VOG Forum banner

Should Indian shut their doors again ?

7534 Views 109 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Trout
The other day I was racing a Dyna, and I started thinking about the thread on " Vanity Plates". So I pulled over and waited for the Dyna to pass me and sure enough, it had vanity plates. It closely resembled the plate on the 2015 Road Slide I beat a couple weeks ago. It was still stuck to the fender the guy kicked off cause it wouldnt start.
They both said somthn somthn somthn HD.
I assume that means Harshly Diluted, since thats what they did when they stole the blue prints from Indian back in 1901.
Anyway, I came up with a genius idea.
If Indian was to shut their doors again, just a short time,, then Harshly would have to sell back to Japan in order to come up with their next idea. And we could all laugh and smile AND HAVE REALLY GOOD TIME.
I mean, that's what its all about right !!!
What do you think ?
Ok. No Harley jokes.
Im sorry.
Tough bunch.
Who knows how to delete this?
(ah damn, now he's talking about deleting. What's with this guy?)
Idk
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,880 Posts
“Should Indian shut their doors again?” No, absolutely not.

Will Indian shut their doors again? No idea. But Polaris does have history of opening and closing different markets.

· Registered
6,880 Posts
Harley is stepping up its game, Indian had better take note.
You're correct of course.

But it's the difference between a 'motorcycle company' and a 'company that makes motorcycles'. When Polaris was building the Victory brand, they were doing all they could to build a better American motorcycle. Yes, I know, they didn't do everything right. But, ever since Polaris released their first Indian, they seem to have been in coast mode relying on the 'history' of the brand, not the bikes themselves.

No one can name 3 Polaris Indian design attributes that are unique. Sure, they've taken existing technology and integrated it into the bikes. So what, so have most brands. Nothing 'new' here.

What has Polaris uniquely developed themselves to build Indian? What's been the Polaris stamp on the Indian heritage? When their two best selling bikes are basically rebadged Victory's, I'd say: Polaris ran out of unique motorcycle ideas when they developed the Cross bikes for the 2010 model year. Just about everything since has been a re-hash of the work done by others.

I want them to do better. To somehow get back to what they were over a decade ago.

· Registered
6,880 Posts
Thankfully I'm still 100% content with my CCT with 85K miles on it. Sure, I look at new bikes from time to time but reality quickly sets in. It would take $25K to $35K to replace a CCT with a similar new bike. One that does absolutely nothing proportionally better than my CCT does. The new Indians and H-D's have an 'infotainment' system. Ok, fine, I'm sure it's very nice. But also not worth anywhere near the price difference between them and what an 85K mile CCT is worth on Trade In. So, yes, I likely have the last touring bike I'll ever get. If my CCT were to get damaged, I'd be many $1,000's ahead by just getting another CCT and still enjoy the familiarity, the performance and the uniqueness of the Victory CCT.

· Registered
6,880 Posts
How, if at all, does the new BMW R18 Transcontinental move you? That would be my choice today if I were looking to limit my legroom and if I were in the mode to spend $30K. Fortunately, neither sounds good to me at this time. Too bad the blue/silver one has the blacked out motor.

R 18 Transcontinental

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.