VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** I hope this thread will stick to projects and not politics or why we're in the situation we're in. There are other threads for that ***

Well now that Illinois has joined other states as "shelter in home" I started thinking of bike projects I've been meaning to get to or have put off until 2021. I have at least two.

Last year one of my saddlebags leather split on my '04 Kingpin. To get them recovered would cost about as much as buying a new set of bags and I'm just not ready to drop that kind of cash. So, in January I pulled the leather off myself and found they might be okay if I cleaned them up and tried some spray paint. We'll see how it goes. I'm working on that today. Fortunately I can heat my garage with a torpedo heater.

The second one will take a bit more time. After reading a past thread about swing arm bearings I picked up what I needed but decided to hold off when we started to get breaks in the weather. In January I did the head bearings, fork oil & seals, took out the throttle body adapter but it actually looked good, so I just cleaned the body well, added Denali D2 lights on the forks, and swapped out my [email protected] OEM 16 year old high bean bulb with an Cyron Elite LED. After all that I thought that was enough but it looks like I'll have a little more time on my hands at home.

What I will probably get to after the saddlebags is polish up my wheels well. They look 16 years old. But if I take my rear wheel off do I just dive in and get the bearings ...

:twist1:

Anyone else got plans?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I broke my shoulder and my wrist about two months ago so unfortunately I've been sheltering in place early LOL. This is the first winter I've owned my cross country and I put saddlebag speakers in, 21 in Magnum front wheel, matching Magnum rear wheel, full audio upgrade front and rear including pioneer stereo and a hydraulic clutch kit. Plus a bunch of accessories like the lights and the sabre tail lights. as soon as I can move correctly I'll be finishing it all up in the next month or two

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
It's a great time to ride. On my 45 mile commute to work my average mph is up by 15mph. Ive put 5500 miles (winter ha) on the vision since 12/18.

If they start closing gas stations I'll take gas with me just in case.

We still have work at the shop but it's slow and parts may start to dry up with manufacturing closing down.

I have some 2" pullback bars that have been hanging around since 4/17. Maybe I'll put them on one day soon? Think I'll send @NOEMTZ a text about getting some parts and a couple remote tunes.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In between coats on the bags I went for a refreshing ride on a balmy 35 degree midwestern day . Yup, not much traffic out there.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Put the trunk back on today. Prepping for some stereo upgrades. Already bought the amp and upgraded speakers in the trunk, now just need to get the fronts and hook it all up.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Weather sucks snow coming in not much but temps are cold. Can’t go anywhere most places are closed Time to turn heat on in the garage put one of the bikes on the lift and start the deep cleaning and polishing routine I do every year. Crank up the tunes and get busy !

·
Registered
54 Posts
He hasn't yet but i feel it coming
Spokane has tons of country roads and not many cars so i have been out logging 90-110 mile ride 2 -3 times a week
but to answer the OP's question I am restoring a 1969 MGB and i have land.
All that keeps me busy

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, project one is "done". The saddlebags are painted and put back together.

If you stand the designated 6 feet away they look decent. Get too close and they look like someone roughed them up and spray painted them.

They'll be functional for now until I can replace them.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
55 Posts
have you thought about some spray on truck bed liner? Might just give it a good look.

Welp, project one is "done". The saddlebags are painted and put back together.

If you stand the designated 6 feet away they look decent. Get too close and they look like someone roughed them up and spray painted them.

They'll be functional for now until I can replace them.

View attachment 542029

Reactions: walks35

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you thought about some spray on truck bed liner? Might just give it a good look.
Actually, I have some rubber undercoat spray I used under the tins. Good idea!

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I kinda like the stock bags on the Kingpin, other than how small they are inside. I think they look really good on the bike, and I really like the faux leather cover on mine, although I've managed to get a tear on both the trunk and the right saddlebag (drunk chick sitting on the bike.. don't ask). That being said, I think the idea o the bed liner sprayed on might be a good one, aside from the possible issue with it chipping or cracking. If you do decide to do that make sure to post up here!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Great idea for a thread!
I’m waiting for word on my taxes. That will determine how much I can afford to do while social distancing. I did order another fire stick for the downstairs TV.
Does that count?

Reactions: walks35

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I kinda like the stock bags on the Kingpin, other than how small they are inside. I think they look really good on the bike, and I really like the faux leather cover on mine, although I've managed to get a tear on both the trunk and the right saddlebag (drunk chick sitting on the bike.. don't ask). That being said, I think the idea o the bed liner sprayed on might be a good one, aside from the possible issue with it chipping or cracking. If you do decide to do that make sure to post up here!
I was quoted about $500 for getting them recovered but the lady that would've done the work moved to Arizona. She did most custom leather work for Woodstock Harley and I'm sure the quality she put into it would have been worth the money. I've seen some of her work and it's awesome. I may have to send my bags to her over next winter.

But for now a $15 investment is worth a try as well and yeah I am concerned of wear. If it gets me through the year I'll be happy. I'm going to start spraying tonight once I get my garage warmed up enough. I'm also thinking the undercoat spray will take away from some other blemishes.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I brought my bike in to the shop to get an oil change.....then we got the shelter in place order.....I have an empty garage. :(
GAHHH!!!! A bike shop should be listed as an essential service!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.