Should Helmet Locks and Fork Locks Be Standard Equipment On Vics? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Should Helmet Locks and Fork Locks Be Standard Equipment On Vics?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Andy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    While helmet/fork locks have been brought up in a number of threads, I thought I'd start a fresh thread dedicated to this topic.

Personally, when I first purchased my Vision, I spend some time searching for the Helmet Locks only to learn there weren't any. While most helmet locks found on bikes are basically deterrents and not the end all solution, it was one of the few bikes I've owned that did not include them.

One day, when the Vision was in the shop for an oil change, the Dealer loaned me a Vegas to ride to lunch. When I was parked it at the restaurant, I searched for a way to lock the forks...and there was none.

Are these two features something that should be standard equipment on bikes these days?

Comments and opinions welcomed.

2. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    No question about it, a security system as well. They don't mind asking 20k for a bike, give us something for it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MONKEY666

MONKEY666 New Member

H-D custom FXR, GSXR 1000, Buell XB12S

Apparently they believe this should be our solution.
    [​IMG]

4. Bambam

Bambam Member

I'm surprised that the Vision has no helmet locks especially since it is a touring bike. The Wing had two locks built in.
    My next purchase for the Pin will be the helmet locks from Kewl metal.
    So my answer is, definitely the Victories should have helmet and fork locks.

5. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    Honestly, I don't consider either to be a significant oversight. Most heavyweight motorcycles sold these days do not have helmet locks and fork locks on a 700 lbs motorcycle seen redundant. Especially since I doubt a fork lock every really prevented a theft.

A good wheel lock and the bar end locks for your helmets are perfectly adequate and the cost is chump change if you are so inclined.

Remember the target market, The Other American motorcycle company. They don't have helmet locks and 90% of the people who ride them have never locked the forks (at least 90% of the people I ride with and that includes me).

6. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads
    Yes and yes... But it doesn't end there. There are a few standard features on lesser bikes that would be nice. A sensor on the kickstand so you dont jump off your bike in gear. Fuel cut off if your bike is laid down. A passing light, I miss that the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Putter

Putter Member

'09 Hammer
    Not too concerned about a helmet lock. ( No, I do use a helmet. I've just found another way to lock it.)

However, I do wish there were at least fork locks if not a more aggressive system. They will not stop a dedicated thief but it will deter the prankster. I would rather have the thing stolen than $1,000 worth of damage I need to repair.

8. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    As I understand it the side stand neutral safety switch is something that was left off for 2 reasons.
    1. It's not required on a bike over a certain size or if the side stand is designed to fold up if left down and no load is on it.
    2. Many focus groups by both Victory and Harley have shown the "traditional" rider doesn't want it and equates it to "Jap" bikes, something both companies take to heart.

Honestly, I could go either way on this. I just adapt to whatever the bike requires.

They do have a clutch neutral safety switch to prevent you from starting the bike in gear without the clutch being pulled? I think that's required by law.

There is a tip over sensor that will cut the engine and fuel pump power.

A passing light, that would be nice.

9. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads

I thought the tip over sensor was only on the X-bikes. I do know for a fact it was not on the 08 Vegas Low. The bike kept running on it's side in my driveway until I hit the switch.

10. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide

No on the fork lock. I have seen to many failures in my time with ignition operated ones, and to many wrecks with remote ones. Seems like every biker I know has a friend named "Forklock"
    Helmet locks I also have no need for. Around here if you have it locked they just cut the strap.
    What I do believe in is a good insurance policy

11. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    you can use a flash to pass(at least my 04 had a flash mode). Helmet locks would be nice as well as either a security system or a disc lock built into the caliper would be really sweet.

None of these are necessities are only deterrents but still would be nice for when you feel the need.

Since my CC doesn't have a fork lock I'll be buying a caliper or disc lock.

There's aftermarket options for helmet locks as well.

12. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    All the '09 and '10 bikes show it but it's not on the parts list for '08. Looks like something added in '09.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

13. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    The fuel pump sensor was added to Victory's 2009 Cruiser lineup. Check this video around 3:30:

14. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

So it took 10 years to get 15 year old technology? Maybe in 10 more years we can look forward to water inside of an engine...lol

15. FishWitch

FishWitch New Member

Argg on the kickstand safety feature. I can not count how many times I've ridden off with my stand down. I'm just waiting for the thing to fall off one of these days. I'm always checking it to make sure it's still secure.

My helmet will fit in the tour pack on my KP IF it's empty(Rarely). I do have a cable and the $$Victory leather covered lock I bought because I felt the need to buy something and didn't need anything. I can also run the cable thru the sleeve of my jacket and full face and secure everything when all my bags are loaded up.

I also added $3000 extra coverage on my bike to cover my tour bags, helmet, and GPS, etc. It will be a major inconvenience but at least I can recoup any losses if needed.

I've only used the lock once on the forks. WHAT A PAIN! Just remember to remove the key and you should be ok. (Another good one! I now always say , "Got your key?")

Most helmet locks with a full face only will secure by the strap. All ya gotta do is unbuckle that and its as good as gone.

• Like Like x 1