VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my bike in to have the cruise control fixed and also noted that there was a squeak in the suspension.

The mechanic said there is a pivot point that needs grease but also my shock was leaking oil. So that brings me to my question, is there a better aftermarket shock, or should I stick with the factory part?

Edit: 2014 Victory Cross Country

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Does your rear shock lose air pressure? I have trust issues with mechanic's and I was an auto mechanic. lol

Stock one still good on my XR at 107k and counting.
True, but they are known to fail. The Penske is a much better shock anyway.

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It can leak oil without leaking air. If its leaking oil, the shock is shot. The shock is an oil shock with air assist for adjustment. You can look at the shock and see if there is oil on it.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Man, I don't know what to tell you. The oil and air are sealed by the same seals. If it were me I'd wait till a rear tire change so it can be inspected closely.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
What was wrong with your CC? And please post the fix if they do. Mine is acting funny. Think @Squatch runs a Penske rear. He is a big guy, don't know about you. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was wrong with your CC? And please post the fix if they do. Mine is acting funny. Think @Squatch runs a Penske rear. He is a big guy, don't know about you. Maybe he will chime in.
Mine quit functioning after my trip in the rain last year.

it was determined the module was bad.

i created a thread back when it happened, and my issues were unheard of from others that had cruise control issues.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My CC quit working after riding in a rain storm last year. After months of drying out it still didn't work. There is a procedure to check it out. Mine turned out to be an adjustment of the slack in the throttle cables. Once adjusted it started working again.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Hi guys, My penske shock came from traxxion Dynamics and is built for my weight and riding style. You can adjust the shock, but it is better to have it on a lift when doing so. I set mine for two up riding and just dealt withthe stiffer solo ride. My OEM lasted about 75K miles before showing signs of leaking.
Good shock? Yes!
Valving can be set by a good house.
Spring rate can be changed by owner with tools.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Penske shock is worth every penny. You would not regret spending the coin. Scott at Conquest Customs would hook you up. He was a lot of help to me after the purchase, helping with install questions.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks Ed, like he said, give us a call with any questions you may have 561-715-9494

Our Penske shock (and I say our, because we developed it with Penske) is set up for YOUR rider weight, is fully rebuildable, has adjustment of preload and rebound AND you can adjust ride height via the adjustable clevis. Best shock on the market for Vics PERIOD.

Penske Adjustable Race Shock (XC/XR/Vision)

Penske Adjustable Race Shock (Steel Frame)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I’m not sure my shock is actually bad. Is there any test the mechanic can do on it?

They stated it had oil leaking. But it holds air pressure.

I think the oil could be from me trying to spray lithium grease on the squeaking point. Perhaps run down.

I don’t want the mechanic to think I’m causing them of giving me bad information though. However I also don’t want to spend $800-$900 to replace a shock that isn’t bad.

I have 24k miles on my bike. It did have a collision before I owned it at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Ed, like he said, give us a call with any questions you may have 561-715-9494

Our Penske shock (and I say our, because we developed it with Penske) is set up for YOUR rider weight, is fully rebuildable, has adjustment of preload and rebound AND you can adjust ride height via the adjustable clevis. Best shock on the market for Vics PERIOD.

Penske Adjustable Race Shock (XC/XR/Vision)

Penske Adjustable Race Shock (Steel Frame)
I just wish it had a remote preload adjuster option, until then (or until I get a replacement 2up touring machine) the stock air shock is staying.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
After 2 stock air shocks going bad on my XC I decided to spend the extra money and get a Conquest Penske shock. Worth every cent. The only problem is it works so much better than the stock air shocks that it makes me want to spend the thousand bucks to get the Traxxion cartridges for the front forks. I'm hoping a simple rebuild and going with a lighter fork oil will do it though.

We tend to adapt to our bikes rather than set them up to ride better which is why I just tolerated the back tire hopping and otherwise not sticking to the road like it should. I didn't really know any better. Being on Harley's before Victory's wasn't any better. Short throw shocks that really didn't perform well either. I did make a big improvement on one FLHT Standard I had by getting some Ricor shocks. A big improvement but still not as good as the Penske on the XC with the 4" travel.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Does the mechanic know you sprayed lithium grease around the pivot points?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the mechanic know you sprayed lithium grease around the pivot points?
He does now.

I worry too much. I told him my concerns, mentioned that the shock holds air and the lithium grease. He said they needed to stock a shock anyways, and that they would check it out further when I bring the bike back for the cruise control.

·
Registered
417 Posts
After 2 stock air shocks going bad on my XC I decided to spend the extra money and get a Conquest Penske shock. Worth every cent. The only problem is it works so much better than the stock air shocks that it makes me want to spend the thousand bucks to get the Traxxion cartridges for the front forks. I'm hoping a simple rebuild and going with a lighter fork oil will do it though.

We tend to adapt to our bikes rather than set them up to ride better which is why I just tolerated the back tire hopping and otherwise not sticking to the road like it should. I didn't really know any better. Being on Harley's before Victory's wasn't any better. Short throw shocks that really didn't perform well either. I did make a big improvement on one FLHT Standard I had by getting some Ricor shocks. A big improvement but still not as good as the Penske on the XC with the 4" travel.
That's the thing, man - if you've never ridden a bike with truly great suspension you can live happily ever after. And I kind of recommend that route to most folks, because suspension can be $$$. But once you've been on one, you're ruined for life. Happened to me when I got my first KTM years back, because they come with custom-quality excellent stuff out of the box. Getting on just about every other bike made me think "oh my God, they sell them like this?" I've been pretty impressed with the Vic quality, but I know it can be better. Just haven't taken the plunge yet. It's surprisingly good and controlled for my ~155lbs. I really feel like the quality of stuff on dad's HD is pretty good, too - but when you only have something like 2" of travel something has to give. It can only be controlled and nice for its stroke, then you're SOL.

Glad to read that about the Penske, I'll probably get one soon. Is Traxxion our only front option up front? I've had Progressive build the front and rear for my last few sport bikes and have been very pleased. I've heard good stuff about Traxxion, too, just no personal experience with them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.