VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: My wife and I had a great ride (2013 Cross Country Tour) yesterday south on S.R. 135 down through southern Indiana. She is tired of trying to communicate with me through our fullface helmets. Any couples or groups use sena or cardo bluetooth systems, or similar ? Do they work well when you are in close quarters, like riding two-up ? Could we talk to each other, as well as others in our group ? Hard wired or wireless ? Going to do some reaserch, but I have always had good luck with this group when needing info.
Thank You,
Ride Safe,
Dan

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a Sena somewhere I only used it for MP3 music on my last bike before I added fairing.

I'm curious how they work for comms as I've never used that function.

Also, I'm in Indy south of you, if you see sunset red XCT out riding that might be me. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Forget wired coms, Bluetooth is where it's at.

I have had a couple systems I've used solo and two up.... Never linked to a group, but that is possible.

With full face helmets you should have great performance. I did in half and 3/4 helmets while my wife used a full. Actually sometimes her mic would pick up my speakers and give me an echo. I just had to turn down my speakers.

I do also have fulls I've used them with in colder weather and they're great. Honestly even with a half helmet most people I talk to on the phone didn't know I was on a motorcycle.

After getting them I realized my wife and I don't talk all that much on the bike but I still think they are nice to have. I was sold the day we stopped for gas and she went in to get us drinks. They didn't have what I wanted so she asked me over the coms what my next choice was.

Another system to check out is Uclear. That's my most recent system, I've had them for years now. They're boomless. The mics are either in the speakers or they are a wire that runs from the speaker under the helmet liner to spots just over you forehead or temple area. Often times in a full helmet the boom mic touches my face so being able to get rid of that was nice.

I do prefer the buttons on the Sena system over the Uclear. Especially in gloves. It's all give and take.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
We've had the Sena SMH10 system for years with the CCT and it works great. I'd buy it again without hesitation. I also run a Bell Mag 9 3/4 helmet because they (used to) have an indention specifically for the Sena SMH10. The same with my Bell DLX full face helmet. Both newer model Bell helmets no longer have the indentation for any communicator formed into the shell. I'll buy a NOS Bell Mag 9 as well as the DLX just to have a spare with the Sena SMH10 indention.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
SMH10 is what I have, but like the OP I'm curious how it works for talking. What distance can you get out of it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Gadget Output device Home appliance Font Material property

I previously had a Sena 20s, then upgraded to a Sena 50s. Love it. Better speaker quality sound, better Bluetooth comms distance, and way easier to Bluetooth connect with other riders. I chose the Sena 50s over the Sena 50s because of its glove-friendly jog-wheel vs little buttons.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I had Sena SMH10 when my wife was talking to me from inside the store. That's the farthest we ever used them but they were also several generations of Bluetooth old. Now days Bluetooth is much more impressive but even then I had no complaints.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have a UClear and it works well. Only paired with another rider one time and it was pretty good. He had a Sena and we were able to talk back and forth while riding in a group of 4 or 5 (no one else was paired, just the two of us).

all that to say, make sure whatever set you buy that it can pair with other brands if you are interested in chatting with a group. Some may have Cardo, Sena, UClear, etc.

i only chose the UClear because it was the best for music at the time I got it (approx 3 years ago) and I ride solo 99.9% of the time and only interested in good tunes piped into my helmet.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use semaphore for all my motorcycling communication needs.

• Haha
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I use semaphore for all my motorcycling communication needs.
I was today years old when I learned what semaphore is….thx quaz!
Now tell me how you hold the flags AND throttle, shift, brake?

Reactions: luckystryke

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello: My wife and I had a great ride (2013 Cross Country Tour) yesterday south on S.R. 135 down through southern Indiana. She is tired of trying to communicate with me through our fullface helmets. Any couples or groups use sena or cardo bluetooth systems, or similar ? Do they work well when you are in close quarters, like riding two-up ? Could we talk to each other, as well as others in our group ? Hard wired or wireless ? Going to do some reaserch, but I have always had good luck with this group when needing info.
Thank You,
Ride Safe,
Dan
Uclear and lexin both good inexpensive units.

P

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank You,
Ride Safe,
Dan
We have used the Sena Calvery half helmets for a few years now, never had an issue with them still use them now. We ride 2 up and they are perfect. We have tried different types over the years , boom Mike's are a pain, having an added unit outside the helmet is a pain, everything is integrated, mic speakers they are awesome

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was today years old when I learned what semaphore is….thx quaz!
Now tell me how you hold the flags AND throttle, shift, brake?

Brake? You mean the coward lever??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You,
Ride Safe,
Dan
I have a sena20. It is bluetooth and the intercom, Bluetooth to phone and radio work well. I have never used it to communicate to other riders..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Sena somewhere I only used it for MP3 music on my last bike before I added fairing.

I'm curious how they work for comms as I've never used that function.

Also, I'm in Indy south of you, if you see sunset red XCT out riding that might be me. :)
Thank You for the reply and info....it's gonna be learning game.

Yeah, may cya around some time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forget wired coms, Bluetooth is where it's at.

I have had a couple systems I've used solo and two up.... Never linked to a group, but that is possible.

With full face helmets you should have great performance. I did in half and 3/4 helmets while my wife used a full. Actually sometimes her mic would pick up my speakers and give me an echo. I just had to turn down my speakers.

I do also have fulls I've used them with in colder weather and they're great. Honestly even with a half helmet most people I talk to on the phone didn't know I was on a motorcycle.

After getting them I realized my wife and I don't talk all that much on the bike but I still think they are nice to have. I was sold the day we stopped for gas and she went in to get us drinks. They didn't have what I wanted so she asked me over the coms what my next choice was.

Another system to check out is Uclear. That's my most recent system, I've had them for years now. They're boomless. The mics are either in the speakers or they are a wire that runs from the speaker under the helmet liner to spots just over you forehead or temple area. Often times in a full helmet the boom mic touches my face so being able to get rid of that was nice.

I do prefer the buttons on the Sena system over the Uclear. Especially in gloves. It's all give and take.
Thank you, definately going bluetooth. Really like what I've read about Cardo, I will chk out the Uclear.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts