Should Indian shut their doors again ? | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Should Indian shut their doors again ?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ReigningScorpios, Jul 8, 2021.

1. benawhati

benawhati Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2017 Vic Gunner/2011 VIc XC "Tour"
    Bridgekeeper: “What… is your name?”
    King Arthur: “It is Arthur – King of the Britons.”
    Bridgekeeper: “What… is your quest?”
    King Arthur: “To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: “What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?”
    King Arthur: “What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?”
    Bridgekeeper: “I don’t know that. Aaaaaaaaagh!”

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    We need to remember here that Victory grew out of Polaris' mid1990s unsuccessful attempt to buy the Indian brand name. If the attempt had been successful, what we know as Victory's would have been wearing an Indian tank badge. Whether the apparent magic of the brand name would have worked well enough to keep them in production, who knows?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    It was also an era where motorcycles were all the rage. Everyone was getting back into it. Riding a motorcycle was back and in full force. Sons of anarchy was on TV and the blacked out Dyna bikes were popular. The Tuttles amongst other bike builders were on TV showing off their talents and creativity. From Billy Lane to Arlen Ness. Eddie Trotta to Exile motorcycles ? Big Dog to Roland Sands!!!
    MC clubs showed up at bike events everywhere. Victory had Arlen Ness in their corner and Harleys SG was the most popular bike on the planet. Willie G was with us and the vibe was very much alive. Victory slowly was attracting new buyers with their winner XC and magnum bikes as well as their steel frames. The purchase of the Indian brand by Polaris was looked at as monumental! The talk on the street was American motorcycles were very much alive and we now have choices of 3 great bikes.
    So then all of a sudden what happened? Many stopped riding. Garage queens were up for sale everywhere. The TV shows slowly went off the air. The bike events drew less bikers and more party going young people. Survival of the fittest stepped in and here we are talking about the demise of Harley Davidson (another thread ) and “ should Indian shut down”.
    The worst thing that could happen now is if Indian shut down. We would eventually have no suppprt from Polaris and they will be looked at ( by the Mc crowd) as the company to stay away from. Harley Davidson will suffer from no competition as the Japanese are barely bringing any new American style cruisers to market. Triumph stands alone and always have. Imagine a time like the 80’s and 90’s where HD motorcycles were hard to get. Many settled for a jap knock off or simply rode a sport bike.

Times are changing once again. This time it will cost you when the vibe comes around again for a bagger or any motorcycle for that matter because many can’t simply afford them.
    Those of us that have hung in there. Stayed true to who we are are here today. Writing on forums and riding our loved machines. For us it’s still a great time because we still have those with us that share the same enthusiasm and passion for riding. We’re in a better position because of our age the choices we made to be where we are at today. You may not be rich but your still on a Victory. Many of us could care less if Indian shuts the doors or Harley for that matter. We’re Victory guys and we know we are on the best bikes. Still imagine a world if it did happen.
    No more new HD or new Indian.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jandjp

jandjp Well-Known Member

Vision
    Maybe, depends on what she looks like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    IMG-20210709-WA0005.jpg ATT00016.jpg ATT00011.jpg ATT00005.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Canuckrob

Canuckrob Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    I hav no idea whether Indian should close or stay open, but I can tell you I have seen more Indians, all models, up here in Ontario then I have ever seen in my life.....seeing almost as many Indians as Harleys here in my little spot on the big blue ball.

• Like Like x 4
  7. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    LMAO! For what it's worth, it's not your ingrish...:rofl2:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads, Mrs. rides a 2006 Vegas premium
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

All "the nicest people" that started riding Harley's in the mid 1990s.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    You mean all the nice people that started riding “Honda’s”
    The M8 ? Isn’t that motor similar to a VTX motor ?

11. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

Yep, those nice people making the move once Evo motors made Harley's reliable and oiltight..

12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Funny ….. I was never that guy. Loved my Honda CB 750. Rode that bike every day. Didn’t get into cruisers till the last kid left the house then it was a couple Honda’s again. 3 to be exact and ended the jap thing on a Kawasaki Voyager 1700. When I saw the Vic’s it was love at first sight. Walked away from a HD SG purchase in 2012 that was in the works to buy the better bike and save $5k.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

Any bike that puts a smile on your face is a good bike. I liked my old SOHC 750 Honda. Inherited it after a mate missed a corner at high speed and met a barbed wire fence. I hauled a sidecar with it for 5 years, until my daughter was tall enough to ride pillion, then gave it to another mate who was into sidecars. It left the shed along with the Norton and Katana when the Sportster took up residence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    87CC0D7C-DD7A-4CF2-8BE0-0A3375A9DC60.jpeg I had acquired a rare breed of Suzuki when I was a teen. Had a good Oldsmobile engine that was sitting that I took out of a wreck. This kids dad was building him an olds cutlass convertible for high school so he offered his old Suzuki 500 parallel twin 2 stroke as a trade and I took it. I’ve not seen another to this day but I definitely put that bike on the road and rode the snot out of it. Mostly 2 up with my girl on back. The bike was leaking serious power when my buddy picked up a Kawi 500 triple and used run by me like I was standing still.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

They were a popular bike in Oz, a lot of them on the road. A very reliable bike as well. I shared a house for a while with a bloke who owned one, and rode it a few times. At the time I had a couple of W2 650 Kawasakis. That place in Brisbane was a biker stronghold for 5 years. People came and went, at various times we had parked under the house the Suzi 500, the 2 Kawa 650s, T150 Triumph Trident, XS750 triple, then an XS850 triple, GT750 Ducati, my then wifes Yamaha XS650B, then my 2 Norton Commandos just before I pulled out and moved to Obi Obi. Wild crazy times.

• Like Like x 2