VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my rear tire changed ('06 Kingpin)at my dealer, in lieu of a 2000 mile ride to Denver and then to Sturgis.I leftMinneapolis andstopped for lunch inLincoln NE. I noticed after lunch that my Tomahawk(axel nut)side mount licence plate was twisted and had sagged down. The bracket had twisted with such force that ithad cut a 1/4" gashwhere my swingarm ismachined grooveand thespacer and axel nut sitIt appeared that someone had stepped on it asto mount my bike. I twisted it back in shape and continued my ride through Nebraska. At every gas stop it rotated(clockwise)and twisted again. In Ogalala NE I called my mechanic and he told me to tighten the axel nut. Having only a Vise gripI did so. Finally(13 Hours, 850 Miles) I reached Denver and the next day scheduled my bike for service. The mechanic reinstalled the missing washer between the nut and mount and spliced new wire for the license light. Thinking maybe I had the problem solved, it hasn't stoppedthe clockwise rotation. Although it has improvedit still wants torotate. Has anyone else experienceda similar problem with a side mount plate holder. I'm thinking the gouge the bracket cut into my swingarm won't hold the bracket properly. I don't know. Someone please help me.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

Have not had any problems with mine.....but I have an MBW one. I'll keep an eye on mine.
If someone did step on it to mount....I can see that removing the raised groove and is no longer supporting the bracket. During riding, the vibration may be letting it slide downward past that point. You might need to get anew raised groovewelded onto the swingarm ....they are cast aluminum....just a thought....keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately myswing arm is chromed with a machined groove. I rode 400 miles yesterday and it didn't move a bit. I'm thinking my dealer mechanicdidn't torque my axel bolt to 60psi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a heads-up for any of you living out-of-state that might be considering a trip to Florida for Biketoberfest or any other event. The Florida legislature recently passed a law that requires that motorcycle license plates be mounted horizontally. The same law also addresses keeping both wheels on the ground (no wheelies or stoppies) and speeds in excess of 50 mph above the posted limit. Large fines (in the $1K range) for violations in all cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.