VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sawsomething about SPOT tracking. If you use one, would you recommend it? What do you like about it? It looks like you might be able to track your progress on a mapping program.
Why would you use this instead of a GPS system? Would you use this as well if you do have a GPS? I don't have a GPS system and have used the non tech solution of paper maps for finding my way :) Checking in with family on a regular basis can be a challenge when there isn't cell service. I ride all over the USA and Canada every summer.
If there are posts about this already, I don't know how to find them... so just redirect me if there is one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Interesting post.
My understanding of Spot is that it's used most commonly by adventure riders to identify their location and trip progress, particularly in remote locations. It's useful for friends& family - and the rider! - to ensure the rider is safe & sound. There's a one-touch 911 button.
It's probably not as critical for riders that don't stray off the beaten path but if you do a lot of bike travelling it could be a literal life saver. I believe there are a couple of plans avaialble.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

·
Registered
255 Posts
The SPOT system and a GPS serve two completely different purposes using the same basic technology. A GPS is a navigation tool for the rider. It allows the rider to set destinations and then guide him or her to the set destination. Some allow the rider to program routes inaddition toautomatic route finding software used by the GPS itself to determine routing. The SPOT system keeps track of the rider's current location at any given time and, when activated by the rider, can notify emergency service personel of that location so that they may respond. It can also, when properly activated, send the rider's present location by a couple of methods, to persons selected by the rider. It is not a navigation system, it has no map display that can be seen or used by the rider nor any way to guide a rider to a specific location nor any cache of gas stations, restaurants, lodgings, stores etc. in the rider's immediate area at the time,which can be accessed by the rider "on the fly" and immediately set as a destination to which the GPS will then guide the rider. In short, neither can be used as a substitute for the other.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i think it's a really neat idea, however like most things requires a monthly subscription. I only ride 9 months a year and only travel out of my region 4 or 5. I wish they had a monthly plan vs an annual plan but I doubt they'd be to able to survive that way.

It's the same for me with satellite radio. I love the service but need to switch it back and forth between the vehicles I'm driving(summer/winter). They complained they didn't like doing that so I just up and canceled. It be nice if they converted their setup to a chip that you plug in to units to activate the unit you want to listen to at the moment vs paying for 2 or 3 radios that don't see constant use.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can see where I utilized my SPOT tracker on this short trip here:(page 2)
As already covered by the others it provides your gps location, when in tracking mode, every ten minutes. My wife enjoyed being able to track my progress on this ride while she was at home on a shared page I set up for her.
If I run into problems and I am out of cell phone range, I can send out two different types of messages: One: if I'm simply disabled and need a tow (non emergency), etc., A pre-typed message is sent to emails and cell phones of those I choose. In it is my AMA member number and phone, and to please send assistance. Two: Is for a 911 emergency situation of any kind and the calvary will be sent out to your location.
If nothing else it's peace of mind.
It's about $140 a year with the tracking feature added. The gps map is interactive, the waypoints can be clicked and relative information displayed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bhayes said:
If nothing else it's peace of mind.
It's about $140 a year with the tracking feature added.
That $140 would certainly seem like money well-spent if a rider needed help that was only the push of a button away. Considering some of the travel we do on 2 wheels this seems like a reasonable investment. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
207 Posts

My wife and I purchased a Spot when they first came out a few years back. Before we rediscovered two wheel travel we were avid Lake Ontario sailors. Good to know if your batteries and VHF radio are suddenly below the water line that you have a waterproof device that floats and has a 911 button on it to summon the helicopters.
After we started taking dryer, dustier two wheeltrips we brought it along to keep our contacts at home up to date on our progress at the end of each day. We don't subscribe to instant tracking. Last year Spot introduced a roadside assistance program which we quickly signed up for when we learned that it included motorcycles. As long you are in a location that is accessible to the towing service in your area,they will send help with the push of a button including out of gas situations.
The good news is that you can transfer the portable device to whatever mode of transportation you are taking that day, your bike, your wife's bike, your car, boat, bicycleetc. According to the banker of the house we paid $28.32 for the roadside assistance optionlast year.
We have two 911 messages registered on ours. One for if we our out on the water, giving a description of our boat, and another for if we are on dry land. For less than a hundred and a half a year you just can't beat the piece of mind it offers.
The company recently introduce a new version or the devicewhich is smaller, lighter and supposed to give better performance than the one we have. The Canadian web site is at http://www.findmespot.ca/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

FishWitch said:
I ride alone alot and in the mountains cell phones are hit & miss. Here's my ride last week to Laughlin to the SW Victory meet

CLICK
Wow - Sweet! Wish I were down in the warmer climate to be riding with you! I like the tracking. It seems to be a nice way of recording your progress.
thanks bunches for sharing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't seem to find any retailers in Ontario and in looking online at the SPOT website... they seem to be out of stock for online purchase. Crazy way to run a business. Anybody know where I can get one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.