VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 62,000 original miles my 2012 Cross Country sprung a leak. I was on a ride and stopped in for lunch at a bar when I came out there was a big puddle of oil under my bike. I had flashbacks to my old Dyna. Checked the oil and I was down a quart luckily I wasn't too far from a Checker auto parts store so I bought a quart a raced back home to the shop. Turns out I have a leak from the Shift Shaft seal and primary cover.
I have read on here others who have had leaks from the shift shaft seal so it may be something to watch out for after you hit 50K miles also I live in the desert southwest where the heat kills all gaskets and batteries. I am very thankful this happened 150 miles from home base on a day trip and not on a long ride.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Mine came all the way out 1000+ miles from home, pushed it in and rode home with no leaks. I replaced it and put the old one between the shift
lever and the new seal so it won't ever come out again.

Pouring oil 1000+ miles from home at a gas station along an interstate is a **** feeling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the same problem last year on a ride through the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I came out of the hotel and there was a huge puddle under my '12 CR. The nearest dealer was over 100 miles away. I called and they had a shaft seal. We had no choice but to pack up, head West, and hope for the best.

When I'd stop for a light I'd look down and see drip - drip - drip. Unnerving.

Got it fixed, bought a Victory riding jacket and continued our trip. I now have a spare seal in my toolbox.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
This reminds of a joke that was hatched at an old workplace of mine. We had a "Harleyhead" employee; you know, there's no other bike except a Harley. One day he rode his "hog" to work and during the day someone, who shall remain anonymous, took a cup of oil and emptied it beneath his pride and joy. After his shift was over, he walked out to the parking lot and saw the oil puddle. Ape sh1t doesn't describe how he reacted. After he figured it out, he went to HR to complain and wanted them to investigate the incident, going to the extent of him viewing parking lot video to see if he could determine who all could have done it.

No determination was ever made. He even demanded that the plant manager give him a "public apology" ; that didn't happen. A memo was issued denouncing horseplay in the work place.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This reminds of a joke that was hatched at an old workplace of mine. We had a "Harleyhead" employee; you know, there's no other bike except a Harley. One day he rode his "hog" to work and during the day someone, who shall remain anonymous, took a cup of oil and emptied it beneath his pride and joy. After his shift was over, he walked out to the parking lot and saw the oil puddle. Ape sh1t doesn't describe how he reacted. After he figured it out, he went to HR to complain and wanted them to investigate the incident, going to the extent of him viewing parking lot video to see if he could determine who all could have done it.

No determination was ever made. He even demanded that the plant manager give him a "public apology" ; that didn't happen. A memo was issued denouncing horseplay in the work place.
Goodness, people are just too sensative...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Did similar to a diehard harley rider at work myself. Except I took a lid from a case of copy paper. Flipped the lid over acting as a tray. Filled it 1/2 way with oil dry. And slid it under the bike. He came out screaming at a guy he "thought" did it. It was too funny. To this day he thinks it was the innocent guy that he yelled at

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I had the same problem last year on a ride through the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I came out of the hotel and there was a huge puddle under my '12 CR. The nearest dealer was over 100 miles away. I called and they had a shaft seal. We had no choice but to pack up, head West, and hope for the best.

When I'd stop for a light I'd look down and see drip - drip - drip. Unnerving.

Got it fixed, bought a Victory riding jacket and continued our trip. I now have a spare seal in my toolbox.
Are these shifter seals able to install without removing the case? From the outside?

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Reactions: VictoryDan

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes they just slide out off the shaft.
Thank you. That's a good idea to keep one on hand for out of town riding. I will be picking one of these up and keeping it in my saddle bag!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on my severe oil leak, the gasket the shop ordered from Victory was faulty so they needed to order another one. I hope this isn't a sign of the quality of OEM parts coming from Victory. I know there are several aftermarket vendors I can use but the shop won't warranty the work if I give them an aftermarket part to install.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had this problem about 3 years ago. The seal had popped loose some. I bought a couple new ones but once I got it home and saw the problem I pressed the seal back in with a socket and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For those that had the seal pop out. Ever figure out why this this happens? Is it possible the needle bearing failing and pushing on the seal? My seal popped out today and got all over my rear wheel, brake,caliper, side stand, and entire left muffler. This is dangerous
View attachment 525709
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Design defect, when I installed my new one I put the old one back on between the new seal and the shift lever, it'll never pop out again.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
It's also dangerous keeping those stock plastic casters on the HF motorcycle dolly, but on a more serious note, this has not happened to me but I keep an eye out on it just in case and hope I'll be able to make the proper repairs when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Design defect, when I installed my new one I put the old one back on between the new seal and the shift lever, it'll never pop out again.
I'm not sure if I want to be pulling the shifter mechanism away from the shifter ratchet. I have read some guys putting a copper crush washer behind the case cover to keep closer to the shifter ratchet. I might do that, then stack the old seal on the outside to be safe. I'm going to think about it for a couple of days then figure out what's best.

My original thought was the needle bearing pushing the seal out? I was wondering what or why it popped out. There's 47,000 on this seal

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Check your crankcase ventilation system. I'd bet good money that the problem is there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.