bookmarked!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick question...No left handed threads right?
Had to think about it because I've been working on "other stuff" but no. No left hand threads. Pretty straight forward....given tools are all on hand. etc...... One reads the good stuff about making guides then forgets it because "it ain't gonna happen to me" until it does. ;-). LMYR

Reactions: MoparSteve

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Well, I was finally able to change out my Vision's starter sprag gear. A big shout out to Noe Martinez and others that pointed out the issue. Sadly (Eric the) Red had never been out in really, really cold frickin' weather to try to start. What happened is we moved from the south (N. Alabama) to SE Wyoming.....in February....Red (with little fanfare) started easily while in the trailer (the horror, the horror) but had to be shut down to unload and when it was time to put it in the garage upon the restart attempt it didn't, I hesitated on the starter switch and it made that funny (now sickening ;-) ) little "clink" sound and the starter just spun. *&$^#% "sprag" gear broke. I thought I read about it in passing but some people just gotta learn the hard way…....At any rate the job is probably about 2 hrs....IF you have ALL the tools (and can find them). I laid Red on the right side and pulled the shifter/floorboard assembly, the clutch Cable (Carefully rotate the pinion shaft with an adjustable spanner (AKA "crescent wrench) clockwise, and then removed the cap plate, pulled the clutch pinion (not sure that was necessary but…..) and then pulled the primary cover off. The primary cover came off OK (more later). I then removed the center bolt on the flywheel in the process learning that keeping the crank from turning (without the 2 zillion dollar tool (2ZDT)) proved challenging. A plastic handled scraper (PHS) sacrificed it's end piece and when placed the same as the 2ZDT (in the service manual) the PHS served well. I pulled off the flywheel with the special tool (as noted by several people thank you) a drain plug from (an) 85 model Subaru (Who knew ;-) It really works too....) with little fanfare. I then removed the Crankshaft Gear (Primary Drive Gear) behind it and then removed the Starter Drive Clutch (sprag) gear. Oddly enough the sprag "looked" perfectly fine Then again, I'm not certain what "broke/good" should look like). I reinstalled the sprag gear, the Crankshaft Gear (Primary Drive Gear) and then reinserted the flywheel. Then I realized while I had a swell ½in. drive torque wrench I did not have a frickin' 15MM ½ drive socket (no matter how many times I looked in the toolbox). Off to the parts store (thus the extended repair time) for a new metric socket set (an't have too many and hey, I got another 10mm to loose…) Got it torqued to 75ft lbs and then began the rest of the reassembly. There is an important thing remember here....Not previously mentioned though obvious…. the primary cover has a million (zillion?) power magnet in it (Capable of lifting steel girders?) that will try very hard to eat your fingers off when trying to reinstall. I have no idea how to avoid it. After getting it back on with most of the skin on my fingers intact I reinstalled all the other stuff and gave it a try. Hallelujah Red lives. Ultimately I wanted to write all this to lay it out and to show a picture of a spag gear - broken no less....as I hadn't even seen one so here it is.
Glad you got her back on the road.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Sprags are used in many automatic transmissions. There 3 types of mechanical holding devices used in transmissions. Of the the 3, a sprag will stand up to higher RPM's. That one there REALLY looks like the one used in a Chevy 1/2 ton O/D trans. Next time I get one that's bad I'll post a pic. Show you one that's really fuched up

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just had this happen to me. On my 4th Vic and brought it home in sub 0 temps (3 hours in a covered trailer) Had to try and start it when I offloaded it, now the starter only spins. Live and learn. Sprag is ordered, on backorder of course. Waiting patiently for the part and to get her running again. Until then, wounded Vic in the heated garage

Attachments

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
brought it home in sub 0 temps (3 hours in a covered trailer) Had to try and start it when I offloaded it, now the starter only spins
Should've snuggled with her in the heated garage for couple hours before trying to fire it up, I understand because I'd been overly excited & wanted to hear her purring at my house too. Congratulations on the new ride & welcome

• Haha
Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
398 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts