VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to the point where I can barely stand to open my news feed because I know there will be a new claim. I am old enough to remember it being said that if Clarence Thomas looked like Denzel Washington we would have never heard the words sexual harassment. This latest one about GH Bush really chaps my hide. I mean cut the old guy a huss. If this claim is true he is clearly in a state where he does not have complete control of his actions. Having been a dedicated public servant and sleeping with someone that could have posed for the picture on the dollar bill all those years; does he not deserve some latitude? Don't we all have an older family member that you have to be careful around?
While I don't think anyone should feel threatened, all this Weinstein crap is getting old. The casting couch has been a thing since there have been entertainment. Because some people will do anything to show themselves off and others will take advantage of that. If this wasn't true there wouldn't be a Jerry Springer show. Social media is compounding this look at me, LOOK AT ME oh please look at me syndrome.
The times are changing with all of the access to media we have. Not all of these changes are good for us in my opinion. Have never harassed anyone, but have always been a flirt everywhere I go including work. Never had any problems because of that but I do recall at one office I worked in, a couple of the girls were at each throats constantly because of the perception that I had flirted with one more than the other. But I was pretty studly a long time ago. You know the good ole days.
I think most of these claims are leading to a money grab, not being made to be brave and affect change and am wondering how others see this issue.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Just more entertainment for the masses.
Have been re-reading some of Mark Twains essays & each one is relevant to today's world.
They should be required reading & turned into plays & movies altho many of them would be "racist" by todays standards.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I was a bartender at a country western bar...waitresses sexually harassed me and best I could do was a different one 6 days of the week...going to call lawyer and sue the 7th for saying NO :badgrin:

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I've been reading the accounts of some of the Weinstein accusers and it makes me mad. He is a POS.. no doubt about it.. but in most of the cases the women said 'but I knew that if I didn't let him grope me/if I didn't give him a rubdown/if I told on him I knew I wouldn't get the part'. And in almost every case, the ones that went along with it profited from it. Some went on to be VERY big stars and make LOTS of money. In every single case.. my mind was like 'why didn't they pick up the hotel phone and call the police.. why didn't they yell, or fight back, or tell ANYONE? Because they wanted the brass ring. In every single one of those cases, the accusers aren't victims, they are prostitutes. My wife doesn't follow newsfeeds and isn't up on a lot of the current wave of sexual harassment accusations.. when I explained to her what these actresses were saying that's what SHE said.. her comment was 'Can you imagine if someone did that to me? Do you think I would just put up with it or not say something to you?"

Again, I'm not trying to cover for Weinstein, he's a pathetic excuse for a man.. but as far as I can tell he's just a very unique john paying some very exclusive hookers.

As for the Bush accuser.. someone should train her what assault actually is. She said he inappropriately touched her while in his wheelchair.. hell, he probably brushed her leg by accident. Please tell me how she thinks that she was sexually assaulted by a man like G H Bush while Barbara was standing right there? What a load of horse****.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think there are levels of "harassment" that are getting lumped together. Weinstein is at the top level and poster boy for what harassment means. George HW Bush is probably dealing with dementia and lost some level of self-control. My wife and one of my daughters have worked as nurses in nursing homes and that type of behavior isn't uncommon. For the media to cry "sexual harassment" with respect to Bush is ridiculous and minimizes the issue to something trivial.

No woman should have to deal with what Weinstein put these women through or be threaten that their job or career will be going no where if they don't satisfy the sexual cravings of their boss. No women or man should be treated crudely, physically or verbally, regarding their appearance. I don't drool when I see a beautiful woman but I do recognize the beauty and sexuality (old but not dead) and some women highlight their sexuality. What man hasn't been challenged to look a women in the eyes rather than glance at her partially exposed breast in a low cut dress or blouse. Is a glance o.k. but a 3 second look harassment?

Reactions: norman

·
Registered
876 Posts
Exactly ! Just what is sexual harassment ? and what is the difference between sexual harassment & a flirtatious pass ? IMO it is just to broad an accusation , subject only to the one making the claim, and comes with no proof. Therefor e, again IMO it is 'baseless' claim.

These women that were up & coming "stars" that @ the time were willing to do ?? and did , to further their careers , then years later cry foul.....That is prostitution pure @ simple . He [big time movie mogul] had something they wanted [say a part / lead in a movie] he said well for a roll-in-hay...it's yours. She agrees, becomes a star, then ten years , & tens of millions $$ later,....she again cries foul...I say bull****! She could have said no back then, and tried to truly make it on her talent, instead of her back or knees.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Exactly ! Just what is sexual harassment ? and what is the difference between sexual harassment & a flirtatious pass ? IMO it is just to broad an accusation , subject only to the one making the claim, and comes with no proof. Therefor e, again IMO it is 'baseless' claim.

These women that were up & coming "stars" that @ the time were willing to do ?? and did , to further their careers , then years later cry foul.....That is prostitution pure @ simple . He [big time movie mogul] had something they wanted [say a part / lead in a movie] he said well for a roll-in-hay...it's yours. She agrees, becomes a star, then ten years , & tens of millions $$ later,....she again cries foul...I say bull****! She could have said no back then, and tried to truly make it on her talent, instead of her back or knees.
Are there women that may have known Weinstein's history and went along with it to advance their career? Maybe. But I've heard some of the accounts of how the harassment went down and in some of those cases the woman seemed very believable, they were unaware of Weinstein's history, the sexual advance was uninvited but continued after the woman made it clear it was uninvited. Unfortunately, unless caught on tape or it can be substantiated by objective witnesses in many cases it comes down to he said, she said.

·
Registered
876 Posts
< the sexual advance was uninvited but continued after the woman made it clear it was uninvited.>

Then why not just walk away , and not seek his influence / help on anything else?

"Unfortunately, unless caught on tape or it can be substantiated by objective witnesses in many cases it comes down to he said, she said."

Again....exactly......and in the cases of several years later?....I don't even care.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
At my workplace, telling an off-colour joke with some sort of sexual plot or gag line is classified as sexual harassment. Even if twenty of the ladies laugh like hell or don't think there's anything wrong with it, if one person takes offence, there's a problem. As with women all over the world, their crazy, you can't figure them out, and you can't please them all. Hell, women don't even like working with women.

My thoughts on the Harvey W case is exactly like those of Kaitiff. As long as they were getting what they wanted everything was tolerable. While it may have been a problem for them they had their own ulterior motives and put up with it. Any of them could have stopped it immediately at the time but on a personal level they chose not to. There are even a few photos kicking around of these women with Harvey at later dates and they are certainly not avoiding him. Sorry, in most of these cases I have no sympathy. Facts coming out now indicate just about the whole profession knew about him for years so it was no surprise to any of them. They knowingly expected it. And yes, he's a slimebag.

But truth be told if I was in his position and an unmarried Selman Hayek wanted one of the obscenely lucrative jobs I had available I might be trying for a date. Or marriage.

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have been retired since 2000...Back when I was working @ around 92-93 a female in the office, of a temporary assignment said to me once...."don't you ever flirt" ? I simply said, not at work , no. I was at the copier, she walked over and asked why? I said because , if it goes badly...then i have a problem at work that i do not want.

I got a promotion & new assignment....problem solved. BTW...she was married & way too young anyway. I heard later that she was a trouble maker as well ??.....So this was 20+ years ago, and an issue even then.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
My dad told me a long time ago never to fish off the company pier...I disregarded his advice ONCE.. I was on a temp duty assignment after coming out of the hospital while I was in the navy... woman from another ship was in the same detail and I took her out ONE TIME... didn't go well and she caused me more havoc and issues with the chief... never again. I pity young guys today trying to date or meet women.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
My dad told me a long time ago never to fish off the company pier...I disregarded his advice ONCE.. I was on a temp duty assignment after coming out of the hospital while I was in the navy... woman from another ship was in the same detail and I took her out ONE TIME... didn't go well and she caused me more havoc and issues with the chief... never again. I pity young guys today trying to date or meet women.
And if married, never go out with a girl in same town you Poop :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.