1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
The wee chieftain IS small! And unfortunately, they did nothing to fix that problem in the new one. Pretty stupid, considering they had the golden opportunity to do it right there! But then that would mean they would actually have to create a NEW bike. Apparently one new bike every 5 years is all they can manage, the new new one this time being the FTR1200.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping that a stretched out Indian is in the near future with the big motor that was designed for Victory a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I stopped in at the Indian dealer on Saturday. They had one of the new Chieftains parked out front. I parked next to it. Looked small compared to my Magnum. I think the only change they made to give it more room is the new seat. It feels like you might be slightly further back. Not by much tho.

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Next to each other in my garage.... the Chieftain looks small comparatively. View attachment 500585 View attachment 500587
Size does matter. That's reason why I'm in love with Victory. Granted with the hard lowers I feel a wee bit cramped but no where near as bad when I ride my buddy's road glide.

Once you go Victory you don't go back.

I really hope Polaris understands how much influence the extra room the Vision and Cross bikes had for us big boys. I'd most likely buy an Indian if it was a re-badged Cross/Vision.

·
6,677 Posts
I know I get on Polaris for making their bikes small. I need to remember that I am probably the one who is just too big and that the bike fits most riders. But there are plenty of us out there that aren't small that sure could use that extra room. Maybe one day they will get a clue and make a bigger frame.

Which is another interesting thing to me - I have no experience with Harley's, and I have heard that the ergos on those bikes aren't great either. So how do these big dudes ride them? I don't get it! Are there alternate seats, controls and the like to shoehorn these riders into the bike?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Willie G couldn't pay me to ride their trash. I hope they figure out that the frame and size of the XC and Vision was genius. You don't need to fix perfection and you can't fix stupid. I have to agree, I don't feel like I am missing out with Indian yet at all. All of the Victory positives easily Trump everything I see at Indian. Demo Truck is coming soon. I could go ride all the Indians but am 100 percent done and satisfried.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I know I get on Polaris for making their bikes small. I need to remember that I am probably the one who is just too big and that the bike fits most riders. But there are plenty of us out there that aren't small that sure could use that extra room. Maybe one day they will get a clue and make a bigger frame.

Which is another interesting thing to me - I have no experience with Harley's, and I have heard that the ergos on those bikes aren't great either. So how do these big dudes ride them? I don't get it! Are there alternate seats, controls and the like to shoehorn these riders into the bike?
I had to add 3" foot control extensions to my Wide Glide to be halfway comfortable and I'm only 6'1".

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm grateful each time I ride my Vision because I am tall and my Wife is tall too, so we have plenty of room to stretch out.
Although my Buell Ulysses is a very compact motorbike, it is quite comfortable for me and many other Buellers who aren't so long legged.

With that said, I think it is very possible to design a bike that fits a wider range of customer sizes, which H-D and Indian seem unwilling to do.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

So how tall are you and what do you weigh ? I'm 6'3" 230#. The Cross bikes fit me to an absolute T ! The vision is great for leg room but the bars have a touch too much pull back for me.

·
6,677 Posts
So how tall are you and what do you weigh ? I'm 6'3" 230#. The Cross bikes fit me to an absolute T ! The vision is great for leg room but the bars have a touch too much pull back for me.
I mean, I am not HUGE or anything! I'm 6"4" , 270 lbs with a 35" inseam. I guess having the long legs is what disqualifies me from riding a lot of bikes comfortably. For me, everything about the Vision is perfect. The seat is perfect, the controls are in the right place, the bars are nearly perfect - it's as close to the perfect fit for as you can get. As someone else said, once you ride a Vic, you can't go back!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I mean, I am not HUGE or anything! I'm 6"4" , 270 lbs with a 35" inseam. I guess having the long legs is what disqualifies me from riding a lot of bikes comfortably. For me, everything about the Vision is perfect. The seat is perfect, the controls are in the right place, the bars are nearly perfect - it's as close to the perfect fit for as you can get. As someone else said, once you ride a Vic, you can't go back!
35" i.s. here too, and I totally get why Indians and Harleys are undersized for guys our size. I have a Kingpin and that too is a great bike for a taller person. however if I could sell it I'd find a XC or Vision for the perfect riding position.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I think of all the things I've heard people say they want to change about whatever bike they're riding, Bars too far back has to be at the bottom of the list. I think that speaks well of the original build of the Vics.

And, I hear and understand what you "big and tall guys are saying", but I am 5 - 9 (on a tall day) and I love the way I fit my CCT. There is plenty of room for comfort, but I have never felt like it was too much. Anything else I ride "feels" small to me and I am wanting more room. It's just almost mystical and really wonderful how they were able to make this bike fit so many, so well. Just nailed the design.

Reactions: jayleav

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Hard to believe some have sold there’s because they were afraid of the lack of service. I can understand I guess. I’m in a good service area for VIc. Since 2011 I haven’t seen a new bike that could take its place. I fit all bikes being relatively small.
5’8” 188lbs. The 19 Chieftain would be the next bagger if there had to be another but for now my Vic’s are taking up all the room.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hard to believe some have sold there's because they were afraid of the lack of service. I can understand I guess. I'm in a good service area for VIc. Since 2011 I haven't seen a new bike that could take its place. I fit all bikes being relatively small.
5'8" 188lbs. The 19 Chieftain would be the next bagger if there had to be another but for now my Vic's are taking up all the room.
I'm sticking with Victory. If I could sell my KP I'd buy a nice low mile XC or Vision. I'm confident that I can keep it Road ready for a long time to come. Bairs power sports is a short drive away from me and the internet is and will be a great tool for parts. And there's still nothing I want more than a Victory.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
The cross bikes and Visions are still out there ! Great prices. Be great if you can keep the pin and still get one.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The cross bikes and Visions are still out there ! Great prices. Be great if you can keep the pin and still get one.
Don't have the room for two bikes and I don't ride enough to justify it. 95% of my rides now are multi day trips. Bike typically sits for a few weeks at a time taking up space until I can take a few days and explore. Then I need storage for when I'm on the road. I know I can do that on my pin but I prefer not having to bungee stuff down and try and make room. A XC will have all the room I need in those two giant hard bags.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.