VOG Forum banner

Should Indian shut their doors again ?

7534 Views 109 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Trout
The other day I was racing a Dyna, and I started thinking about the thread on " Vanity Plates". So I pulled over and waited for the Dyna to pass me and sure enough, it had vanity plates. It closely resembled the plate on the 2015 Road Slide I beat a couple weeks ago. It was still stuck to the fender the guy kicked off cause it wouldnt start.
They both said somthn somthn somthn HD.
I assume that means Harshly Diluted, since thats what they did when they stole the blue prints from Indian back in 1901.
Anyway, I came up with a genius idea.
If Indian was to shut their doors again, just a short time,, then Harshly would have to sell back to Japan in order to come up with their next idea. And we could all laugh and smile AND HAVE REALLY GOOD TIME.
I mean, that's what its all about right !!!
What do you think ?
Ok. No Harley jokes.
Im sorry.
Tough bunch.
Who knows how to delete this?
(ah damn, now he's talking about deleting. What's with this guy?)
Idk
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Wait …… Indian shut down ? Polaris is re opening Victory ? What did Harley steal from Honda ?

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
We need to remember here that Victory grew out of Polaris' mid1990s unsuccessful attempt to buy the Indian brand name. If the attempt had been successful, what we know as Victory's would have been wearing an Indian tank badge. Whether the apparent magic of the brand name would have worked well enough to keep them in production, who knows?
It was also an era where motorcycles were all the rage. Everyone was getting back into it. Riding a motorcycle was back and in full force. Sons of anarchy was on TV and the blacked out Dyna bikes were popular. The Tuttles amongst other bike builders were on TV showing off their talents and creativity. From Billy Lane to Arlen Ness. Eddie Trotta to Exile motorcycles ? Big Dog to Roland Sands!!!
MC clubs showed up at bike events everywhere. Victory had Arlen Ness in their corner and Harleys SG was the most popular bike on the planet. Willie G was with us and the vibe was very much alive. Victory slowly was attracting new buyers with their winner XC and magnum bikes as well as their steel frames. The purchase of the Indian brand by Polaris was looked at as monumental! The talk on the street was American motorcycles were very much alive and we now have choices of 3 great bikes.
So then all of a sudden what happened? Many stopped riding. Garage queens were up for sale everywhere. The TV shows slowly went off the air. The bike events drew less bikers and more party going young people. Survival of the fittest stepped in and here we are talking about the demise of Harley Davidson (another thread ) and " should Indian shut down".
The worst thing that could happen now is if Indian shut down. We would eventually have no suppprt from Polaris and they will be looked at ( by the Mc crowd) as the company to stay away from. Harley Davidson will suffer from no competition as the Japanese are barely bringing any new American style cruisers to market. Triumph stands alone and always have. Imagine a time like the 80's and 90's where HD motorcycles were hard to get. Many settled for a jap knock off or simply rode a sport bike.

Times are changing once again. This time it will cost you when the vibe comes around again for a bagger or any motorcycle for that matter because many can't simply afford them.
Those of us that have hung in there. Stayed true to who we are are here today. Writing on forums and riding our loved machines. For us it's still a great time because we still have those with us that share the same enthusiasm and passion for riding. We're in a better position because of our age the choices we made to be where we are at today. You may not be rich but your still on a Victory. Many of us could care less if Indian shuts the doors or Harley for that matter. We're Victory guys and we know we are on the best bikes. Still imagine a world if it did happen.
No more new HD or new Indian.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
All "the nicest people" that started riding Harley's in the mid 1990s.
You mean all the nice people that started riding "Honda's"
The M8 ? Isn't that motor similar to a VTX motor ?

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Yep, those nice people making the move once Evo motors made Harley's reliable and oiltight..
Funny ….. I was never that guy. Loved my Honda CB 750. Rode that bike every day. Didn't get into cruisers till the last kid left the house then it was a couple Honda's again. 3 to be exact and ended the jap thing on a Kawasaki Voyager 1700. When I saw the Vic's it was love at first sight. Walked away from a HD SG purchase in 2012 that was in the works to buy the better bike and save $5k.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle
I had acquired a rare breed of Suzuki when I was a teen. Had a good Oldsmobile engine that was sitting that I took out of a wreck. This kids dad was building him an olds cutlass convertible for high school so he offered his old Suzuki 500 parallel twin 2 stroke as a trade and I took it. I've not seen another to this day but I definitely put that bike on the road and rode the snot out of it. Mostly 2 up with my girl on back. The bike was leaking serious power when my buddy picked up a Kawi 500 triple and used run by me like I was standing still.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Got my tire changed at the local Indian dealer Friday, they have 4 new bikes on the floor. They can't get bikes, getting a couple a month! If Indian can't start getting parts to build bikes they won't have much choice but to shut down. I don't know how the dealers are keeping the doors open.
Service and being a multi brand dealer also helps. You should see our local HD dealer. Lowest inventory I've ever seen. Lots of used bikes on the lot but who wants a used (someone else's problem)Harley……

Now the wigwam here ? They just got Ducati added. With BMW and yamaha plus ATV and watercraft you can say there a power sports super store. Funny though …. Polaris didn't want Indian to compete with Victory.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
You bet as I almost bought, within seconds, a Springfield before the Great Betrayal. It was going to share garage space with the Victory, but my hiney got hurt and well the deal didn't go down. But I do take a peek every now and then, but...
When that Springfield first came out I was sold. Then I rode one and determined it was the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. Even today I would love to own one in all its classic full flared glory. Like the Road Kings ……. A real classic. Truly one of Indians best accomplishments.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
My loyalty has always been to my self. My hard earned $$$ so my choice. The stab in the back decision that Polaris made never ruined what they created and built. Fine motorcycles. Another great American choice. History in the making when we had 3 top tier American motorcycles to choose from. Hard to believe they couldn’t see it long term and make it work today. The challenger could have came in as the beginning of a new Victory model lineup with the Octane still sitting next to a Scout on the floor. Imagine the victory bikes we all know and love with a challenger motor in it. With a modern infotainment system on it. Keep our tanks and modern styling making small changes along the way. Victory is still the most modern looking American motorcycle on the street. So instead Polaris buys Indian and copies Harley after they run out of original Indian styling ideas. Look at how well that was received. Well another rant by me so my apologies.

Yes the Springfield could of still found it’s way into my garage but today I just don’t have the desire to purchase anything new. I’m having enough of a time keeping what I got pristine and enjoyable. That’s enough for me. The best part is knowing the Springfield was built and it exists and is available. Why that appeals to me ? Because ya never know ….. I may have a change of heart someday.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Thankfully I'm still 100% content with my CCT with 85K miles on it. Sure, I look at new bikes from time to time but reality quickly sets in. It would take $25K to $35K to replace a CCT with a similar new bike. One that does absolutely nothing proportionally better than my CCT does. The new Indians and H-D's have an 'infotainment' system. Ok, fine, I'm sure it's very nice. But also not worth anywhere near the price difference between them and what an 85K mile CCT is worth on Trade In. So, yes, I likely have the last touring bike I'll ever get. If my CCT were to get damaged, I'd be many $1,000's ahead by just getting another CCT and still enjoy the familiarity, the performance and the uniqueness of the Victory CCT.
This is why a new bike will not find its way into many of our lives. If we had to replace ours then we could. I see great low mile deals daily on Victory X bikes. Visions I'm noticing are harder to come by. Lately I've seen a good rush on people buying them up quickly when they show up on market.

Reactions: wayne guess

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
To me I thought it was cool you could buy a victory from any old motorcycle shop. Or a tractor shop or a ATV shop. The bikes were being put out there like a test. Then there was Arlen Ness and Eddie Trotta that became dealers. Powersports shops brought them in. Rick Fairless Strokers Dallas. It was a development time but the missing link was the HD style boutique shop. Indian got it and that right there told the world we are now building quality bikes that people want to own and ride. Funny …… Victory owners are the riders.

Reactions: Barry and Flyboy

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
I like some of there bikes and I'm in the market for a new one. My local Indian/Polaris dealer is booking out 7 weeks to get in for any kind of service. Sorry that is unacceptable, I will not purchase a bike if the company can not service it. After warranty is up I usually go to local bike mechanic but If I'm on the road touring you expect to go to an Indian dealer.
Just curious. When you say new one you mean Indian ? Which model are you interested in. I'm surprised to hear that service on a Polaris Indian is so backed up ? Is this because of the multi branded dealers having other brands to repair ? With The reliability of an Indian that would not stop me from purchasing and riding. My bike has seen the inside of a shop twice in 10 yrs for an issue that grounded me. The rest was tires and when scheduled was an in and out day. Go get your steed and post some pics.

Reactions: Flyboy

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Yes it is because it is muti branded dealer. They sell all polaris products + a coupe others. I still have my 2012 XC and love the bike but I'm a little nervous on long distance trips now for the same reasons although it has been very reliable over the years. I was looking at a roadmaster. New goldwing or BMW K1600 are my other options. HD doesn't currently have any touring bikes that I really like.
All great choices to replace an XCT. I'm partial to the seating position and longevity comfort of the Road master. The Goldwing has always been a consideration especially after riding one. Awesome machine. Still all day comfort and passenger comfort is key for me. I understand the newest Wing Tour has some nice upgrades that would make me take a harder look. Hardest part around here is getting one.
There's anew blacked out version that I'm afraid of spotting on a dealers floor. Pics look great and I'm all about less is more especially in the cleaning dept. good luck. It's an exciting time for you.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Ok ……. I just watched a 50 minute video from motorcyclist magazine reviewing the new 2021 GW tour and yes the all black DCT. Awesome looking. Not sure I’ve seen a more positive review of a motorcycle ever. He covered everything you could want to know about the bike. A great ride thru Malibu and then the backroads of California. I’m more interested in this bike than I have been in the past. This could be the one kingpin. I think it’s a winner.

Reactions: Kingpin007

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Yes nothing compares to the XC as far as seating and leg room. Unfortunately Victory is no longer and parts will be unavailable in another 5 years. Ya I know there is after market but we plan on doing lots of touring in our retirement years coming up soon and I want dealer support when needed. They are all quite different bikes for sure with both positives and negative features. I test rode a BMW K1600 a coupe years ago and I was surprised how comfortable it was on a hour ride with different seating position and not much room to stretch your legs. I haven't ridden a goldwing or roadmaster yet.
The Roadmaster will be the weakest of the bunch. It's really all about that touring comfort. Check out the motorcyclist review on YouTube with the all black 2021 dct. It's and hour long but we'll done. He's riding with other wings and the one next to him has a passenger on back. Great watch.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
If reliability is your main concern on our currently aging bikes that has been very reliable to this point, another option is that you could have your current xc completely rebuilt for much less than the cost of a new machine. New is just new & not always better
I get that but I have a new 2016 Magnum. The new wing is more about a new adventure …… experience. Especially the DCT. It's easy on the eyes. Styling is the best ever for a wing. It oozes 2021 technology unlike Harley and Indian that still look like old restyled bikes with an infotainment system.
Not sure why I have a sudden change Brad about this wing. I liked the new styling the day it came out and now that Honda is listened to their customer fixing the top case issue and bringing me my blacked out version ……. I looked and I like. Never really followed up on the reviews either till now. Been watching review after review and never have I seen more positive feedback. Best part is it does nothing the best but it does everything well ! The DCT seems to be the hit and after riding one I get it. I like it. For just a grand more it's appealing but I'm on the fence about it regarding ownership. If it were my only bike I think I'd pass on the DCT. Keep a Vic and a Goldwing ? …..that would make the DCT an easier choice. I like clutch and shift action. Gotta have atleast one bike I can ride like that. Like my muscle cars. Got be a man shift !

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Is it weird I prefer the trunked everything, well everything but show & hoppers
Not at all. My buddy bought the Bagger wing with the matte finish ( terrible ) and orange motor trim ( not to bad ) it's a DCT …. The one I rode. My Magnums stealth finish has more of a satin look to it compared. The wings finish is more like a chalk board. No likey. Can't wait to see an all blacked out one hoping the black accents are more satin against gloss. My favorite combination.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Oh and it’s not weird to like a trunk on a bike that should have a trunk on it. The Goldwing is definitely that bike.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
All Hell, I like it, damn. You are the Devil ain't ya... With the leg rest bars over the cylinders I bet they will make, yeah Flyboy Likey...
View attachment 583033
Or
View attachment 583035
I like it too. Mostly because it's so Americana with a German designed power train. It's very handsome and expensive ( looking ). As with anything motorcycle…… have to ride it to see if I really like it. Going to local Indian wigwam tomorrow which yes …. As a power-sports dealer also sells BMW.

· Premium Member
13,039 Posts
One thing about BMW. They do it their way. I like it cause it’s true to their style. Has class and finesse. Wouldn’t own one unless I liked riding it and had the funds to own it. JLeno prolly has one on order. Yeah ….. he’s that guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.