VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Vegas. Yesterday the speedometer started bouncing between 0 and 60 mph.

I was traveling at about 60 mph the few times it happened.

Has anyone had this problem? Any way I can fix it myself? Do I need a whole new speedometer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lost my speedo last week then the tac quit and a couple of miles later the bike just stopped. Turn out I had a bad battery. 06 kinpin with the same battery that came in the bike. So yours sounds like something electrical.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Kevin is usually right on the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing on my 09 KP, the tech at my dealer said to unplug the sensor and plug it back in, this worked great speedo has worked fine for the last 500 miles.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Completely different sensors 01-06 then 05and up 100". The later sensors have conector issues, and the early ones have; being a piece of junk issues. The replacement sensor is MUCH better then the original. You will find it under the front sprocket cover "looking" at the drive teeth

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I cleaned mine with electrical parts cleaner and its working fine now.
I guess if it starts acting up again I'll at least know where the issue is, and I can get a replacement.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
top_pin said:
I cleaned mine with electrical parts cleaner and its working fine now.
I guess if it starts acting up again I'll at least know where the issue is, and I can get a replacement.
Thanks for all the help!
It's gonna fail again; next time it gets wet

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guys, really. One of the reasons we frequent these places is to take advantage of the knowledge base and fellowship here. There is a core group of enthusiasts and true subject matter experts virtually at our disposal. When the likes of Lloyd, KevinX and their peers give us this information, it behooves us to listen.

This has the potential to be a safety issue. Devil said after the problem started his bike quit on him. Kevin is convinced that your parts will fail you the next time they get wet. For the same reason we change our tires when they are worn, for our safety and the peace of mind of those we love, we keep our machines a safe as we can. It sure would suck if an engine quit while in a highway speed turn and the tire either locked or braked into a skid. All for want of an $80 dollar part?

For those who believe they are the master of their own destinies, their fate lies in their own hands.-Unknown (Unless anyone claims it, then it's MINE!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PrometheusVII said:
Guys, really. One of the reasons we frequent these places is to take advantage of the knowledge base and fellowship here. There is a core group of enthusiasts and true subject matter experts virtually at our disposal. When the likes of Lloyd, KevinX and their peers give us this information, it behooves us to listen.

This has the potential to be a safety issue. Devil said after the problem started his bike quit on him. Kevin is convinced that your parts will fail you the next time they get wet. For the same reason we change our tires when they are worn, for our safety and the peace of mind of those we love, we keep our machines a safe as we can. It sure would suck if an engine quit while in a highway speed turn and the tire either locked or braked into a skid. All for want of an $80 dollar part?

For those who believe they are the master of their own destinies, their fate lies in their own hands.-Unknown (Unless anyone claims it, then it's MINE!)
Devil also said that his turned out to be a bad battery.

I think everyone is listening, thats why the post is here.

I doubt a bad speed sensor is going to "lock up" the bike, but thanks for your concern.

I simply wanted to eliminate all potential faults other than the sensor, and I did that by listening to the great knowledge posted her.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Devil' symptoms included loss of tach referance, and total failure of his speedo. Different symptoms.

A shorted speed sensor can, and will shut down your bike, and just to make things interesting; when it goes like that it tends to blow the headlight fuse. Don't ask me why the hell they would make it work likr that. Just the way it is

All that said. The type of failure TP listed is HIGHLY unlikly to stall the bike, or blow the fuse. I was just pointing out that it was going to fail again. So he would not be surprised, and go hunting after something else instead of dealing with the real problem.

Am am not always right though, but have a pretty strong batting average. Trying to diag a bike over the web presents certain challenges

·
Registered
399 Posts
As KevinX said, it has the potential to to cause the engine to shut down. If it does so at speed, in gear, with the clutch transferring engine motion to the rear tire, when the engine is shut off (fuel, air or spark deprived) the drive-line will begin an engine braking dynamic that, based on the amount of traction available, could cause anything from minor deceleration to trail braking and up to stopping the rear tire from spinning faster than the bike is able to come to a stop. Please note, I never said it would "lock up the bike", I said it could lock the tire (to stop it in motion relative to the speed it is traveling down the road).

If one were to be going straight on a dry clean uncrowded well maintained road this might not be much of a problem. Add the distinct possibility of being on a wet, sand or gravel dusted, under maintained or even crowded road while anything but perfectly vertical, and the potential for disaster does not seem so distant. Also, as KevinX pointed out it could cause your driving light to go out. Add the possibility of trying to handle this at night and it becomes nightmarish.

I apologize if it seemed as if I were berating you, I was not trying to do so. A lot of new/inexperienced riders frequent these forums for advice. I wanted to use your instance as an opportunity for those newbs to gain some insight on the subject. Hopefully surviving long enough to become seasoned experienced bikers.

IMHO, bike maintenance is the single most important act (next to not driving under the influence) we can take to prevent disaster on the road. Cagers will inevitably cut you off, debris will always be left/fall into the road. Actively scanning the road and looking for danger while planning to keep an escape route open is important, but brakes that slow you down, tires that are not overly worn and grip the road, and a properly distributed and not overloaded weight load with a well responding suspension are the foundation for safe riding.

Just my $0.02 worth, I will get off the soap box now...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually KevinX said that my type of failure is unlikely to stall the bike and blow the headlight fuse.

Again, thanks for your concern, all I was trying to accomplish was locating the problem, and I did with help from Kevin...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great! Happy riding!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.