VOG Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should we stay or should we go?

22K views 347 replies 43 participants last post by  broggyr 
#1 ·
So who has noticed that both the Cop Corner and the Political Thread were locked?

I think I give this place far more than I get and maybe it is time to step away and let it die.

#5 ·
personally, I hope you stick around - I step away from time to time (just get busy, etc.), but I've always enjoyed your input, humor, and otherwise!

• Winner
Reactions: 5 people
#7 ·
I just find it funny that they lock two threads that bring this place a ton of traffic.

It seems my humor is what got my Cop Corner locked. One little joke about a criminal being shot....for being a criminal......and lock the door and turn off the lights. We wouldn't want to insult any criminals or their sympathizers.

#11 ·
No, no, no!!! We need more cops, not less! Please don’t quit, it’s only an Internet forum. It shouldn’t matter much because it’s mostly meaningless except for the ‘How Do I’ or the ‘Introduction’ type threads. Yes, ok, even the oil and oil filter threads.

Personally I’ve lost a lot of respect for some of the members here. The ones who know Victory but otherwise spew nothing but hate on the locked threads.

Block the intentional idiots, you’ll enjoy the forum a lot more.

Rule number 1:
1. You can’t help the unwilling, you’ll frustrate yourself and they wll
resent you.

PS - You can’t talk reason with a person who arrived at their position without any.

#14 ·
No, no, no!!! We need more cops, not less! Please don't quit, it's only an Internet forum. It shouldn't matter much because it's mostly meaningless except for the 'How Do I' or the 'Introduction' type threads. Yes, ok, even the oil and oil filter threads.

Personally I've lost a lot of respect for some of the members here. The ones who know Victory but otherwise spew nothing but hate on the locked threads.

Block the intentional idiots, you'll enjoy the forum a lot more.

Rule number 1:
1. You can't help the unwilling, you'll frustrate yourself and they wll
resent you.
I have many on ignore. It is nice having that feature.

I don't mind helping those that pop it and have a question not to be seen until the next one but what I really enjoy is the good conversations I have been able to have here with from guys all around the world. If that is being taken from me I don't feel I have much holding me here. If I can't talk to people I like about things I like...that are not motorcycles.....I just don't really see the point.

#24 ·
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

THEY LOCKED THE KOBE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:​

#29 ·
I've been visiting the VOG less and less and staying shorter periods of time. Used to be I'd be on a couple of times a day and read just about everything and now it's only if the title looks like a technical problem. Most days it's a quick scan of the titles, look at any funny stuff and sign out.

Too many of the unrelated threads are veering into political posturing and the content is going into the toilet. Far too many arguments degenerate into 12 year old name-calling by people who have nothing intelligent to add and what some quote as facts is absolute BS. (on both sides) They need to read more and quit following their favourite celebrity on twitter or one channel on the tv. Some just can't leave it alone and it wears you out trying bypass that $hit when you're just looking for motorcycle stuff. All the crap needs to stay in the threads where it belongs so the rest of us don't have to put up with it but some just don't have the intelligence to do that.

Rather that fly off the handle anonymously lots of people here should join their favourite political party and raise some $hit over there. No finger pointing needed because they are all to blame for parts in this. Make the noise needed there and especially with their sponsors to get them to fix it.

I quit this site a few years ago when the vitriol got to similar levels as it is now and people were getting thrown off. Came back and it was good for a long time but not now.

I liked the cop stuff up until the present problems began and the thread started going down hill and went right to the bottom. It's certainly not what you started it out as nor can I think you can be proud of what some have turned into. Maybe the mods are right to put a halt to the widespread stupidity and let everyone take a break but just for a little while.

Some of us liked your original direction and hope it will come back. Don't go far.

#34 ·
the thread started going down hill and went right to the bottom. It's certainly not what you started it out as nor can I think you can be proud of what it has turned into.
At the core it was still being used for its intended purpose. I actually found that it was locked because I went to post another police related article. But I do understand what you are saying and though I have enjoyed many great conversations I have certainly had some go south....but I don't see that as any reason to lock the thread.

If those that don't like me and what I post would just steer clear of me like I try them all would be well. I have several people on ignore, works great. If they would just do the same. The issue is they look for and seem to like being internet tough guys.

#37 ·
I would not mind seeing an explanation from the admin. At least then we would know for sure. I have a pretty good idea as to why! Things in those 2 threads were getting a little intense. They could have put a shot across the bow though and not locked them.

That said, I guess there is nothing stopping someone from creating an all new Politics thread etc. And if those get locked, then we know. No more.

Reactions: mister-g and Guest
#41 ·
I would not mind seeing an explanation from the admin. At least then we would know for sure. I have a pretty good idea as to why! Things in those 2 threads were getting a little intense. They could have put a shot across the bow though and not locked them.

That said, I guess there is nothing stopping someone to create an all new Politics thread! And if that one gets locked, then we know. No more.
Yep or maybe actually do something to those that are constantly name calling and trying to bully folks that do not agree. I tried to take the high road and on a few occasions sent a message to admin asking if certain things were allowed or not as I saw no involvement from them. Not once did I get a response so I tried to handle things myself increasing my responses. That didn't work so I simply started ignoring everyone I thought was a waste of time but some just will not let things go and stalk people.

So the admin let things go and go until we get to this point and then come in heavy handed locking threads. Nice. Yet another example of how little they care about The VOG.

#47 ·
HMMM....is it me or after reading all these posts no MODERATOR has made a comment/explanation. Seems to me they should OR maybe because they think we're all RACISTS:crackup:
NOTE: Thread started what time and how many contributions... MORE then NAKED ones:cool018:

#49 ·
MAYBE if WE ALL hit "REPORT"...MIGHT get answers. I would think name of thread would wake someone IMPORTANT UP:hat1:

#50 ·
Or not... if they don't care...

#57 ·
I won't try to talk you out of it, I also spend a little less time on here, maybe 8 or 9 hours a day now. And I never read any of your posts, except the ones you post outside of the politics and religion threads, because I don't go in there.
I hate that the US has become what it has. I hate that our government is broken. I hate that social media creates more problems than me drunk texting. I really really hate that people are so quick to argue and point fingers and assign blame to everyone else instead of intelligently debating a point and trying to solve issues rather than adding to the problems of the world. That being said, how could you think about leaving when there's this to look forward to almost every day. (not a link to photos of me in daisy dukes) ((or maybe it is))

#59 ·
I won't try to talk you out of it, I also spend a little less time on here, maybe 8 or 9 hours a day now. And I never read any of your posts, except the ones you post outside of the politics and religion threads, because I don't go in there.
I hate that the US has become what it has. I hate that our government is broken. I hate that social media creates more problems than me drunk texting. I really really hate that people are so quick to argue and point fingers and assign blame to everyone else instead of intelligently debating a point and trying to solve issues rather than adding to the problems of the world. That being said, how could you think about leaving when there's this to look forward to almost every day. (not a link to photos of me in daisy dukes) ((or maybe it is))
I don't really want to leave, only because of the many great members here. I've made some good friends.

As for "that" thread I have been a heavy contributor there among other places. I have the most positive rating of all members and a high post count. What happens when I and a few other steady contributors go?

Can the few that ruin this place keep the lights on? I doubt it.

#58 ·
I always thought it was obvious why threads get locked down. Most established sites get money letting advertisers post links to their products. The price of that ad is dictated by how many "hits" a site gets" and then how many people follow their link.

These advertisers have more power that any site owner will admit. It they feel there is "hostile" conversation they contact the site owners and threaten to pull their advertising. This is the same tactic used on television. What you have to determine if this is done as a honest thing or that it's politically motivated. Just look at today's cancel culture and you can determine which side is controlling this site. the best thing we can do to fight back is what is happening with the NFL and MLB. People are leaving in droves. These leagues are in big trouble with no fans in the seat (ticket sales) and television viewership is down decreasing the cost advertisers must pay. Low viewership means lower prices for advertisers. This goes to lower professional salaries.

#61 ·
I always thought it was obvious why threads get locked down. Most established sites get money letting advertisers post links to their products. The price of that ad is dictated by how many "hits" a site gets" and then how many people follow their link.

These advertisers have more power that any site owner will admit. It they feel there is "hostile" conversation they contact the site owners and threaten to pull their advertising. This is the same tactic used on television. What you have to determine if this is done as a honest thing or that it's politically motivated. Just look at today's cancel culture and you can determine which side is controlling this site. the best thing we can do to fight back is what is happening with the NFL and MLB. People are leaving in droves. These leagues are in big trouble with no fans in the seat (ticket sales) and television viewership is down decreasing the cost advertisers must pay. Low viewership means lower prices for advertisers. This goes to lower professional salaries.
The wife is pissed. She's a big baseball fan and has been grasping at anything to continue to be one. BUT...... The Astros and A's walked off the field in protest for the criminal shot. She said just the other day she was close to being completely done with them. They may have actually made that happen.

#67 ·
I think it went higher than the mods. Definitely admin/owner level.

It's too bad because I liked our back and forth bickering. It got it out of our systems in a harmless place. I can't say everyone felt the same way. Some were probably butthurt with no access to salve but that's life. I'll miss it but it might be a good move because things might get worse before they get better.

We are on the cusp of a real live shooting civil war. The shooting has already started; now it's only a matter of when the good guys will step up to squash the bad guys doing all the mayhem.

#70 ·
We drive hits on the site by jumping on and posting. Owners use that activity to generate add revenue. I say we all agree to a 30 day moratorium on the site and see what happens? If this is the last post you ever see from me you'll know if censorship on the site really exists?

#71 ·
While I never bothered going to those threads I think it's BS to just lock them all with no explanation.

#72 ·
The admins did the same thing over on the Victory Forum if you remember. They made a separate section for Politics and Religion and shut down the single running politics thread. I guess they thought that would slow the political talk. Instead more threads were made so instead of just one running thread there was several running at the same time.

Smarter heads prevailed and they opened the one running political thread back up. Lesson learned.

They should do that here by putting certain sections in an option to see them or not. A lot of people don't want to see them at all. If so they can turn them off when clicking on Active Threads or New Posts but could still see them if they went into the list of forums.

I suspect new political and maybe cop subject threads will pop up because people still want to talk about things. The admins will have to make a choice about what to do then like they did on the VF. Banning people to keep them from using a forum to talk about things, even if off topic, is a bad way to run a forum designed to talk about things. They could even prevent anything from that section from being looked at during a search unless specifically in that section doing the search.

Like I said; make a section then make it an option to even see it in the feed. That solves all the problems except the whiners and they will never be satisfied. Notice we haven't seen any of them on here complaining about these threads being shut down (except for Saxtron). That's because it was them that got them shut down in the first place.

The people who frequented those threads knows exactly who I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.