VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I purchased my first Victory bike a couple weeks back, so naturally, I am new to this VOG forum as well, so please go easy on me.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am new to Victory ownership... still can't believe it took me this long to discover what I think is the best V-Twin bike built. I have a 09 Victory Kingpin with the 100 ci engine coupled to the 6 speed tranny. When I first start off, I can't help but notice that the bike shutters at low RPM (1000 - 1400) and smooths right out after the RPM get beyond that. Is this a common characteristic of the 100? Is this a gear box issue? Perhaps a clutch issue?

Shuggs

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds to me like your lugging the engine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I typically keep the RPM's around 2000 RPM's to prevent this. That keeps everything smooth. I have the 106 but it should be the same thing for you. As recumbent bob said: You are lugging your engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Recumbentbob,

Thank-you for the reply. I was on the same train of thought as you, so on that note, I tried increasing the RPM in hopes of getting past the shutter point. I tried feathering the clutch engagement with the higher RPM (1500 +), I tried a quick clutch engagement at higher RPM's... shutter still there. The only way to really get by the shutter is to feather engage at at 1800 RPM (give or take), which is really odd for big a piston bike. So I decided to toss out the question to the VOG. (keeping in mind, that if it weren't for numerous Victory owners telling me that the "chunky-clunk" being normal as one engages the shifter, I would have thought something was wrong with the gear box too)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Blackened,

Recumbentbob strongly hinted that I am probably lugging it off the line as well. When I throw your reply into the mix, perhaps, I am doing nothing more than lugging it.

I'll give it a go and throttle up the RPM as I leave the line and see what happens. Thank-you for the reply, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the world of Victory.

Don't be afraid to ride these bikes more like a sport bike.
3000 rpm is normal cruise speed: in 5th gear is about 70 mph.
6th not needed until 75/80 mph.

In town just keep it in a lower gear around the 2800 mark or above.

happy riding!

Reactions: Shuggs

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'd PM Half Crazy and get his input; he's got great insight on the Kingpin.

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
Try a hard launch like your trying to race someone off the line. See if it shutters.
There could be a clutch issue from your description.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I'll throw my vote in too : Lugging

I'm not sure I've ever seen 1000 RPM on the tac other than idling. I don't like it to ever get below 2K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.