VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the lense off my daymaker headlight to install switchback leds inside. I bought a heat gun and watched sone youtube videos but ill be damned if I can get it apart. Not sure if they used butyl or permaseal on it. Any tips or advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes at first I used a tiny flat head screw driver and then a razor blade thinking it was just glued onto the surface but it turns out it has like a lip that is recessed down into a well and it looks like black sealant holding it down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What you could be experiencing is a Sonic welded unit. I'm retired from rapid prototyping industry. Instead of an adhesive Sonic welding is used to seal plastic parts together. Sonic welding is high frequency vibration that actually melts the plastic at the contact area and then cools and the plastic parts are fused together. If the head used to weld is working properly you will destroy the part trying to get it apart. Sonic welding is used because it is fast and no adhesive to dry as well as water tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am trying to get the lense off my daymaker headlight to install switchback leds inside. I bought a heat gun and watched sone youtube videos but ill be damned if I can get it apart. Not sure if they used butyl or permaseal on it. Any tips or advice?
Assuming it's not ultrasonically welded, apply the heat gun for a sufficient duration. A general tendency is to do too little. Some adhesives are malleable, others much less so (or darn near impossible without causing damage). Your light isn't going to be easy because of the large diameter. Even though you may have loosened the glue in a small section (your gun applies heat locally) when you move on to the next segment without mechanically dislodging part of the lense, it will cool off and adhere back. If you can live with breaking the light, I'd suggest using a knife or Dremel to help break the seal. In addition to using your heat gun or without. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Could be laser welded now too, I've worked on a few laser welding systems that do headlights and taillights. Supposedly better adhesion than sonic but that's probably subjective. May have to cut it apart and glue it back together in the end. Consider something like foam cutting wires, but may just melt it enough for it to reweld back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.