Spark Plug Wire Alternatives | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Spark Plug Wire Alternatives

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by BBob, Nov 7, 2017.

1. BBob

BBob Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    11 XC, 04 KP
    Okay, I'm happy to report there are alternatives to the Victory, $40 a pair spark plug wires.

Common thinking is the Victory wires are somehow special and that may be true for the Vision and XC with a stereo due to ignition noise being transferred through the radio but for all other Victory's it's simply a matter of matching up the ends and getting close to the length or coiling them.

I somehow pulled the metal end off one of the plug wires from my Kingpin so I started looking for replacements and was (again) shocked they were charging in the neighborhood of $40 a set so I looked at the ends and checked out ebay where I could see the ends.

I noticed one set of yellow 8mm wires for a 4 cyl Ford Focus had the right ends for my KP; one end 90 degrees and the other relatively straight for $19 mini-2017-11-07-12h50m21.JPG mini-2017-11-07-12h51m04.JPG mini-2017-11-07-12h50m48.JPG mini-2017-11-07-12h51m26.JPG 2000.2004FordFocus.jpg . I put them on today, along with a new set of plugs and my sluggish motor was awake again and running like new. Best it has in a long time. Plus, even though 2 of the 4 wires are kinda long, I have the option of using them in the future if I want to. I'll just have to coil them or cut them down to length. If nothing else; I can use them for trouble shooting. Pic's below. I've included a pic of the coil end of my XC since a lot of us ride those. The other ends are straight. So you do have options which is important as we go forward with our little orphan Annies.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Plumbcrazy13

Plumbcrazy13 New Member

10 Cross Country & 06 Jack Pot
    Looks good with yellow wires. I always put dielectric grease inside boot. JUST a DAB !!! I ALWAYS Remove Boot with Needle Nose Pliers. When putting on Boot make sure it CLICKS.. I Noticed mine didn't click. My Boot slide up spark plug wire, which in turn WASNT allowing wire to click onto plug. I checked Depth of Boot with eraser end of a Pencil..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BBob

BBob Well-Known Member

11 XC, 04 KP
    Notice the funny looking (almost) needle nose pliers with the kind of round end? I bought those after using some other pliers to pull the boot off the plug. They are specially designed to reach around the boot so it can be pulled out with a universal grip around the boot. Seems to work pretty good.

I too use dielectric grease in the boot and around the outside of the coil to seal it from moisture.

You can see the rusted plug in the same picture. I think those were the original plugs and wires. The bike has almost 19k miles on it now. With two bikes it's easy to split the mileage.

I was stunned at the difference 2 new plugs and wires made. I'll be doing my XC soon too; at least the plugs. Maybe I'll try using the remaining two yellow plug wires from the 2000-2004 Ford Focus. I might find a set of wires that has a straight coil boot first though or just put these on and see if they make a difference after running it with just a plug change first to see if I can feel and hear a difference like on the KP.

I'm going to start changing out my plugs more often. They aren't expensive so why not change them proactively rather than reactively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I pulled the plug leads off my New Vegas 8 ball when doing the 500 mile initial check. Sure enough, I pulled the end of the ignition lead, just like you and others mention. The reason, no dielectric grease used in manufacture and assembly. I tried to get warranty. My dealer really helped me but had to tell Polaris a story to get the part replaced under warranty. They wouldn't warrant it if a dealer didn't do the work!! Typical Polaris bullshit.

Anyway, I bought a lead for the rear cylinder, in case I had weakened that one. Cost me over $40.

I learned two valuable lessons. 1. Use needle nose pliers to remove the rubber boots from the spark plugs, 2. Assume Polaris will not honor their warranty commitments if you work on your own bike. BTW, I'm 67 and have worked on bikes since I was 15, doing all my own maintenance, even major stuff.

Thanks so much for the heads up about the Focus ignition leads fitting. I think they will fit my Vegas too, so I'm making a note of it. You did a nice job with the install, particularly routing them to take advantage of the extra length.

5. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    Do they come in BLACK :biggrin:

6. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    BBOB
    do the copper connectors on your new wires that plug into coil the same as the oem wires

7. BBob

BBob Well-Known Member

11 XC, 04 KP
    I'm not sure what you mean but both ends fit just fine but remember; this was on my 04 Kingpin. It might be different on a Vision or X bike. I haven't tried to fit them on my XC yet.

I just changed the plugs and wires on my little Saturn car and it runs smoother now. Soon I'll have all my vehicles all tuned up and ready for the next 5-10 years of running. I might get out to the garage and see if these yellow plug wires will fit the coil end of the XC. If they do then I might run them on it. I'll come back and let you know if I do.

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Lloyds sells the best Spark plug wires for our bikes. They actually work and give a little better throttle response. Smooth out engine vibes. Firepower ! Getcha some.

9. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    more than likely it's all in your head

10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    711AE59F-0469-4A8D-9023-337ED668E7FE.png Nope ..... not in my head. Lloyd said so right here. These are the best !

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WHITE_VIC

Victory cross country
    He'll tell you whatever you want to hear to sell a product.

12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    You just stop it ! Say it isn’t so !

13. WHITE_VIC

Victory cross country
    after market wires that try to sell you some bs marketing are usually just hype. Unless they were bad to begin with, you won't notice a difference

14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I didn’t notice much just a little improvement. ...... And I know this about advertising hype . They are custom cut for our bikes and I had a choice of colors. They are still high quality wires. Besides I didn’t mind throwing $$ Lloyds way.
    I still recommend them.

15. WHITE_VIC

Victory cross country
    Nothing wrong with changing colors