VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this post is redundant but I wanted to post a simple air box mod being done on the Cross bikes on the VMC and one user dyno before and after. He got 3 hp and 9 ft. lbs of torque increase. The mod is simple. Remove side covers, seat and rear tank bolts. Slide tank back approx 3". In front of the tank you will see a U shaped rubber strip (looks like car door weatherstripping). Remove it and reinstall tank etc.

When I first saw this mod, I thought what a bunch of hooey. Until I did it on mine. (I do not have stage 1 or a power commander.) I have the stock air filter, a custom map and RPW exhaust. I was blown away. Lets just say my RPW's are happy to breathe! Snappier throttle, more torque, exhaust is louder. I went on a 500 mile trip today and I was like little kid at Christmas.

This was the best 5 mins. I have spent customizing this bike!

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm in the process of wiring my bike for our heated vests (long story but didn't get it done today) and whilst I had the tank loose I pulled the rubber strip after reading about the results of the mod. Haven't had the bike out yet but anything that helps it breathe has got to help.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I just did it the other night myself in about 5 minutes, best bang for no buck mod you'll ever do! I have the factory stage 1 set-up and you can really feel and hear the difference. The bike has noticeably more torque from the very bottom all the way thru the powerband. This baby pulls like a train now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am most curious about this otherwise simple little mod, but before I go ripping stock pieces off of my $15,000 motorcycle the question that begs answering is.... what is the purpose of this particular part, and what potential effects will it's absence cause? I can't imagine the manufacturer just put it there for the hell of it, without if having a specific purpose. Much thanks!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

smk5867 said:
I am most curious about this otherwise simple little mod, but before I go ripping stock pieces off of my $15,000 motorcycle the question that begs answering is.... what is the purpose of this particular part, and what potential effects will it's absence cause? I can't imagine the manufacturer just put it there for the hell of it, without if having a specific purpose. Much thanks!!
From what I understand by reading up on this it served 2 purposes. One was to keep rain/moisture from going straight into the filter if you were driving in alot of rain. The other was to dampen the air flow noise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So then it is possible to add a high flow filter and it would be almost the same thing except you would still have protection from the rain. I get caught in the rain a lot so protection would be important.

thing out loud

dd

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
dirtdobber said:
So then it is possible to add a high flow filter and it would be almost the same thing except you would still have protection from the rain. I get caught in the rain a lot so protection would be important.

thing out loud

dd
Nope, I have the stage 1 with hi flow filter and got a BIG BOOST from this mod. The stock configuration is blocking off a good 50% of the airflow and making it draw air from behind the filter and tank. The air flows much more naturally from the front and doesn't have to make a 180 while you drive down the highway to get into the filter once you remove the strip. The strip is there to quiet the beast down and possibly for somewater protection. Have you seen all the Harleys and Vics running with big open filters sticking out the front of the bike? I seriously doubt we will have a problem with water unless you drive the bike into a lake.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The link that bored76 helped me understand a lot more. I have been wrenching for a lot of years but the cc is my first Victory so I have to learn more. I do catch on quickly though.
I am waiting on a service manual for my cc. So I can do some studying and know where what is.
I haven't found a steering lock yet. They do not help mush but it may slow someone down enough for my pit to get at them. I am the pit. LOL

dd

·
Registered
151 Posts
dirtdobber said:
The link that bored76 helped me understand a lot more. I have been wrenching for a lot of years but the cc is my first Victory so I have to learn more. I do catch on quickly though.
I am waiting on a service manual for my cc. So I can do some studying and know where what is.
I haven't found a steering lock yet. They do not help much but it may slow someone down enough for my pit to get at them. I am the pit. LOL

dd

·
Registered
332 Posts
bikendad said:
I just did it the other night myself in about 5 minutes, best bang for no buck mod you'll ever do! I have the factory stage 1 set-up and you can really feel and hear the difference. The bike has noticeably more torque from the very bottom all the way thru the powerband. This baby pulls like a train now!
+1

I followed YOUR instructions.

Remove bolts. Slide tank back. Yank!
Slide tank forward. Bolt up.

Thanks for the simpleness of this mod.

BTW, a lake ride would be a problem. Regular rain shouldn't be.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Salty said:
Any increase in popping while shifting or on decel after removing this rubber strip?
I have the stage 1 from Vic on my 2011.
Thx
I rode it for 2 hours, didn't pop once and ran like a champ! I have the 2010 with stage 1.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
CVI-Cowboy said:
Will this work for the Vision too or just the X-bikes?
No, this is Cross bike specific. Vision intakes have been sorted out for years, do a search and you will find parts from S&S and Lloyd that are Vision specific.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
bored76 said:
smk5867 said:
From what I understand by reading up on this it served 2 purposes. One was to keep rain/moisture from going straight into the filter if you were driving in alot of rain. The other was to dampen the air flow noise.
The ONLY reason for the strip acording to one of the lead X bike engineers; is that the bike was not noise compliant without it

·
Registered
233 Posts
kevinx01 said:
bored76 said:
smk5867 said:
The ONLY reason for the strip acording to one of the lead X bike engineers; is that the bike was not noise compliant without it
Thats the info Ive been waiting to hear. So I wonder if Ill have any problems if I remove the strip and I dont have the stage one pipes, air filter or re-map??

·
Registered
207 Posts
twstdcain said:
Thats the info Ive been waiting to hear. So I wonder if Ill have any problems if I remove the strip and I dont have the stage one pipes, air filter or re-map??
I don't have stage one pipes, aftermarket air filter or re-map and it works fine. It might be a case of wishful thinking but the bike responds faster to throttle. Noise is a non-issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I removed that weatherstrip today. It was way too simple. I don't see a down side to this. The weather strip is no doubt just that, a weather strip to ensure water doesn't get to the airbox. On the CC the fairing should provide ample protection. This may be more risky on the CrossRoads. If you get caught in a monsoon that would affect this mod you are pretty screwed anyway. If you know you must ride in heavy rain just stick a rag between front of tank and frame. The bike did feel more powerful and maybe some increase sound. I do have the Stage One upgrade also. Bottom line is if not comfortable with this mod then that strip can go back as fast as it came off.
The

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.