Sound, Sound, SOUND | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Sound, Sound, SOUND

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by HueyFIFL, Jun 3, 2012.

1. HueyFIFL

HueyFIFL Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    Background:I have been in the auto stereo/ and car scene since I could drive and even before, and take pride and passion into the hobby. since I've been out for a few years, I have noticed that there is new technology to learn, and products to research. So after initial thinking and planning, this will be my set up as late as next year, or as early as fall. Between vacations, and other places money is going, this mod isn't (nor are any of my "custom" mods) High on the list. But I'd thought i get it out to anyone looking for a good/great set up for the bikes. I always feel that if you have to spend some extra money to get a higher quality product, then it is meant to be. so that being said, i also understand that people don't have thousands to spend on stuff. First is the amp, my number 1 choice is the Alpine PDX 4.1. This marine grade amp is ready to go to pound town. Plenty of power for everyone, electrically safe to be in the weather and its marine grade, that word is meant to make it seem more durable. The speakers that I'm going for is the polk dxi 650's. This is a 6.5" speaker, with a tweeter. as you all know the larger cone allows for better mid range, and the tweeter allows for those crisp highs. these are separated (mid cone is continuous in the whole bowl) to allow for much better sound. So next to these products, ill need the 6.5 bezels, wiring and about a case of beer to get it in the bike, The amp is slightly larger than the rockford fosgate pbr, but there is a ton of room behind that faring, unless you want to give up some of that bag space. I'm shooting to get it in the fairing though. Hope this helps some, or raises more questions for others.

2. KOTOR

KOTOR Member

Cross Country Tour
    Keep us posted on the install and post some pics if you can. Looks interesting.

3. Potty

Potty Member

2011 Cross Country
    I'm new to this bike and would like to upgrade the system also. Has anyone just added a good 2 channel amp to the stock system? Is upgrading the stock speakers the first thing to do. I'm thinking more power should be first. To who has put an amp on their bike, how hard is it? I think I would mount the amp in the fairing but was wondering if it would get any air movement inside to cool. Open to suggestions.

4. HueyFIFL

HueyFIFL Member

I have the Kicker 5.25 from victory... only reason i have them are because the bike came with them. I guess it comes down like selecting a diamond Cut (size of speaker), Clarity (sound quality), and color (Ok cant assimilate but the last is the power). I'm going with the 4 channel, only because it gives you options onto what you want to do in the future. You could always put some speakers in the lids and get better sound, or when you get a trunk you will have sufficient power to supply to those back speakers. A quick nice option for a moderately inexpensive amp is the rockford fosgate pbr 300x4. Although more research is in order, as i have heard of some horror stories with that particular amp. As for mounting to provide air flow, amps have been packed away in trunks and less than optimal locations in cars for year. having ours where they are, is leaps and bounds ahead. On top of that the amps under normal conditions should be fine. however when they are under heavy/extreme loads, then they might warm up a little bit, personally im not too worried about it.

5. HueyFIFL

HueyFIFL Member

Parts list for those following: As of right now I'm looking at purchasing the following; 5.25 to 6.5 adapter rings: [link='http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/product-p/6-5-inch-speaker-adapters.htm']http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/product-p/6-5-inch-speaker-adapters.htm[/link] Replacement Baffles: [link='http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9441_Metra-81-4300.html?SearchClickout[query_id]=8735113&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1']http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9441_Metra-81-4300.html?SearchClickout[query_id]=8735113&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1[/link] As far as modification of the faring/ speakers/ adapters, I do not know, but these adapters direct the speakers more torward the center of the fairing, so my guess if you use a shallow speaker, there shouldn't be any issues.

6. bfdvp71

bfdvp71 Member

2013 Victory Cross Country Touring Boardwalk Blue

Do you have pictures of the install procees and or a synopsis of all the work you had to do for install ? Audio clips of before and after ??

7. Kris

Kris Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour & 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250

I put in four Polk Audio 5.25 marine grade (135 Watts) speakers, with a Rockford Fosgate 300 watt4 channel amp. I was suprised that I have blown two speakers so far. The speakers seem to overheat when played at high volume for hours on end (all day rides). The first time I blew a speaker, it took the amp with it. Both were fried. Hats off to Rockford for replacing the amp free of charge, but they lose points for not putting in protective circutry to protect the amp when a speaker shorts. Anyway, the speakers sound good, but don't seem to hold up all that well, in my experiance. Polk Audio tells me the voice coils are designed to melt down at 300 degrees. I would have thought that a 135 watt speaker would be able to handle the power from the amp (75 watts per channel max).

8. CBBCROSSCOUNTRY

CBBCROSSCOUNTRY Active Member

VICTORY CROSS COUNTRY

huey, i put 6.5 speakers in and those were the baffles i used. the baffles are to small, ( not deep enough ). the cone couldnt flex. the baffle cant be any deeper, or it would need to be custom. the outer fairing was against the corner of the baffle. i removed the baffles, sounds better in this case with out.

9. CBBCROSSCOUNTRY

CBBCROSSCOUNTRY Active Member

VICTORY CROSS COUNTRY

also, didnt know theres a pearl white 2010 country. was it year end produced?