VOG Forum banner

SERIOUSLY..... YOUR NOT THAT COOL !

13K views 159 replies 37 participants last post by  Bikesofbrads 
#1 ·
So I pull in too Target to grab some cash from the cash machine. I’m on my indian. I back into a spot and directly across from me is a white Streetglide you know the everyday Harley everyone’s rolling now. As I’m taking off my gloves the owner & his wife girlfriend whatever come walking up to it 35 yrs old at best. So I look their way to nod an acknowledgment of like hey what’s up. He totally ignores me won’t even look in my direction LOL I think ok that’s fine. I go in grab some cash come back out and their still getting ready. slip their Harley vests over their jackets gloves so on. I purposely walk right into their parking space past them looking at them to possibly give the acknowledgment of hey we both ride what’s up LOL nothing wouldn’t even look at me. So me being me stopped and said HEY WOULD YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ME IF I WAS ON MY HARLEY ? I shook my head got on my bike thinking Jesus I’ve been doing this $hit longer then you’ve been around boy. I wanted to slap him and say your the reason people look at Harley riders like they do ! Your really not all that cool believe me !

#3 ·
I hear ya. Its why I'm here.....couldn't for the life of me spend $10k on a 1999 Fatboy with marginal performance and 30k miles on the clock. My friends have Harleys, but I chose not to. We still all ride together, and don't discriminate unless it's a Spyder or worse yet, a Slingshot. We're all on two wheels struggling against the 'cagers', so its a kinship, and you wave or nod. Different times....

Sometime feel like I should be yelling at the kids to "Stay off my lawn". I suspect that's whats next, now that I yell at the TV.

#5 ·
So I pull in too Target to grab some cash from the cash machine. I'm on my indian. I back into a spot and directly across from me is a white Streetglide you know the everyday Harley everyone's rolling now. As I'm taking off my gloves the owner & his wife girlfriend whatever come walking up to it 35 yrs old at best. So I look their way to nod an acknowledgment of like hey what's up. He totally ignores me won't even look in my direction LOL I think ok that's fine. I go in grab some cash come back out and their still getting ready. slip their Harley vests over their jackets gloves so on. I purposely walk right into their parking space past them looking at them to possibly give the acknowledgment of hey we both ride what's up LOL nothing wouldn't even look at me. So me being me stopped and said HEY WOULD YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ME IF I WAS ON MY HARLEY ? I shook my head got on my bike thinking Jesus I've been doing this $hit longer then you've been around boy. I wanted to slap him and say your the reason people look at Harley riders like they do ! Your really not all that cool believe me !
I've ran into a few of those jerkoffs before.

#8 ·
So I pull in too Target to grab some cash from the cash machine. I'm on my indian. I back into a spot and directly across from me is a white Streetglide you know the everyday Harley everyone's rolling now. As I'm taking off my gloves the owner & his wife girlfriend whatever come walking up to it 35 yrs old at best. So I look their way to nod an acknowledgment of like hey what's up. He totally ignores me won't even look in my direction LOL I think ok that's fine. I go in grab some cash come back out and their still getting ready. slip their Harley vests over their jackets gloves so on. I purposely walk right into their parking space past them looking at them to possibly give the acknowledgment of hey we both ride what's up LOL nothing wouldn't even look at me. So me being me stopped and said HEY WOULD YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ME IF I WAS ON MY HARLEY ? I shook my head got on my bike thinking Jesus I've been doing this $hit longer then you've been around boy. I wanted to slap him and say your the reason people look at Harley riders like they do ! Your really not all that cool believe me !
I feel you Mike. Anymore I don't even acknowledge. I wait for them to acknowledge first. Especially the younger look at me crowd. Don't care what they ride. If they do then I'm friendly. If not then I didn't waste a fukin moment worrying about it.

#10 ·
I just moved back to pinellas county, Madeira beach. This is how all Harley riders are here. Its so funny!!! when they see me coming, their heads snap to the left or right so fast and they refuse to look at me!!! They will ride with their heads sideways down the road if they are next to me. Pathetic babies they are. I just laugh as i pull away. I will say, its not just Harleys doing it. I got snubbed by a Can Am the other day as well! A feckin Can Am!!!

#11 ·
Speaking of the cool factor. I remember taking part in a charity ride a few years back. I was actually on my Dad's Victory XC, because I was home visiting in my cage for whatever reason. I'm always looked down upon by "Harley Weekend Warriors" while on the Vic. Anyhow as we are all waiting to take off on the group ride one of these HWWs nearly drops his low mileage pretty street glide while trying to get it off the kickstand. The woman he had on the back ended up keeping his bike from falling. Me and two old timers that I had just meet that day busted out laughing and avoid that motorcycle for the rest of the day (I think he actually did drop it another stop). The old timers didn't care what brand of motorcycle I had; hell one of them said he is tempted to steal the Vic. These HWWs are a walking a joke; from how they dress to how they talk.

#12 ·
Well I guess we can all say we have seen non riders on just about all brands but nothing like we see on HD. No wonder the HD die hards have such attitudes. It’s like the posers are invading their life style. Hell I’ve seen HD riders treat posers with dis respect because they felt they should be on Honda’s. Well everyone wants a HD man ….. c’mon now gitch ya one.

Reactions: jwfuchs1
#13 ·
Hmm, really have seen that and I know I told this story before, but it was a good one. Back when I used to go Starbucks, I met up with another Vic rider (former HD rider too).

While enjoying our coffees a HD Rider parks next to the Vics and the Bike was a beauty, being a custom to boot. A Gentleman and his Lady walk up and complimented the Victory’s while starting in the door. The HD Rider now sitting with us, pipes up “What about my Bike?”

Without missing a beat the Gentleman responded, “Harleys are ****, I have owned two and both were POS…”.

I damn near blew my coffee out my nose. I smiled at the HD Rider and “Well, you asked for it..”

#25 ·
Yeah but it's a Harley.
Just for a change of pace, I had a different experience last season.

I was riding in a charity ride and at one point, we stopped for a short time and a couple riding a late model Harley, pulled up along side me and the gentleman asked me, "What kind of bike is that", so I told him, (I ride a 2010 Cross Roads), and he replied, "Boy, that thing is beautiful". That made me feel good.

Another ride I was on, we were still in the parking lot getting ready to leave and a gentleman walked up to me and said, "Boy that is a beautiful bike, I can't keep my eyes off of it. So there are some people who appreciate our Victorys.

#16 ·
All this reminds me of this story I told long ago and ended up with one guy feeling I needed to give him roadside riding lessons or something.

"So here is the scene. I'm filling up my truck at the gas station while a couple on a motorcycle is grabbing some drinks inside. It appeared to be a very nice new bike with every chrome piece available slapped on, it was really customized. Neither one had any gear, not even a helmet. They mount up and start to pullout just before me after stalling it a few times in the lot. He slides his feet all the way through the parking lot and about 20 yards down the street to the stop sign.
Im now behind him at the stop sign and we are both going to make a left turn. We are turning onto a street that has three lanes going east and three lanes going west with a median that is two lanes wide, so we have 8 lanes of space available. He slowly pulls out with his left leg still sliding on the ground. He stops in the median area and then pulls into the middle lane going east. I pull out behind him and seeing how he is riding and figuring he is new I am going super slow in the left hand lane to let him have his space. He slowly drives to the next break in the medium and starts to creep into a left turn from the middle lane. He turns from that middle lane through the median and into the west bound lanes ending up again in the middle lane. He took six lanes to complete a U-TURN!!! From what I saw it appeared he could not make the right turn at the stop sign so he went the other direction to make the huge uturn to head the direction he really wanted to travel.
It floored me. I know we all started new at some point but to be out on the streets riding two up when you can not make a simple right turn is just irresponsible.I just don't get what he was thinking. Certainly he is going to end up on a road without the amount of room he needs to turn so what does he do then? A three point turn? In traffic? Then he adds his girl into the mix. I just really couldnt believe it. Lucky for him I'm a rider and was able to read him pretty well. If I had been driving in a regular fashion or a person with no motorcycle experience was behind him I'm not so sure it would have gone so well.
At what point do you have to be honest with yourself and fess up that you need a class or at least a buddy in a parking lot to get some of the basics? I have seen some pretty bad riders but this was by far the most unsafe rider I have ever seen. I hope they made it home safe."

From this thread, 6 Lane U-Turn!!!

If you go to the old thread in the quotes you will see a KingpinBulldog. That is me before a change in the VOG.

#18 · (Edited)
All this reminds me of this story I told long ago and ended up with one guy feeling I needed to give him roadside riding lessons or something.

"So here is the scene. I'm filling up my truck at the gas station while a couple on a motorcycle is grabbing some drinks inside. It appeared to be a very nice new bike with every chrome piece available slapped on, it was really customized. Neither one had any gear, not even a helmet. They mount up and start to pullout just before me after stalling it a few times in the lot. He slides his feet all the way through the parking lot and about 20 yards down the street to the stop sign.
Im now behind him at the stop sign and we are both going to make a left turn. We are turning onto a street that has three lanes going east and three lanes going west with a median that is two lanes wide, so we have 8 lanes of space available. He slowly pulls out with his left leg still sliding on the ground. He stops in the median area and then pulls into the middle lane going east. I pull out behind him and seeing how he is riding and figuring he is new I am going super slow in the left hand lane to let him have his space. He slowly drives to the next break in the medium and starts to creep into a left turn from the middle lane. He turns from that middle lane through the median and into the west bound lanes ending up again in the middle lane. He took six lanes to complete a U-TURN!!! From what I saw it appeared he could not make the right turn at the stop sign so he went the other direction to make the huge uturn to head the direction he really wanted to travel.
It floored me. I know we all started new at some point but to be out on the streets riding two up when you can not make a simple right turn is just irresponsible.I just don't get what he was thinking. Certainly he is going to end up on a road without the amount of room he needs to turn so what does he do then? A three point turn? In traffic? Then he adds his girl into the mix. I just really couldnt believe it. Lucky for him I'm a rider and was able to read him pretty well. If I had been driving in a regular fashion or a person with no motorcycle experience was behind him I'm not so sure it would have gone so well.
At what point do you have to be honest with yourself and fess up that you need a class or at least a buddy in a parking lot to get some of the basics? I have seen some pretty bad riders but this was by far the most unsafe rider I have ever seen. I hope they made it home safe."

From this thread, 6 Lane U-Turn!!!

If you go to the old thread in the quotes you will see a KingpinBulldog. That is me before a change in the VOG.
I haven't seen it often, but enough to wonder why someone thinks they can jump on a 900 pound motorcycle at 50 yoa and think it is a wise move. Now many on this Site do what can be seen as risky and/or challenging activities, but we started a ways back and managed to survive enough to get efficient with the activity.

That is alot of Bike to jump on after a few lessons on one half the weight and power. Sure I did it at 16 yoa, but I had been riding for over three years by then and still scared the crap out of myself a couple times. Very few can start out with that much Bike and not have a bad experience or two... Riding two up has never been an issue unless I haven't briefed the passenger correctly. Or she isn't holding on tight enough that I can feel the warmth of her...

Wrong thread for that thought

#20 ·
The road king was always known as the easiest HD to ride. I’ve seen motor cops do a U turn on 1 lane roads to pursue a speeder going the other way and do that U turn extremely quick in a slide out type fashion. I was amazed and glad I was behind that motor cop when he did it. Giving him the space he needed. That showed me two things. Motorcycle training for motor cops teaches amazing skills and Harley RKings are very capable bikes in the handling dept. I’ve ridden a few R Kings and thought the same but the Indian Springfield to me is a better ride.

#21 ·
To get acknowledged, you must text or contact these type of people via social media.
They cannot function in the real world and have no idea how to process what used to be a normal social interaction.

Been there.

You're SO cool, it's intimidating.

;)

#23 ·
I have run into this on facebook/marketplace, which is the only site I use on facebook, since craigslist has darn near become useless on items that interest me. I put my phone number into request for info. since it is the fastest way and you get a sense of who the sellers are with voice interaction. I have had a couple flat out refuse.

#24 ·
I love pulling up to any MC gathering on my Vics. You can tell who the posers are and who the real bikers / enthusiasts are. Real people want to talk to you. Ask questions, take interest and then give positive comments. Really in my area very few are snubbers /posers. What I love is the uniform they wear. Oh yeah you know the type. Their Women have Lots of sparkle. Shiny new boots. Harley labeling everywhere. Expensive blingful low mileage street glides. Usually what comes out of their mouths …… hey man …. Why didn’t you buy a Harley man ???? ….

#27 ·
I love pulling up to any MC gathering on my Vics. You can tell who the posers are and who the real bikers / enthusiasts are. Real people want to talk to you. Ask questions, take interest and then give positive comments. Really in my area very few are snubbers /posers. What I love is the uniform they wear. Oh yeah you know the type. Their Women have Lots of sparkle. Shiny new boots. Harley labeling everywhere. Expensive blingful low mileage street glides. Usually what comes out of their mouths …… hey man …. Why didn't you buy a Harley man ???? ….
While answering that question, I often see bewilderment that is proportionate to the length of time they have been riding. I see the doubt in the Newbie's face, once you start explaining the mechanics of engine and tranny and the decision based on reliability, power and I always end with "no makes a prettier motorcycle than a Harley though, I have owned two..."

That usually ends any further snobbery and I have to say most of the compliments are interest in a apparent Legend that they rarely encounter...
The Bike, not me of course. :angel4:

#37 · (Edited)
As far as giving a crap what other riders think of my victory it's like water off a ducks back, I know what my motorcycle is capable of, Beautiful quick and very nimble traversing through parking lots and other motorcycles is a breeze.
Ah yes the days before Covid when I used to pass the HDs with a smile... Now with social distancing I just blow the Bltch on the backseat HD halter up over her head as the Vic roars by...

No mask of course as it messes up the scenting of the burning oil prior to visual target acquisition...

Five minutes earlier:

#32 ·
I love it when someone I know has bought their 2nd or even third Harley and make excuses as to why …… lmao.

I say….. it’s ok there getting better and besides it’s what you like. Ride what you like.

Them …. I’m surprised you haven’t bought one yet. You’ve been riding that Victory what like 11 years now.

I say ….. don’t be surprised. I ride demos all the time both Indian and HD to compare and you see what I still ride.

Them….. yeah they ( victory) are good bikes.

#34 ·
I got a buddy that is all about Harley. However, to this date he will tell me how badass my Vic is. Talk about how it will out run/ride his road glide all day long. He has ridden my CC a few times and loves it but it ain't a Harley.

To each their own in my opinion. If you want to buy based off of name that's on you.

I was gonna buy a Yahama until I treat drove my first CC and couldn't live without it. To this date I haven't ridden another bike that would make change my mind. A vision might but haven't ridden one for that reason lol.

#68 ·
I was well, after the Test drive. Being it had only one mile on it when I tested it, I returned from the ride, bought it and had it shipped Home... Damn Salesman knew it, even after being warned I hadn't ridden in a decade. It was just the best handling Cruiser I had ever ridden to that date. Plus I was tired of all the Harley hype on a Bike that at the time looked to me, the same as the ones I rode in the 70's -80's...

Victory got HD to step up their game and they look much better now, But...

#38 ·
Your giving it too much thought man. They should receive as much attention from you as something you may have scraped off your shoe, especially after your first attempt to engage them. On the other hand maybe that's just me being me.

#43 ·
;)
On the Norm I never let them bother me. In fact when I'm on my Harleys and they decide oh he's ok I totally ignore them purposely LOL and I've been like that for years now. My sons caugh it years ago. Hey Pop what's the deal you'll Nod at everyone but Harley Riders ? I said yes because it pisses them off. But they won't acknowledge anyone but a Harley rider Fukem ;):D

#40 ·
Exactly. It’s a terrible way for people to live their lives on both ends of the rope.

here’s a story ……. Back in 89 I bought a 5.0 lx coupe mustang 5speed. It was fun and the best bang for the buck I’ve ever owned even to date. One night I was at an ATM. All alone until a guy around my age (30’s) pulled in driving a new corvette. While I was pulling some cash for my Saturday night festivities he stood back waiting and when I turned around he says to me ….. “ how’s it feel to drive a slo- stang ?
I kept my cool and just walked away thinking to my self how proud I was owning my first brand new car and it being that mustang. So I waited for him to come down to his car and I said “ hey ….. wanna find out how slow this stang is ? …… you may want to go back up there and get some more money out of that ATM. “
He declined the offer with some lame excuse that he was late to pick up his girl and I just laughed and said … “yep … thought so”. Leaving a nice little burn out as I exited the parking lot.

Fact was I probably couldn’t beat him but my 89 was what was called a factory freak. All stock on Goodyear gator backs it ran 13:80 in the 1/4 mile. Consistent 13:90 with a best of 13:80. The car was a quick made on Wednesday car. My 2 bosses at the time had 89 convertible corvettes that couldn’t get by me thus the reason I wasn’t afraid to take on the ASSHAT spoiled rich kid that felt the need to insult me and my car. Didn’t care if I would have lost. Just loved putting on my poker face and slinging some sh!t in his face and as I thought he was just a pussy.
Today I just ignore but I make sure that what I have that’s being insulted is worth defending and a Victory motorcycle is just that.

#41 · (Edited)
Exactly. It's a terrible way for people to live their lives on both ends of the rope.

here's a story ……. Back in 89 I bought a 5.0 lx coupe mustang 5speed. It was fun and the best bang for the buck I've ever owned even to date. One night I was at an ATM. All alone until a guy around my age (30's) pulled in driving a new corvette. While I was pulling some cash for my Saturday night festivities he stood back waiting and when I turned around he says to me ….. " how's it feel to drive a slo- stang ?
I kept my cool and just walked away thinking to my self how proud I was owning my first brand new car and it being that mustang. So I waited for him to come down to his car and I said " hey ….. wanna find out how slow this stang is ? …… you may want to go back up there and get some more money out of that ATM. "
He declined the offer with some lame excuse that he was late to pick up his girl and I just laughed and said … "yep … thought so". Leaving a nice little burn out as I exited the parking lot.

Fact was I probably couldn't beat him but my 89 was what was called a factory freak. All stock on Goodyear gator backs it ran 13:80 in the 1/4 mile. Consistent 13:90 with a best of 13:80. The car was a quick made on Wednesday car. My 2 bosses at the time had 89 convertible corvettes that couldn't get by me thus the reason I wasn't afraid to take on the ASSHAT spoiled rich kid that felt the need to insult me and my car. Didn't care if I would have lost. Just loved putting on my poker face and slinging some sh!t in his face and as I thought he was just a pussy.
Today I just ignore but I make sure that what I have that's being insulted is worth defending and a Victory motorcycle is just that.
Slicky, I have two Corvettes and one is a 87 C-4 and I can tell you right now that the Stang... Well, I also leased one of them in Black in the mid-80's Hot Wheel 5.0's GT with a five speed and that thing did ran like the wind and would or could do what you say. Even the Highway Patrol had a Fleet of them for pursuit. The Vette would have got you out of hole, but didn't produce many more ponies and was heavy.

Now the C-7 Z06, different story, but them Mustangs are still pumping out the ponies, so maybe not till the twisties... Even then, it will be a knife-fight and you right, he was a dick...

#44 ·
I still get plenty of people looking down their noses at me, regardless if I'm on my Vic Kingpin, GL1800 or my 2020 Spyder RT. I like them all. I ride the one I feel like riding. Mostly I'm just amused by it all. I even have a friend who has a Slingshot. I don't hold that against him. I'm reminded of what somebody once said on the Internet, "Aint nobody got time for that!"

#45 ·
I even have a friend who has a Slingshot. I don't hold that against him.
I wouldn't hold it against him either......as long as he doesn't think it is a motorcycle. I am sure they are fun to drive though I am not sure my back would enjoy it. From what I read from those that have ridden in them they are not much in the suspension department.

• Haha
Reactions: Flyboy
#47 ·
I don't really think of my Spyder as a motorcycle except the part about sitting on a saddle using motorcycle style handlebars. And the Federal Govt declaring it to be a motorcycle. If a person thinks of a Spyder as a motorcycle, they will most likely crash. No counter steering on a Spyder. You steer right (push and pull the bars) to go right. A different mindset. But I like it and my "real motorcycles". Reminds me of one of my favorite Navy toasts: "To ourselves, as no one else is likely to be concerned with our welfare."

#60 ·
My mom has a Spyder. I do have to say it's fun to drive. It's like driving a 4-wheeler. From what I understand they can handle the twisties pretty well but I scared myself going around a corner too fast (don't tell my mom lol). She loves driving it. She is not that great on two wheels hahaha.

When we were younger with dirt bikes she hopped on one and drove straight into the side of her own truck and broke her wrist. A few years later my Dad got her one of those fast mopeds that Yamaha makes and drove off into a ditch but no damage to her or the bike.

Now she has 3 wheels and I rode on the back with her drive after me having a few beers lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.