VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm happy to report there are alternatives to the Victory, $40 a pair spark plug wires.

Common thinking is the Victory wires are somehow special and that may be true for the Vision and XC with a stereo due to ignition noise being transferred through the radio but for all other Victory's it's simply a matter of matching up the ends and getting close to the length or coiling them.

I somehow pulled the metal end off one of the plug wires from my Kingpin so I started looking for replacements and was (again) shocked they were charging in the neighborhood of $40 a set so I looked at the ends and checked out ebay where I could see the ends.

I noticed one set of yellow 8mm wires for a 4 cyl Ford Focus had the right ends for my KP; one end 90 degrees and the other relatively straight for $19
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
White Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Helmet Grille Hood Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Orange
Font Cable Wire Fashion accessory Auto part
. I put them on today, along with a new set of plugs and my sluggish motor was awake again and running like new. Best it has in a long time. Plus, even though 2 of the 4 wires are kinda long, I have the option of using them in the future if I want to. I'll just have to coil them or cut them down to length. If nothing else; I can use them for trouble shooting. Pic's below. I've included a pic of the coil end of my XC since a lot of us ride those. The other ends are straight. So you do have options which is important as we go forward with our little orphan Annies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks good with yellow wires. I always put dielectric grease inside boot. JUST a DAB !!! I ALWAYS Remove Boot with Needle Nose Pliers. When putting on Boot make sure it CLICKS.. I Noticed mine didn't click. My Boot slide up spark plug wire, which in turn WASNT allowing wire to click onto plug. I checked Depth of Boot with eraser end of a Pencil..

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Notice the funny looking (almost) needle nose pliers with the kind of round end? I bought those after using some other pliers to pull the boot off the plug. They are specially designed to reach around the boot so it can be pulled out with a universal grip around the boot. Seems to work pretty good.

I too use dielectric grease in the boot and around the outside of the coil to seal it from moisture.

You can see the rusted plug in the same picture. I think those were the original plugs and wires. The bike has almost 19k miles on it now. With two bikes it's easy to split the mileage.

I was stunned at the difference 2 new plugs and wires made. I'll be doing my XC soon too; at least the plugs. Maybe I'll try using the remaining two yellow plug wires from the 2000-2004 Ford Focus. I might find a set of wires that has a straight coil boot first though or just put these on and see if they make a difference after running it with just a plug change first to see if I can feel and hear a difference like on the KP.

I'm going to start changing out my plugs more often. They aren't expensive so why not change them proactively rather than reactively.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I pulled the plug leads off my New Vegas 8 ball when doing the 500 mile initial check. Sure enough, I pulled the end of the ignition lead, just like you and others mention. The reason, no dielectric grease used in manufacture and assembly. I tried to get warranty. My dealer really helped me but had to tell Polaris a story to get the part replaced under warranty. They wouldn't warrant it if a dealer didn't do the work!! Typical Polaris bull****.

Anyway, I bought a lead for the rear cylinder, in case I had weakened that one. Cost me over $40.

I learned two valuable lessons. 1. Use needle nose pliers to remove the rubber boots from the spark plugs, 2. Assume Polaris will not honor their warranty commitments if you work on your own bike. BTW, I'm 67 and have worked on bikes since I was 15, doing all my own maintenance, even major stuff.

Thanks so much for the heads up about the Focus ignition leads fitting. I think they will fit my Vegas too, so I'm making a note of it. You did a nice job with the install, particularly routing them to take advantage of the extra length.

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Okay, I'm happy to report there are alternatives to the Victory, $40 a pair spark plug wires.

Common thinking is the Victory wires are somehow special and that may be true for the Vision and XC with a stereo due to ignition noise being transferred through the radio but for all other Victory's it's simply a matter of matching up the ends and getting close to the length or coiling them.

I somehow pulled the metal end off one of the plug wires from my Kingpin so I started looking for replacements and was (again) shocked they were charging in the neighborhood of $40 a set so I looked at the ends and checked out ebay where I could see the ends.

I noticed one set of yellow 8mm wires for a 4 cyl Ford Focus had the right ends for my KP; one end 90 degrees and the other relatively straight for $19 View attachment 375841 View attachment 375849 View attachment 375857 View attachment 375865 View attachment 375873 . I put them on today, along with a new set of plugs and my sluggish motor was awake again and running like new. Best it has in a long time. Plus, even though 2 of the 4 wires are kinda long, I have the option of using them in the future if I want to. I'll just have to coil them or cut them down to length. If nothing else; I can use them for trouble shooting. Pic's below. I've included a pic of the coil end of my XC since a lot of us ride those. The other ends are straight. So you do have options which is important as we go forward with our little orphan Annies.
Do they come in BLACK :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BBOB
do the copper connectors on your new wires that plug into coil the same as the oem wires
I'm not sure what you mean but both ends fit just fine but remember; this was on my 04 Kingpin. It might be different on a Vision or X bike. I haven't tried to fit them on my XC yet.

I just changed the plugs and wires on my little Saturn car and it runs smoother now. Soon I'll have all my vehicles all tuned up and ready for the next 5-10 years of running. I might get out to the garage and see if these yellow plug wires will fit the coil end of the XC. If they do then I might run them on it. I'll come back and let you know if I do.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Lloyds sells the best Spark plug wires for our bikes. They actually work and give a little better throttle response. Smooth out engine vibes. Firepower ! Getcha some.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Font Screenshot Event Magenta Document
Nope ..... not in my head. Lloyd said so right here. These are the best !

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
I didn’t notice much just a little improvement. ...... And I know this about advertising hype . They are custom cut for our bikes and I had a choice of colors. They are still high quality wires. Besides I didn’t mind throwing $$ Lloyds way.
I still recommend them.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
I liked the purple ones. I still have a set of Black Vic wires and a set of red Taylor’s if anyone’s interested ?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BBOB
do the copper connectors on your new wires that plug into coil the same as the oem wires
Sorry it took so long to check but I finally am able to update this thread with more info.

From what I can tell; the common car plug wires (8mm or larger) work fine on my 2004 KP but they didn't work on my 2011 XC because there's a ridge near the top of the metal/copper connector that snaps into the coil. The plug end is no problem. The only reason I can think of for Polaris/Victory to do this is make sure the wire didn't walk out of the coil. Also the boot on the coil end is shorter than normal so I sacrificed one of the yellow wires by cutting the boot down to fit but no joy; it still didn't snap in like it should have.

There may be a way to alter the end or there may be other makes and models of something other than Victory that uses this design. If I worked at an Auto Zone or other auto parts store I could maybe check everything in stock to see. I may stop by one just to see if anyone recognizes this little difference. It isn't just to avoid paying $40 plus bucks; at some point a difference source may need to be found as less and less shops carry these basic items.

I can't say for sure but I believe pre-2006 bikes will for sure use the standard style plug wires. If people who have later model steel frame bikes want to pull their coil end plug wire to see if there's a little ridge around the top; we can add that info to this thread as well.

It would be great if techs like KevinX had more time to peruse these forums like he used to when he worked at a dealership but with their own shops; they are far too busy to do that any more. Maybe someone can ask Kevin, Rylan, Kyle, or any other good Victory tech/Mech.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more source for plug wires. They are in Canada which will help some and cost more for others and the website is a little hinkey but I think it's on the up and up. I ordered a new set for my XC from them so I'll post here how that goes.

Taylor Cable Products - Ignition Plug Wires & High-Performance Auto Parts They only sell 2008 and up plug wires for Victory.

According to that site; pretty much all 100" and 106" plug wires are the same so I'm going to assume for now that all 2008 and up wires are the same. Not sure about 2006-2007 but I'm thinking 2005 and older can use standard car wires that are 8mm or larger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You got me excited for a minute there... But nope they are not Canadian. From the link you posted: "Taylor Cable’s Corporate Office and Manufacturing Facility is located in Grandview, Missouri, a Kansas City suburb." Did you unintentionally order from a Canadian distributer? The site lists over 1000 American dealers that carry their product but less than 100 Canadian.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Apparently their online ordering through that website is either based in Canada or something because when you put something in the cart then go to check out you get this message. The shipping was $12 which a bit high for shipping within the Conti USA.

For International orders outside Canada, the shipping and handling may be increased. You will receive an email for you approval within 24 business hours if there are any changes.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong. Isn't the USA outside Canada and an international order?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.