VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a PCV last night and was out riding with the wife, coming up to a light slowing down and the bike just shut off. Done this one other time to me but it was because it was low on fuel. Just wondering if someone else has had this issue after installing a PCV or maybe its something else with my bike. Thanks

·
Registered
18,229 Posts
Ah, not totally up to speed, but you are still operating through the Bike's ECM with the PCV and it happened before, especially with low fuel, you may need a reset. Easy to do and in the OP Manual under priming fuel pump and worth a try:

Priming the Fuel System

If the motorcycle runs out of fuel, prime the fuel system before attempting to restart the engine.
  1. Fill the fuel tank.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  3. Move the engine stop/run switch from the STOP position to the RUN position.
  4. Allow the fuel pump to run until it stops (about 3 seconds).
  5. Move the engine stop/run switch to the STOP position.
  6. Wait 10 seconds to allow the engine control module to reset.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 four to five times.

Had similiar issue, but no PCV and this fixed it and a couple other guys as well... It is free and I blip all the time and engine brake and always have.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Really doubt it's the PCV itself, but if the wiring isn't tight or the tune could need improving as it has to overcome the factory ecu's tendency to kill the engine when bliping the throttle while downshifting.
Also check your battery connectors and make sure they are wrench tight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hooked the ground to the same spot where the ground is on the tank, so i don't think it is that. Found a couple threads about the battery connections and the 40 amp, gonna check the battery connections and swap out the amp to see if that helps. Fuel gage still doesn't work? Is there a way to reset the computer so the fuel gage will work again or ??? any ideas for the fuel gage? I had the PCV pre-mapped for the company I ordered it from, i know I still need to have it dyno.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Hooked the ground to the same spot where the ground is on the tank, so i don't think it is that. Found a couple threads about the battery connections and the 40 amp, gonna check the battery connections and swap out the amp to see if that helps. Fuel gage still doesn't work? Is there a way to reset the computer so the fuel gage will work again or ??? any ideas for the fuel gage? I had the PCV pre-mapped for the company I ordered it from, i know I still need to have it dyno.
Move the ground to where the instructions show you on the engine

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If your fuel guage quit working at the same time as the PC-V install, you need a better ground than the one on fuel tank. It you look at it, it's intermittant at best, run a strap or wire from that point to a motor ground.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill move the ground, and Im going to go ahead and change the 40 amp breaker and check the battery terminals while i have the front end off. The fuel gage wasn't working before due to the timing wheel and high flow air filter I put on it. Hoping unhooking the battery will reset the computer and hopefully fixes the problem. Im going to have to make the ground wire longer to reach a different spot....thanks for the input guys ill let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where did you get the map for the PCV
Came pre mapped from fuelmoto.com its where i ordered it from and told them what I've don't to the bike and they premap it to what you've done to the bike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tonight went ahead and swapped out the 40amp breaker and put it all back together...the battery terminals were super loose barely touched them and they came loose, so hoping that was part of my problem, the fuel gage started to work then didn't work so its off and on, still trying to trouble shoot that problem but hopfully the 40amp breaker and tighten the battery terminals will fix the issue with the bike shutting down.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Had some weird things today. My battery died a few weeks ago, I think my gps tracker was draining the battery while I was out of town. Anyway, fired it up this afternoon, let it warm up for about 7 minutes while I was doing some other things. Hopped on it, out of the parking lot, pulled the clutch in, idled and died. Started up, died. Rode 25 miles or so, died every time the RPMs got down to about 1100. When it did idle, it was rough. New plugs, oil, 3/4 tank of gas. Got home, reset the pump (key on/off 3 times) because I couldn't think of anything else at the time, started up and idled fine. Will see how it goes tomorrow. Figured it might be moisture in the gas maybe since the battery is new with star washers and I know it's tight. Also noticed the volt gauge sitting nicely at 14.2-14.5 so I don't think it is the R/R. Although when it died, it quickly dropped to 12-12.1. I've got a spare breaker but it made me think I should get a new R/R just to keep on hand along with a belt, clutch cable and spare drain plug which I have already.

Did you get it figured out finally?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had some weird things today. My battery died a few weeks ago, I think my gps tracker was draining the battery while I was out of town. Anyway, fired it up this afternoon, let it warm up for about 7 minutes while I was doing some other things. Hopped on it, out of the parking lot, pulled the clutch in, idled and died. Started up, died. Rode 25 miles or so, died every time the RPMs got down to about 1100. When it did idle, it was rough. New plugs, oil, 3/4 tank of gas. Got home, reset the pump (key on/off 3 times) because I couldn't think of anything else at the time, started up and idled fine. Will see how it goes tomorrow. Figured it might be moisture in the gas maybe since the battery is new with star washers and I know it's tight. Also noticed the volt gauge sitting nicely at 14.2-14.5 so I don't think it is the R/R. Although when it died, it quickly dropped to 12-12.1. I've got a spare breaker but it made me think I should get a new R/R just to keep on hand along with a belt, clutch cable and spare drain plug which I have already.

Did you get it figured out finally?
Yea I think I finally got it figured out with the new breaker and tighten the battery terminals.... you may need to check your 40 amp breaker heres how to do it
see if its bad, i got the one from NAPA don't remember the part number but i can get it for you if need be. I also make sure all my stuff is turned off before i leave the bike too.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I keep a breaker in the saddlebag along with plugs and wires and a half bottle of fuel treatment.

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
Hi, just got my VicCCT :) how is CoolStream Bluetooth Adapter working for you?
They work well.

There is a Coolstream Duo and a Coolstream Duo Pro. The Pro is more money but will allow you to use your bar controls with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.