VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of the long whip antenna trying to poke my eye out when I walked around the back of the bike so I replaced it with a generic flexible 14 inch rubber antenna. This is available at either Autozone or Advance Auto and probably other auto parts stores. Very enexpensive. It comes with different adaptors for the different threads but they don't work. The threds in the mount on the XC are the same as the new antenna. I found a 2 1/2 inch long screw that had the right threads and cut the head off. I then put some locktite on the screw and put it into the antenna. After it set up I screwed it into the antenna mount on the bike and the reception was just as good if not better. I believe the package said it was an amplified antenna.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

dragon6,
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Time to go to the
autoparts store.
WW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I replaced my antenna with the 14" one as well. I think the bolt size I purchased was a 7mm. Cut the head off one end and you have the stud you need to mount the new antenna into Victory's mounting point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the same thing, but actually went to the hardware and found an automotive double ended threaded connector that worked perfectly. Also, since the antenna is flexible I took a small tie wrap and tied it to the bracket for the Saddle bag. No more visible antenna,and I haven't noticed it effecting the radio's performance at all. Just nice clean lines of the bike!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

I just did the same thing. Thanks again dragon6!!
Woody63 good idea about the flexible antenna.
I will try it.
Webby

·
Registered
56 Posts

I took the antenna to the hardware store and just found the bolt in the hardware bins. I didn't pay any attention to the size of the fitting I bought. It was definitely metric.
Sorry I don't have better details.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello , Thanks for the tips on the short antenna, I found one today for 8.50 with tax and used a 6mm threaded rod and a lock nut, cut the rod down to 2 inches,used the lock nut as a thread stop for the antenna side and some lock tight and am good to go.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
just like everyone else, i am going to be doing it this weekend…looks great! i RARELY use the radio since i have the ipod connector and TONS of music on it. I just wish the navigation through the artists and albums and playlists were a little easier to navigate through…like holding the button down to "page through" the lists. With 30 gigs of music on there it takes QUITE sometime to get to the album you are looking for. I would to have liked to see you be able to choose the artist THEN it bring you to a page with the albums under that artist. as it is, when you choose an artist, it just starts playing everything under that artist. you cant choose an album. It's still better than commercials though :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.