Should Indian shut their doors again ? | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Should Indian shut their doors again ?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ReigningScorpios, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    You're correct of course.

But it's the difference between a 'motorcycle company' and a 'company that makes motorcycles'. When Polaris was building the Victory brand, they were doing all they could to build a better American motorcycle. Yes, I know, they didn't do everything right. But, ever since Polaris released their first Indian, they seem to have been in coast mode relying on the 'history' of the brand, not the bikes themselves.

No one can name 3 Polaris Indian design attributes that are unique. Sure, they've taken existing technology and integrated it into the bikes. So what, so have most brands. Nothing 'new' here.

What has Polaris uniquely developed themselves to build Indian? What's been the Polaris stamp on the Indian heritage? When their two best selling bikes are basically rebadged Victory's, I'd say: Polaris ran out of unique motorcycle ideas when they developed the Cross bikes for the 2010 model year. Just about everything since has been a re-hash of the work done by others.

I want them to do better. To somehow get back to what they were over a decade ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    Well nostalgia does tug at my wallet sometimes, I wouldn't mind a Chief Dark Horse (cast frame) sharing the shed, but no one is gonna buy me one and I blew the available money getting the High Ball a couple of months ago to keep the HardBall company.
    I also like the new Electralide revival, but no ones gonna buy me one of those either. Bastards!
    I think Harley's rolled out a winner though with this morning's announcement of the Sportster S.
    121 hp, lotta torque, remains to be seen if they are full size rear wheel neddies. Should scare Octanes or Scouts, maybe FTRs. It will be good to see them on the road.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Yep just look at that test between the Heritage Classic and the Super Chief, it's like Harley and Polaris have traded places! The Harley has 4 valves per cylinder and a mono shock rear suspension while Indian is in yesteryear with 2 valve cylinders and twin rear shocks with a measly 3" of travel!
    I was at a rally in Mackinac city and frankly the Harleys were overall much sharper looking bikes than the Indians. Lots of gloss paint with black engines and trim, something Indian seems incapable of building other than on 1 specialty bike.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  4. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I was in at my local Yamaha, Polaris, Indian, Honda, Suzuki, BMW, dealer last week. There were 2 2021 hondas on the floor. About 5 Indians and I didn’t look to see if they were 2021 or not. Very few other brands in stock other than a plethora of BMW’s. Clearly there is a supply problem for all brands. i didn’t ask anyone when the new models would arrive, but clearly they are a long way off and we are already mid way through the year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rollinwind

Rollinwind Active Member

16 Magnum
    Cant build anything now without chips. There is no end in sight either. Its being kept kind of quite too. Our country is doing something about it but its only a guesstimate things will get to be catching up next year. If I were making decisions at Indian... I wouldn't build new bikes next year either. Just optimize operations and get ready for 23. Last I checked they still got some build quality bugs to work on too.

6. JERLERTURN

JERLERTURN Member

05 KingPin & 16 Magnum
    Absolutely!,,on spot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Herding cats comes to mind... As for trading in the Vic for an Indian, not yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. working dog

working dog Member

Victory Cross Country, BMW1200CL
    I'm sorry, but being an Aussie I don't understand the first thing about all of this.
    No...please don't try and explain it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ReigningScorpios

ReigningScorpios Member

2006 Vegas 8 Ball
    M
    My point of THE JOKE was that when times got hard, Indian shut the doors, as opposed to turning their backs and selling out to Japan. Loyalty from Indian.
    Also Japan had made a lot of improvements from what Harley said so that was the "next idea" part.
    Ive owned a Harley and they are nice bikes but as far as pride goes, that belongs to Indian.
    Just my opinion and just a joke.
    I hope Indian NEVER has to shut the doors again.

10. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Not to me. Indian is no Indian.... It's a Polaris. A Polaris that started as a Victory. I say the pride belongs to Victory.

Indian is nothing more than a name and a badge now days. They are Victory at heart. Unfortunately the sheep did not embrace them and Polaris did a crap job of advertising.

I may own an Indian some day but it will not be because of any heritage they are trying to take advantage of. It will also not be because Indian makes a good bike, it's because Polaris does.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    I saw that Ford is closing some factories because of the chip sh*t. Also saw Ford is sending inventory to dealers without chip and then the dealers will have to install and set up. I don't think I'd trust that, I worked in several dealerships years back and alot of mechanics don't have those skills. If this is true look out!!! Way to many computers in modern vehicles.
    For the prices I'd rather buy a decent early 2000 or late 90's and completely rebuild. Probably cheaper and still have the luxuries I care about. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rollinwind

Rollinwind Active Member

16 Magnum
    its getting worse. Cant make a lot of Radar detectors now and they going out of stock . One year lead time on some of the chips they are using. Talk about **** backed out to 23 !

14. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Well hopefully the reverse happens, radar guns go down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    As for Indian, I just noticed the HD Sportster S and you can't tell me that isn't aimed at the Scout Series. I know their excuse is emission standards in Europe can't be met with the "Air-Cooled" Sportster. So wal-la a new scooter following the Pam America that is more powerful (120+hp) and better looking than the re-badged Octane. Good thing they brought out the Challenger, because I see a new redesigned larger HD engine on the way...

Victory was ahead in tech and they damaged themselves by not openly folding it into the Indian brand... I cannot forget my hurt peelings as the "best motorcycle on the Planet", built for performance in it's form, was just thrown out next to the trash on the back porch. Treated so badly for an old flame...

Not even a reach around as the door hit us in the ass.
    E42F16F7-835E-43D7-BE4F-31065219DAF5.jpeg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1