VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some Adventure riders that sent out SPOT message for HELP last night near Mariposa.

We all got his message, his wife call Search & Rescue and they were able to find them pretty fast due to the SPOT!

Don has a dirt bike but Gail has a big BMW. Both are very experienced riders and mountain savvy.

The SPOT put out HELP message and S & R were able to locate them in a nasty canyon. Because they were prepared, they were safe, had a fire going and were not in danger or hurt.

They got Don's bike out last night but had to go back today with a 4x4 & wench and did get Gail's big BMW out.

SPOT saved them. They were out mudbogging and got down in a canyon and due to the snotty trail could not get back up the hill. They stayed put and prepared for the worst.

Lesson is BE PREPARED FOR STUFF! Remote paved riding can be just as treacherous.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Great ending... I have never seen the Spot as a good tool, mainly because where I live we are completely covered with cell phone coverage. But I never really thought about the off-road aspect.
Smart guys, hunkering down for the night andgetting prepared instead of losing their heads and trying to trek out of there.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I think the SPOT is a great idea but can't justify one for my own use. I don't go offroading and I hunt on my own private land which also has a decent cell signal.

It'd be great to use a couple times of the year when I travel so other's can see where I've been but once again it's of little value for that.

Great device for situations like this if I was a true back country man I'd own one.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
If you ride alone, or in this case in a remote area then i can see the value. Yes it is true that most cell coverage will cover a majority of the world. But what happens if you are unavailable to dial your phone? If you are hurt? Sometimes you might not be able to see a bunch of buttons but perhaps pushing one button might work.
Sure if you are unconscious you wont be able to do either, but any chance that gives you a BETTER chance at rescue or survival is a good thing.

We talk about putting LED lights and driving lights and extra this and thats on our bikes to be more seen during the day and at night. Why do we do it? for safety and protection any way we can. This idea of a personal tracking and rescue device is just an extension of that.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lot's of places I ride have lousy if any cell service. Even if you can't hit the Help button your signal will stay put in one place. I also live alone so if I didn't come home no one would notice.

One of our buddies is putting together a new website for our circle of friends and people on contact list. They can then follow a "chain of command" so to speak as to who to call and make sure some one has.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
In the western US it's a pretty good bet that the places you "want" to ride will have poor cell service. Once you get anywhere outside of a major city or town you can lose cell coverage almost immediately.....mountains have a tendency tocause that.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I have been looking at the "Spot's" for just over a year now. In the West as Phoenix stated the mountain's kill cell service, so I believe this to be an excellent tool. The mountain sledders use them and for good reason. I do know they have brought emergency services to very remote areas.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've been thinking about the SPOT so I can leave the cell phone at home...I hate when it rings and buzzes when I ride or boat...always feel obligated to pull over and call back and/or text back. With SPOT in pocket...NO phone and I can tell the caller/texter (with a straight face), No Phone with me.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

SPOT should come up with fractional ownership or usage for those who would only use it part of the year and not year round. Pay as you go kinda thing like the cell phone companies. Buying into a monthly fee might turn away potential buyers/users of this technology. I think its a great tool and should be made available tomore people. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I think it will be great tool when I get hammered [no Vic pun intended] and wake up in a field chained to a strange goat. The perfect solution for the next time I get abducted by aliens [there seems to be a correlation to generous consumption of tequila; aliens must like tequila].

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.