VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen this discussed before, but I've never imagined that my pant leg would actually be enough to dull thefinish on my "tank". I wear jeans, and chaps very seldom. I have Liquid Glass all over it- several coats in fact. I don't think much of this clear coat problem!

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I've been in and around body shops for 40 years. Jeans are a very rough material to be rubbing on any paint and will dull any finish. Victory uses 2 part Urethane clear coats, it doesn't get any better than that. I can dull any paint job by rubbing it with blue jeans. We use very soft micro fiber cloths to do any rubbing on our urethanes. Hand or machine buff with a fine polishing compound to bring back the luster followed by wax.
It's not the paint.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ive seen what happens to a paint job after someone has tied down a jacket or some plastic for protection , and it has come loose slightly and flapped against the paint for 200 miles. Right through all clear AND color ! the sit and scratch their heads and wonder " Now how did that happen"
Whether your on a bike or even a car, if something is rubbing against something else for long enough, a lot of damage can happen.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If things don't wear a lot of maintenance workers including me are out of work.

Can polish slow down the wearing process?

Most materials are abrasive. I did not realise how harsh cotton wool was until I had shingles.

Ride and repaint.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I have the same problem on sportbikes, actually every bike I have owned. I put a clear 3mfilm on the Vegas before we went down to the Keys and it was hardly noticable. On the sportbikes just slap any removable sticker on them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm thinking about the film or a good quality tape) but won't the adhesive eat the paint?
Or, where would I find just the film?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Dimonback. An auto paint or marine paint store will sell vinyl film. This is the same product I've seen on a new Ferrari (had to look bcuz the paint looked different on the black nose of the car). Prostripe p/n R81101 is a roll 5-7/8inx 20 ft, called Protective Bodyguard. Apply to the area you want to protect and rub it with a cloth to get major bubbles out, small bubbles will show but disappear later. I've used this film so many ways, from new truck rocker panels to leading edge of the hood. It's removable with careful application of heat. I've got it on a 2002 vehicle since new and no worries. Shark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.