VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've been riding for a few years now. I'm a combat veteran and finally an owner of a new Victory. The reason for this post is to help you all avoid what I went through today at a Approved Victory Dealer, called Dothan Powersports, in Dothan Alabama, one with a calibration machine. I was charged 2 hours labor for a stage one calibration, which i was told by the tech took .6 to complete. When i asked to be charged fairly, i offered to pay a full hour in efforts to diffuse the situation. The service manager had a tech go out and lock the bike up while we tried to come to a solution. I even went to the manager of the dealership and was told "too bad." The svc. manager told me that he charged me the 2 hours because he was the only one in the area with the machine and he could charge whatever he wants. The story goes on but i won't bore you all with it. I just want to help out all my brothers from getting taken like I did. happy riding and see you in the curves.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

So where are all these not up to par Vic shops at? Is a lot the one you are talking about? I agree based on what I read that there are some that are not that good based on the 2 in this thread.
I have purchased4 Vics at 4 different dealers and have had service at a few more. All were good, some better than others. I have visited Vic dealers all over the country, but have never met one that looked bad.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Slick, the tech beat the 'shop rate' of 2 hrs and made some $ that day.
The dealer should quote the job first for you to agree or not. If the quote was aproved by you, then the only fault is the dealer attitude and probably yours as well. The dealer is right, he can charge 'market rate' or whatever he wants but shouldn't be in your face about it (unless that was the appropriate response to the tome of your objections).
Chill in peace.
Shark

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Shark said:
Slick, the tech beat the 'shop rate' of 2 hrs and made some $ that day.
The dealer should quote the job first for you to agree or not. If the quote was aproved by you, then the only fault is the dealer attitude and probably yours as well. The dealer is right, he can charge 'market rate' or whatever he wants but shouldn't be in your face about it (unless that was the appropriate response to the tome of your objections).
Chill in peace.
Shark
EXCEPT that shop rate to install a flash IS NOT 2 hrs. Perhaps it's 2 hours if you have to install the pipes, filter and flash but not just the flash.

I agree the mistake was made up front, you should always ask for a quote or at a minimum, "what's this gonna set me back" before any work is started.

Still waiting to see what the actual $$$$ charges were but anything over $50 is rape!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the actual charge was $150, when i asked to be charged for the work that was done (.6 as per the tech who worked on it) and even offered to pay a full hour. i was told to take my bill and just go pay it, that he didn't care. After i paid it and went outside to get out of there, i found that they had pulled the bike into a garage and locked it up because they thought i was going to steal it. The service manager told me that if i had bought everything from him (which would have been around $1200+ according to their book) he would have charged me the .6 that it took. I was a tad dumb-founded......

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I never had this done, but from what I have read on here I think that is about the going price for the download and the flash not just the flash. I would say the dealer handled this poorly and if that is his attitude he will not be around long. But with that said, this is only one side of the story. I have tried to help several people out with dealer/manufacturer issues and sometimes the perspectives are totally different.
I have a good dealer but like MJW said always find out the price before getting the work done, then everyone agrees and everyone is happy with no surprises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hear your point, but i've also spent a few years behind the wrench and doing body work. If you tell a guy its going to take 2 hours, and it takes less, you shouldn't be taking the money that you didn't make. everyone has to make a living, but you don't have to make it getting one over on folks. I'm sure everyone would agree that paying for the time that it took or even rounding it up to an hour would be fair. But a full hour paid for no work, because i didn't buy it from him? i'd rather buy the tech's in the back a case of beer

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

This doesn't only apply to bike shops, ever watch them work on your car or truck, they will work on three or four other cars at same time as your and you still pay for all the time your car is there, I guess it is something to do with the flat rate time to do work
Regards

·
Registered
44 Posts
how long it actually takes to do the job has nothing to do with the price your paying for the job not the time a good tech can make alot of money doing 13 or 14 hours of work in 8 hours but a slow one can make 4 hours of pay in 8 hours if they're slow in the end they get paid for the job not the time there's nothing dishonest or shady about this know what your buying before you buy it

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I had a flash upgrade a ways back it didn, t work out to well at all as it screwed the pouch! I paid 125 for the sore ass at an Edmonton shop!
Personally my opinion on any dealer work other than to install chrome change oil or put air in tires , is fare out of the relms of there expertise! But I have to agree get a quote first.
But heres a question , I know im hard on Vic shops localy but why all the attitude from them arn, t there any nice people up here or down there by the op,?

·
Registered
164 Posts
My dealer charged me $62.50 CAD to do the Stage 1 flash. I bought card from him ($209 CAD) but not the mufflers or air filter.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I will clarify. I purchased the s+s I take and flash from the dealer , they would not supply the thor 2 I to one pipes so I brought them, they at the time were happy to do it ! They were supposed to do an install parts including flash as they are an s+s dealer and supplier! They did the pipe install and the intake install but then the teck had a hissy fit and would not do the flash finnally had the flash done at anouther dealer total costs
Dealer 1 for installs 759.oo includes price of s+s intake and flash card!
Dealer 2 125 for flash install! Tottalal ost 1000 bucks and it ran like ****! Had to get my son to trialer me home 120 miles! Down for 2 weeks before I could get the PC5 install and dyno tune after an outside shop looked at the a/f mix he just shook his head and told me how lucky I was not to ha e run it like that! Oh ya that was anouther 500 bucks for dyno and Pc5 complete with install , then it ran well! Not many bad Vic dealers about and Im not even saying the ones I visited are but in my situation and for what I had worked out before hand I have absalutly no , zero confidence in there shops! I will continue to do what work I can myself and what I am not sure of I will go to a jobber shop or to Vic Pro! I wish I felt as good about Vic aftermarket as some but after the crap they dealt me not going to happen! Sorry about the rant! IM going rideing now!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
For those who want fast, buy a used 600cc crotch rocket. When you feel the need to scare the sh*t out of yourself with speed, then find a deserted highway and give it h*ll. Then return, get on your v-twin and return to normal relaxed riding.

• Angry
Reactions: jocky
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.