VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this is not Vic related.
Recently there was a fairly long thread about riding curves with a lot of good input.
Somebody posted about not being in ego & just riding for the joy of it, the thrill of it & that it just felt natural to do it.
We also talked about "Oh Sh*t" moments & how panic is the real killer.
All good stuff.

So I go out on the Guzzi Griso while that thread is still active riding roads that I have been on many, many times before.
Go into a familiar curve & start to get a wobble. Never had that happen on this bike before.
I just put a Continental on the back & still have a Shinko up front.
I'll say it now: I do not think it was the tires!!!!

I'm posting a video so please watch it all the way thru because after the first curve with the wobble I take two more with no problems.
I've watched this clip at least a dozen times & still cannot figure out what I did wrong.
Wish I could slow it down.
Grate full for input.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
First thing I noticed was your position in the lane. The first curve you are nearly dead center. Could be some oil or other fluid in the center of the turn. Other two curves you are in the wheel tracks for cars. Less likely to have slippery stuff. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I have watched it 3 times and am not able to see what caused the issue based on the camera position. It's tough to detect exactly when the wobble starts in the video. Obviously somewhere in that first curve. Maybe that front tire isn't in balance anymore? When is the last time you checked your air pressure? Both complete guesses. I look forwarding to hearing the input of others.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air pressure was just done the day before when the new tire was put on.

In the vid when I start to move to the left (off the grease slick) is when the wobble started.
If the volume is up you may hear the engine change just a bit.
Not sure if that has a bearing or not.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Since the tire was installed the day before, how many miles were on the tire? Sometimes there can be manufacturing residue on them. Saw some guys talking about giving them a bubble bath when new, but that's just some weird fetish thing I think. Only two more turns in the video. Did it happen anymore after the one instance that isn't in the video?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No more wobble, I rode all that day & the next with no problems.
That was the first curve I had put it in & had only been riding about 15/20 minutes.
Could it be the tire needed to get "hot"?

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Since the tire was installed the day before, how many miles were on the tire? Sometimes there can be manufacturing residue on them. Saw some guys talking about giving them a bubble bath when new, but that's just some weird fetish thing I think. Only two more turns in the video. Did it happen anymore after the one instance that isn't in the video?
I thought the rear was changed the day prior and the front was not?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire pressure was checked on front the day before.
The day the tire was installed I had put about 35/40 miles on it maybe a bit more.
Next day was when the vid was shot so maybe total of 50 or so miles on rear & about 2500 on front.

Reactions: tree1979

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I thought the rear was changed the day prior and the front was not?
Wobble could have been caused by the rear.

If it didn't happen again, I'd still think it could have been something in the road you didn't see.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Can an un-scuffed rear create a front end wobble in a curve? I wouldn't think so; I would think the rear would just start to slip out on you.
Video wasn't clear enough for me to guess if its front end "wobble" or rear end sliding. I've had a rear tire slide on me on tar snakes, and it resulted in a similar scenario as the video. To my "untrained" eye, it looks like the bike just gets out of a groove and slides over. No blatant "wobble".

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Sometimes the yellow lines on the road can be slick as eel sh!t. Maybe just a mis-match of the tires exaggerated by the painted lines when you got on them. As soon as you were wide of the paint, she came back around and acted right. If the tire is scrubbed in now and it's not doing it any more, I wouldn't worry about it. Sh!t happens.

·
My Ride My Wrench
120 Posts
Not sure I could classify that as a wobble (it looks like the front looses traction tho), not enough video. At about the 5-6 second mark it appears the instrument cluster starts to move as you pass over a dark spot in the pavement that fades to the left: an oil smear perhaps?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
First this is not Vic related.
Recently there was a fairly long thread about riding curves with a lot of good input.
Somebody posted about not being in ego & just riding for the joy of it, the thrill of it & that it just felt natural to do it.
We also talked about "Oh Sh*t" moments & how panic is the real killer.
All good stuff.

So I go out on the Guzzi Griso while that thread is still active riding roads that I have been on many, many times before.
Go into a familiar curve & start to get a wobble. Never had that happen on this bike before.
I just put a Continental on the back & still have a Shinko up front.
I'll say it now: I do not think it was the tires!!!!

I'm posting a video so please watch it all the way thru because after the first curve with the wobble I take two more with no problems.
I've watched this clip at least a dozen times & still cannot figure out what I did wrong.
Wish I could slow it down.
Grate full for input.

That looked like a load wobble, can you adjust your rear shock? Also with 50 miles on the rear prob doesn't help at speed.. it also appeared to me your body wasnt leaning with the curve...

Now here's where I'm gonna sound like an asshole and I'm sorry beforehand.

You come in choking the curves, meaning your taking corners backwards... Your diving to the inside, then outside, should be outside to inside to outside. For left corners it's a bit trickier because there's typically gravel and dirt near the shoulder....

Just be careful, and recheck everything that could have been touched... Get more miles on that rear before you start pushing harder...

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...as I head into a corner I relax the throttle to get the lean angle, (centrifugal force wants to stand the bike to an upright position [centrifugal force is emphasized when power is put to the wheels]) then I hold power and accelerate after the apex of the curve ... that is just what works for me ... as for the wobble, it can be induced by sharply letting go of the throttle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Had the exact thing happen riding my new 09 Aprilia RSV in 2011. Was digging in some curves hard following another bike, left, right, all is good, bike is dialed in, I'm dialed in, then comes a right turn and I find myself crossing the line. To this day I still don't know why, not the bike, tires, road... Had to be rider input, the only thing I can come up with to this day.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After reading these posts I'm gonna say that it may have not been a wobble but possibly a bit of a slide and when the bike caught traction again that was the wobble I felt. I have had tank slappers & it sure wasn't that, more of "she shook her head a little bit".

@nickr914 No offense taken man I'm grate full for all of the input & if it helps somebody else better yet.
The old saying about teaching old dogs fits here & what you learn early on stays with you.

The "center grease slick" is not as much as an issue in today's world as it was back in the 60's & 70's in pre-pollution control times.
For instance: cars pre about 1965 vented the crank case to the atmosphere, small block chevy's had a metal tube that ran down the back of the engine & blow by was just dumped on the road.
Vehicles leaked a bunch of oil back then also & this is what created the grease slick.

When I first started riding on the street the "old guys" were constantly warning about the grease slick, it got stuck in my head.
So I learned to corner in a very narrow path never crossing the grease line.
I do the O-I-O cornering, sometimes & sometimes it's just following old habits.

It won't look like I lean into a curve because I keep my head upright, body leans but head stays parallel to road.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
After reading these posts I'm gonna say that it may have not been a wobble but possibly a bit of a slide and when the bike caught traction again that was the wobble I felt. I have had tank slappers & it sure wasn't that, more of "she shook her head a little bit".

@nickr914 No offense taken man I'm grate full for all of the input & if it helps somebody else better yet.
The old saying about teaching old dogs fits here & what you learn early on stays with you.

The "center grease slick" is not as much as an issue in today's world as it was back in the 60's & 70's in pre-pollution control times.
For instance: cars pre about 1965 vented the crank case to the atmosphere, small block chevy's had a metal tube that ran down the back of the engine & blow by was just dumped on the road.
Vehicles leaked a bunch of oil back then also & this is what created the grease slick.

When I first started riding on the street the "old guys" were constantly warning about the grease slick, it got stuck in my head.
So I learned to corner in a very narrow path never crossing the grease line.
I do the O-I-O cornering, sometimes & sometimes it's just following old habits.

It won't look like I lean into a curve because I keep my head upright, body leans but head stays parallel to road.
Gotcha, I understand that, there are days I just weight a cheek, and foot, then days my head is in the mirror, all depends... Hell I ride the outside, and got real used to making sure the corner was clear before going inside... Nothing like coming round a corner and see a horse ass!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Also, I put about 100-300 miles depending on feel, on a new tire before I start hitting curves, just new cold rubber gets slick...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing like coming round a corner and see a horse ass!!!!!!!
Or a farm tractor.
Or a gator, thought it was a log then the ba$tard moved, good thing he was heading off road if he had crossed to the other side I would've hit him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.