Should Indian shut their doors again ? | Page 6 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Should Indian shut their doors again ?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ReigningScorpios, Jul 8, 2021.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    My loyalty has always been to my self. My hard earned $$$ so my choice. The stab in the back decision that Polaris made never ruined what they created and built. Fine motorcycles. Another great American choice. History in the making when we had 3 top tier American motorcycles to choose from. Hard to believe they couldn’t see it long term and make it work today. The challenger could have came in as the beginning of a new Victory model lineup with the Octane still sitting next to a Scout on the floor. Imagine the victory bikes we all know and love with a challenger motor in it. With a modern infotainment system on it. Keep our tanks and modern styling making small changes along the way. Victory is still the most modern looking American motorcycle on the street. So instead Polaris buys Indian and copies Harley after they run out of original Indian styling ideas. Look at how well that was received. Well another rant by me so my apologies.

Yes the Springfield could of still found it’s way into my garage but today I just don’t have the desire to purchase anything new. I’m having enough of a time keeping what I got pristine and enjoyable. That’s enough for me. The best part is knowing the Springfield was built and it exists and is available. Why that appeals to me ? Because ya never know ….. I may have a change of heart someday.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    I really wish we could see numbers.

Like how many Victory's were truly sold over the run.

How many Indians have sold in the last 8 years.

How many Victory owners crossed over to Indian

How many Victory went elsewhere.

Not likely we'll ever see any details on any of those questions. However I am still in possession of the FU letter, I mean the we're sorry if you want to switch to Indian we'll give you $1000.

i went bikeless for a while, but ultimately went back to Harley. Not impressed nor displeased with that choice. Just kind of meh.

Rented a Roadmaster for a few days. Liked the bike but if offers me nothing over what I'm currently riding.

So that bitter taste in my mouth has slightly gone away, but they'd need to really hit a home run with a bike or a price to make me seriously consider one.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Thankfully I'm still 100% content with my CCT with 85K miles on it. Sure, I look at new bikes from time to time but reality quickly sets in. It would take $25K to $35K to replace a CCT with a similar new bike. One that does absolutely nothing proportionally better than my CCT does. The new Indians and H-D's have an 'infotainment' system. Ok, fine, I'm sure it's very nice. But also not worth anywhere near the price difference between them and what an 85K mile CCT is worth on Trade In. So, yes, I likely have the last touring bike I'll ever get. If my CCT were to get damaged, I'd be many $1,000's ahead by just getting another CCT and still enjoy the familiarity, the performance and the uniqueness of the Victory CCT.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    This is why a new bike will not find its way into many of our lives. If we had to replace ours then we could. I see great low mile deals daily on Victory X bikes. Visions I’m noticing are harder to come by. Lately I’ve seen a good rush on people buying them up quickly when they show up on market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    I have to admit I don't ride as much as I used too and the Garage is full of cages too. I believed that Victory was going to be folded into Indian once the Showrooms started showing up. A re-badge was possible and I didn't care as long as the Bike was recognized for what it was with continued march forward and we all knew about the Scout and Challenger engines being developed under Victory patents.

Just can't and never will grasp the red-headed stepchild approach to 120,000 riders... Guess that is the times we live in as loyalty just doesn't mean squat other than the Harley Boys image.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    To me I thought it was cool you could buy a victory from any old motorcycle shop. Or a tractor shop or a ATV shop. The bikes were being put out there like a test. Then there was Arlen Ness and Eddie Trotta that became dealers. Powersports shops brought them in. Rick Fairless Strokers Dallas. It was a development time but the missing link was the HD style boutique shop. Indian got it and that right there told the world we are now building quality bikes that people want to own and ride. Funny …… Victory owners are the riders.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    I like some of there bikes and I'm in the market for a new one. My local Indian/Polaris dealer is booking out 7 weeks to get in for any kind of service. Sorry that is unacceptable, I will not purchase a bike if the company can not service it. After warranty is up I usually go to local bike mechanic but If I'm on the road touring you expect to go to an Indian dealer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wayne guess

wayne guess New Member

victory,victory,victory,triumph ,hd
    hmmmm.

9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Yeah I remember just leaving the HD shop, not really impressed. Saw a Victory sign and waded between the boats and ATVs to find a thirty by thirty area with one of each model for that year. Fell for white Boardwalk with the salesman saying, take her for ride. I quickly told him I haven’t ridden in ten years. He paused and handed me the key saying, you look you can ride and I did. Sealed the deal the next day and had it shipped Home from Alabama...

I wasn’t there when it arrived and the Bride wasn’t thrilled as they rolled into the garage, saying that thing is huge. Her prior husband had a Sportster back in the day... My last was a 83 naked Wing I sold in 2004, a steady ride she was and HDs before that...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    I was thinking of a cast frame Chief Dark Horse, but said stuff it, and bought a High Ball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Just curious. When you say new one you mean Indian ? Which model are you interested in. I’m surprised to hear that service on a Polaris Indian is so backed up ? Is this because of the multi branded dealers having other brands to repair ? With The reliability of an Indian that would not stop me from purchasing and riding. My bike has seen the inside of a shop twice in 10 yrs for an issue that grounded me. The rest was tires and when scheduled was an in and out day. Go get your steed and post some pics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Some truth in the Indian/Victory mechanics are not burning a lot time in repairs. I noticed mods, but not repairs...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Well-Known Member

Victory

I'd like to see the FU letter. Always hear about it

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    I'll take a picture tonight when i get home

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    Yes it is because it is muti branded dealer. They sell all polaris products + a coupe others. I still have my 2012 XC and love the bike but I'm a little nervous on long distance trips now for the same reasons although it has been very reliable over the years. I was looking at a roadmaster. New goldwing or BMW K1600 are my other options. HD doesn't currently have any touring bikes that I really like.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1