VOG Forum banner

smaller victory

7427 131
when the dealer meetings come around i always have this conversation with my dealer.i ask him if he thinks victory will come out with a smaller bike.his answer is always the same.no,it wouldnt be cost effective.so how about some input from everyone here on whyvictory should or shouldnt consider doing this.
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Point being 1.8 billion is not much when you are talking about manufacturers. Also, Polaris answers to it's shareholders not to us and if the numbers arent there.... Well we seen what happened to the watercrafts...
Since Victory sales are 80+% better than the first quarter of 2009, I doubt the company will sh*t-can Victory just yet...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
dsjr70 said:
Point being 1.8 billion is not much when you are talking about manufacturers. Also, Polaris answers to it's shareholders not to us and if the numbers arent there.... Well we seen what happened to the watercrafts...
Since Victory sales are 80+% better than the first quarter of 2009, I doubt the company will sh!t-can Victory just yet...
They are up and that is good, but that was also the worse quarter in the companies history.
We are just a line item on a spreadsheet to Polaris and to our dealers. Both need to move units to make it viable to stay in business.
To us it is all about emotion to them it is about business and I will go back to my first statement. The facts are there, Victory will have a smaller entry level bike they have shown their interest with the Vision 800 and there has to be a reason they purchased the power sport division of Swiss Auto. Swiss Auto manufactures one of the best 250cc water-cooled motors out there and has no history with large displacement V-Twins.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
Thats still 4k more then a Sportster if you paid retail for the HD.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Well im looking for stars anyway so I'll put my pesos in as well.
My wife has been riding on her own for just over 2 years now and is looking for an upgrade from her 04 750 aero Honda . Its still a great (rice burner and she truly likes it but she is just about ready to move on to something else. Now she is a small person and the Honda is just about all the bike she wants wieght wise but she wants a bit more juice!Now all the arguments both ways make sense but there are alot of folks that are not 6 foot tall and 200 pounds , alot! So why does it not make sense to build a half decent Vic for those riders! Those riders and the ones wanting a decent north american unit!I would love to see her on some fleet footed 900 0r 1000 cc low with the handling and agility of the lighter lower bikes . Would that be all that bad , do you think? I have to say on a few of the vics change the fenders and you have a different bike . Thats not all that original . Perhaps its time to shake it up.
poptop
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
Thats still 4k more then a Sportster if you paid retail for the HD.
1200 Sportster... $10K...
2007 Kingpin, 4000 miles, under 9K
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-VICTORY-KINGPIN-96896046
Found that within 30 seconds....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
Thats still 4k more then a Sportster if you paid retail for the HD.
1200 Sportster... $10K...
2007 Kingpin, 4000 miles, under 9K
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-VICTORY-KINGPIN-96896046
Found that within 30 seconds....
Under 1000cc for a starter bike... Sportster $6999 msrp and who pays msrp?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

Not to be argumentative... just making conversation...
The way I see it, the 883 and the 1200 Sportster arethe same size bike... why not at least get the 1200?
Is a bike like a Vegas or Kingpin so much harder to handle than a 1200 Sportster? Seriously, the rider would get used to it in a week. The Vics have a lower CG and lower seat so why would they be harder to handle for the inexperienced?
Once you learn to ride, it doesn't matter if it's a 250cc Rebel or a Goldwing... if you can touch the ground flat footed you should be able to ride it perfectly well. Once the bike is upright it has no weight, and once the bike ismoving it has no weight.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
Thats still 4k more then a Sportster if you paid retail for the HD.
1200 Sportster... $10K...
2007 Kingpin, 4000 miles, under 9K
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-VICTORY-KINGPIN-96896046
Found that within 30 seconds....
Under 1000cc for a starter bike... Sportster $6999 msrp and who pays msrp?
883 Sportster, not a 1200, and yes I saw the under 1000cc part.
Still not worth $7000.00, go buy a good inline 4.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
spider said:
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
dsjr70 said:
Half_Crazy said:
mjw930 said:
And THAT is what it all boils down to.There are thousands of riders who WANT to buy American and buy new but don't have the disposable income to buy a big Harley or any Victory. Today their choice is a Sportster or a Japanese clone.
or a used big twin or a leftover 2009 NEW Vic for 11K....
If I could be on a Vegas/Kingpin for slightly more than a Sportster or a Japanese 1300? NO BRAINER! And the Victory seat is lower than either... and the Victory is lighter off the sidestand too.In today's economy people need to shop smarter and buy a bike they won't outgrow in8 months.
Thats still 4k more then a Sportster if you paid retail for the HD.
1200 Sportster... $10K...
2007 Kingpin, 4000 miles, under 9K
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-VICTORY-KINGPIN-96896046
Found that within 30 seconds....
Under 1000cc for a starter bike... Sportster $6999 msrp and who pays msrp?
883 Sportster, not a 1200, and yes I saw the under 1000cc part.
Still not worth $7000.00, go buy a good inline 4.
Oh, I absolutely agree with your Spider, just using the HD as an example since it was brought up.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
Not to be argumentative... just making conversation...
The way I see it, the 883 and the 1200 Sportster arethe same size bike... why not at least get the 1200?
Is a bike like a Vegas or Kingpin so much harder to handle than a 1200 Sportster? Seriously, the rider would get used to it in a week. The Vics have a lower CG and lower seat so why would they be harder to handle for the inexperienced?
Once you learn to ride, it doesn't matter if it's a 250cc Rebel or a Goldwing... if you can touch the ground flat footed you should be able to ride it perfectly well. Once the bike is upright it has no weight, and once the bike ismoving it has no weight.
Not disagreeing with you but we are seasoned riders. Heavy bikes are intimidating to most new riders at first. Also, if I would buying a 1st bike for my 16 year old son it wouldnt be a Victory for a few reasons, weight, power and price. For his first bike I would probably look in the 3-4000 range and unless you go with a really worn out Vic it aint going to happen. That would leave my choices to some of the smaller used metrics or a Sportster.
Unfortunetely if I had a son he would probably not want a cruiser and I would end up getting a Katana or a Ninja 250. Personally I would love to start him on a GZ250 or an S40 but at 16 he would consider them gay.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
Victory owners/riders don't want or need a 'starter bike'. Victory is a bike you upgrade to after you outgrow that starter bike. A machine people aspire to own. Leave the 900-1300 cc girly bikes to the Japanese big four.
You could always get a Sportster.... Not only will the big twin Harley riders look down at you, but the guys on Japanese cruisers can get a laugh at your expense as well. They should make Sportsters smell bad so that blind people can hate 'em too.
Being one of the fools who DID start on a Sporty (albeit a 1200C), I can attest to HC's comments. This is likely one of the reasons most dealerships won't allow test rides.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Unfortunetely if I had a son he would probably not want a cruiser and I would end up getting a Katana or a Ninja 250. Personally I would love to start him on a GZ250 or an S40 but at 16 he would consider them gay.
My son never rode a bike in his life. He got his license and immediately bought a CBR-929RR. He says it's easier to ride that his friends' 600s. The actual size and weight difference is minimal. I just hope he has enough sense to respect it.He's 22.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts
Dimonback said:
Being one of the fools who DID start on a Sporty (albeit a 1200C), I can attest to HC's comments. This is likely one of the reasons most dealerships won't allow test rides.
One of my best friends wanted a Harley when he got back into riding. He bought the 883 Custom. That lasted 2 months...Now he sees someone on a Sportster and says "poor guy". He still won't ride anything but a Harley, though.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

Ok, we are down to lower insurance costs and low price points....
Are we talking about a bike for the inexperienced rider or a bike for people who have little money?There's a huge difference between the best starter bikefor a beginner and the best budget bike.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
Dimonback said:
Being one of the fools who DID start on a Sporty (albeit a 1200C), I can attest to HC's comments. This is likely one of the reasons most dealerships won't allow test rides.
One of my best friends wanted a Harley when he got back into riding. He bought the 883 Custom. That lasted 2 months...Now he sees someone on a Sportster and says "poor guy". He still won't ride anything but a Harley, though.
Let's bear in mind the fact that I was dead set on an American motorcycle. I was impressed by the Kaw 900 Custom, the Honda Shadow and VTX, and the Yamaha Raider, but once I returned to the States I planned on driving Japanese cars... the very least I could do (yes, guilt) was to ensure that my two wheeler was all American. The Sporty was not comfotable, and the only HD I felt ergonomically comfortable on was the Wide Glide and Softail Custom. Once I saw pictures of the Kingpin, and test drove one, and checked the specs,I never gave another thought to owning a Harley. Not that I don't like some of them- they just don't fit me well enough to consider.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
poptop said:
Well im looking for stars anyway so I'll put my pesos in as well.
My wife has been riding on her own for just over 2 years now and is looking for an upgrade from her 04 750 aero Honda . Its still a great (rice burner and she truly likes it but she is just about ready to move on to something else. Now she is a small person and the Honda is just about all the bike she wants wieght wise but she wants a bit more juice!Now all the arguments both ways make sense but there are alot of folks that are not 6 foot tall and 200 pounds , alot! So why does it not make sense to build a half decent Vic for those riders! Those riders and the ones wanting a decent north american unit!I would love to see her on some fleet footed 900 0r 1000 cc low with the handling and agility of the lighter lower bikes . Would that be all that bad , do you think? I have to say on a few of the vics change the fenders and you have a different bike . Thats not all that original . Perhaps its time to shake it up.
poptop
Get your wife to just try the Vegas or Vegas Low depending on her height. I'm 5'2" and I can hardly stand the butterflies in my belly every time I look at my ride or am heading out. After a long ride today, my husband came back out looking for me in the garage, found me just sitting on my bike, and asked me what I was doing. "Nuthn, just look'n." The extra weight doesn't seem to matter because the Victory's seem so well balanced. Thirteen years ago I started out on a Honda 250, then a Savage 600, then an 800. Sold my 2000 Suzuki 800 Intruder today for $2300. Sad to see it go, but we still have the 1400, which is still a fun ride. From a female's perspective, hopping on my Vegas is like wearing a new dress that makes ya feel like a million. Sorry guys, this is just from a goils point of view - no slam intended toward guy Vegas owners. I think you all look really, really great. We just need more female Victory riders out there, cuz there are so few of us. And besides, my husband, friends, and relatives all drive HD's. I like marching to my own drumbeat - don't you!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23,468 Posts

Nett said:
I can hardly stand the butterflies in my belly every time I look at my ride or am heading out. After a long ride today, my husband came back out looking for me in the garage, found me just sitting on my bike, and asked me what I was doing. "Nuthn, just look'n."............... snip....... I like marching to my own drumbeat - don't you!
I hear ya! Well said (for a girl I mean, LOL). I swear I still giggle like a schoolgirl every time I get on this Kingpin. I know there are a lot of riders out there who don't "get it", but I can see that YOU DO! Just because you are female or smaller stature doesn't mean you have to ride a 'starter bike'. You should be able to enjoy a big twin like the rest of us do.
Thanks for the great post.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,865 Posts
The whole "starter bike" thing way over rated. Once you get the basics down - a few weeks - you're ready to go. Guy or girl - a little time in the saddle (a few weeks)& it's time for the full size open road experience. IMHO.
 
61 - 80 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top