VOG Forum banner

Slow cold start after cams and tune.

363 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  quazimoto
Good evening everyone,

My bike starts completely differently now while cold after cams + tune and I am wondering if this is normal or if I should take it back to be retuned.

Prior to cams and tune when cold starting the bike it would fire up hard, rpm build up was very fast, and go straight to 1100rpm. Once warm it comes down to 900.

Now when turning the bike turns on cold instead of what I call a "strong start" the rpm build up very slow only goes to 900. If I give it a little throttle it helps it get up to 1100 then when warm it goes back to 900.

Performance wise while riding there are no pops, throttle response is very quick, and the bike reacts very well. My only concern is the startup. Thank you for everyone's time. If needed I can record a video on next start up.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9,779 Posts
Mine fires right up, unless it has been sitting for two weeks or more. But start up after cams and tune and willingness to rev never an issue here. I would assume that you know not to rev these bikes hard until completely warm, and give it a bit of throttle on start up. Mine idles at 1000 rpm when at temperature. And, what's your tune? I went with Maximus. Full tune of A/F ratios all the way up and increased limit to 6300. Timing also set from idle up. She runs reeeeaaal good.

· Registered
3,658 Posts
How are you starting the bike? Should be up off the kickstand, throttle cracked open a little and thumb on the start button until fully running. Then hold at 1200-1400 rpm for 15-30 secs before putting back on the side stand and letting it warm up more while you get your gear on.

mine has started the same when stock, after just a tune, and even when I added cams & had a re tune.

maybe your battery is getting weak? Do you have it on a tender? When cams and tune were done did it sit for a while?

when was the last time you checked all of yourmain connections? (Battery, 40 amp breaker, grounds, etc)

· Registered
321 Posts
Often doing high performance work the result is poorer idle and a bit harder to start. In general this would be due to the compromises between power at mid and top vs low speeds. Sometimes the tune includes a bit higher idle to compensate for a rougher low rpm idle also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts