shifter bushings | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

shifter bushings

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by poppamark, Jun 6, 2014.

1. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 xcountry
    any one with anything to say on witch doctor bushings? I just put on the kewl metal heel shifter and i'm missing a lot ot 1/2 shifts because of slop in the shifter. I just put in new vic bushings and it is rediculous sloppy. any useful advice appreciated

2. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin

Craig loves his new bushings.He'll probably chime in here soon. You can readily see that the shifter and brake are a lot less sloppy. Not sure where he got them...

3. cwo4sailor

cwo4sailor Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2008 Honda ST1300, 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650

I installed witchdoctors bushings, they work as advertised.

4. Revolver

Revolver Member

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

I have the Witchdoctor bushings, they do help. Very happy with them.

5. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin

Had them on my XC, get them!

6. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

2011 xcountry

good enough for me i'll get some, thanks boys

7. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT

They work but do wear out. Bought a set 2 years ago and only replaced the shifter side. Just changed them out again with the other set.

8. snoopie

snoopie New Member

2012 Victory Hard Ball

Have the stock bushings on both my 2012CCT& 2012 Hardball ,after 20,000 miles on both bikes no problems.

9. navycraig

navycraig Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Crossroads LE #258

Yep. Very happy with them. They don't take out 100% of the slop, but they do help a lot. I only did the shifter side as I never found the brake side to be as bad.

10. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

The nylon bushings are the right choice and a better long wear item then the overpriced brass bushings. I bought the brass bushings and they did not change anything, I have the same amount of slop with the brass bushings as I had with the factory nylon bushings.
    You will have to lube the brass shifter bushing or it will start to make a squeaking noise. I am going back to the nylon bushing, no squeaking and need to lube it like the brass bushing and the cost way cheaper for the nylon bushing.
    There was a reason Victory chose nylon over brass. Nylon is very tough and is the better choice for this application over the cheap brass bushings being sold for 29.99 plus shipping.
    Here is a source for the nylon bushings the first link is for the brake pedal:
    http://victoryparts.net/cross-country-parts/
    Cost of the brak pedal nylon bushing 2.79 each or 5.58 for two.
    The part number is different than the shifter bushing so there is something different between the two bushings.
    The second link is for the shifter:
    http://victoryparts.net/cross-country-parts/
    Cost of the shifter nylon bushing 4.67 each or 9.62 for two.
    The stock nylon bushings Iremoved had 12,000 miles on them and showed no wear, the witch doctor brass bushings thatdid nothing to eliminate the slop have 13,000 miles on them and the shifter bushing is worn and in need of replacement. I have the Victory heal shifter on my bike by the way.
    If you want to remove most of the slop a better approach would be to install some thin washer like shims as it is the side to side play that you want to take out. Just remember not to make it tight as the shift lever needs a little bit of play so it does not hang up while shifting.
    There is no reason to turn up your nose at the use of nylon for these bushings thinking that brass is a superior replacement when the fact is nylon will out perform the brass bushings in this application.
    Do yourself a favor and just shim the factory nylon shifter bushing and you will more than likely only have to change out that bushing once in the life of the bike. Change over to the brass bushing and you will still have the slop and you will be changing out the brass bushings as well as lubing them multiple times during the life of the bike.
    Like I said in my case the shifter has the same amount of slop with the high priced brass bushings as it did with the factory nylon bushings. I would have been better off just walking outside of my garage and taking 30 dollars and tossing into the wind as I would have gotten the same result which is my wallet is 30 dollars lighter and my Victorys shifter still has the same amount of slop only I now have to maintain it more due to the brass bushing squeaking on the shifter bolt.

11. navycraig

navycraig Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Crossroads LE #258

Your experience is not typical. As a matter of fact, you are the first person I have seen say that the WD bushings did not correct the slop. They sure worked for me and a LOT of other people. Maybe it did not work for you because you have a heel shifter and there is something slightly different between that and stock. At any rate, others are not sharing your view on this.

12. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

None

Concur.
    While my Vision is too old for the WD shifter bushing to work (odd shaft shape), the brake side worked exactly as advertised.
    Truth be told Kyle sanded it down a bit last year to make it smooth because I apparently cannot follow directions well. Maybe that will go away when I turn 60???
    Checked it yesterday while working on shifter internals and it is fine.
    Kg
    BTW, slop in that shifter tranlatse to axial play on the internal assembly and can cause trouble later:

13. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Sorry but the victory brand heel shifter bolts onto the stock shifter so nothing changed in the area of the bushing. Everyone see's nylon and immediately thinks it is junk, and then they see brass bushing and they think oh that has to be high quality. Nothing could be farther from the truth in this case. First off the shifter is not a high stress part where it rocks back and forth on the bolt. Second nylon has excellent self lubricating properties where as depending on the type of brass used depends on how good it can self lubricate. In the case of these brass bushings there is not enough brass material for them to be effective at self lubricating. There is just not enough material for it to soak up lubricate to be effective at self lubrication.
    I can use $40.00 dollars for a lotbetter things than a set of $4 dollar brass bushings that I am being charged $29.99 plus $10.00 dollars shipping for only to have the same amount of slop in the shifter that I started with.
    @ KeithGrey
    Having to sand down the brake bolt is a pretty poor solution, clearly the only thing Witch Doctor did was find a set of brass bushings that were close to the specs of the bolts and started selling them for $29.99 plus shipping. The reality is he is getting about a 750% mark up on these brass bushings that might require you to have to sand down your foot brake lever bolt and in my case did nothing to remove any of the slop from the shifter. In my case even the foot brake had the same amount of slop in it with the brass bushings that it did with the factory nylon bushings. I did not have to sand down the bolt on the brake pedal by the way.
    So in my case I spent $40.00 dollars with shipping for a product that Witch Doctors advertises as removing the play/slop from both the shifter and the foot brake only to find upon installing them I had the exact same amount of slop only now I have to deal with a shifter bushing that will squeak if not lubed regulary. Oh and is already worn in only 13,000 miles when the factory nylon bushings I removed had 12,000 miles on them and showed no wear and never squeaked due to lack of lubrication.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

None

Sorry, maybe your Vision is different than mine, but there was no "Nylon" bushing in mine.
    OR, maybe you know everything,,,,,except how to afford a small inexpensive part without sniveling about it. Now, that last rant of yours is easily a 750% mark up in complaining about little inconsequential things.
    Not sure why you cant stand it that others disagree with your assesment, but I doubt you are going to warn anyone away from one of our best suppliers with your bellyaching.
    Not sure what Jon did to you, but he has made a ton of fairly discerning folks on Vision happy.
    Sorry Jon, you just cant please some folks.
    Kg

15. robinsonbk

robinsonbk New Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    I purchased the Witch Doctor's brass bushings for my 2011 XC and they di not fit properly. The were tough getting in (had to be filed a little) and once installed they were too tight. There was NOT enough free movement for the lever to spring back in position. Removed and reinstalled the original ones... Prior to purchase I did read on a review or blog where someone stated that they had to file them down a little... At any rate it was a waste of $37.99 for me...