Security | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Security

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Bikesofbrads, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Just wondering what others use to deter others from sitting on ur bikes. I had an instance last summer at a “secure” hotels parking garage in Cincinnati where a broken beer bottles glass was all under my bike. Nothing was hurt or damaged but if we hadn’t seen it & cleaned up the glass we’d had a flat tire for sure. Like they intentionally put a large piece directly against the tire so would puncture if rolled. Am thinking about a rotor lock on front brake with a motion detector that’ll scream if bike is bumped or sat on, want a spiked, electrically charged seat cover but that may be too far haha. My biggest worry is some lil kid with a stupid as$ non attentive parent will climb on the bike & it’ll fall on them. Sadly is more people in the world that was never taught to respect others or their property. Insurance is my safety net but it can’t replace my bike. We do our very best to never leave it in sketchy places but a$$holes are everywhere & are multiplying

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tims_Shadow

Tims_Shadow Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    I work at a major hospital in downtown Nashville and park in the garage across the street from the Emergency Room. LOTS of pedestrian traffic walk past my bike daily when at work but there's only been a handful of times over the last decade that its been messed with. Its always been that someone had obviously sat on it and a couple of times have scuffed the saddlebags throwing their leg over. I've thought about a motion alarm but never pulled the trigger. This is the first bike I've ever had that did not come with a steering lock. I think that would help. Unfortunately, in today's society, there will always be a population of people that refuse to respect others let alone other people's belongings so I think parking in the safest places you can like you said is our best option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    The best thief deterrent is the Victory badge.

To keep the curious from sitting on your bike, a nice lightweight cover like this. 0310200824_HDR.jpg
    Should do the trick. I use it to keep my seat dry on rainy days. Smaller than a 1/2 helmet to store.

I only just started taking my key out of my bikes, only because I have some unicorn items.

Nothing will stop the pro. 2 pipes, 4 people, a van and any bike will vanish in 10 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    @Bikesofbrads yeah insurance is your best friend and no it won't replace it. I traveled a lot and rode as much as I could. Depending on where you're at some hotels will allow bikes to be parked under their front awning. When we vacation we insist on it. I know larger cities couldn't give a rip but if you frequent them as I did they might give you a loyalty break where you park.

One upside to our bikes being damaged is it's not cheap to get them fixed. My side bags got screwed up because some @sshole dropped his bike next to mine and split the leather. Insurance ended up paying out over a grand and I had zero out of pocket. I was shocked they paid that much out and was fortunate they did. Kinda how I got my Galfer Waves and other goodies.

As Richard Pryor once said, "An @sshole is an @sshole." I don't think you can stop stupid from doing stupid. Yeah I'd do a lock on the rotor or steering but that's not going to stop some punk screwing with your ride.

Good luck mister.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bikesofbrads

My 15xct does have a steering lock but I’m not a fan only because when it’s locked & an unknowingly dumb ass tries to stand it up they can’t catch the balance change ( esp if rolls a lil ) and they drop it. Rotor lock with bright yellow cord wrapped up & over a cover it is, along with lil signage sounds like the lightest, cheapest most effective solution. Thanks guys, we may all have stupid tendencies but are extremely smart collectively :beer3:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. walks35

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Well if they do tip it over, with any luck their leg will get trapped under your bike like a rat and then you can deal with them as you wish!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bikesofbrads

^^^^^^ Often catch myself day dreaming exactly that & then making fun before murdering the morality unworthy, my society has no room for those types. I H8 lazy’s, liars & thieves

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. walks35

2004 Victory Kingpin
    A little levity with those bastards ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    In all my years I’ve had 1 incident. Out to dinner and a guy took his son lifted him up snd sat him on the seat of my Electra Glide. Sitting at the bar waiting for a table I see this and think WTF you kidding me. My wife says hey easy I get up walk outside and stay calm which is not me. But his little boy is there and I don’t want to embarrass this guy. So I walk thru the door and say Excuse me take your son of my bike immediately please. He does and I say come here. He comes over and I say listen to me. Stupid move on your part. How about you pull up in your car and I tell my boy jump in ! #1 now #2 if I would have just shut that down your son would have fried his legs from the heat of the motor. #3 the only reason I don’t knock you on your ass is because your son is standing right there looking at us. That’s my bike not yours in the future ask the person who owns it. I’m almost positive he will accommodate you. My wife was so proud of me !

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I'd like to get into traveling and taking trips and people messing with my bike is for sure a concern when I'm on the road far from home...

Much as I would like to get into bike camping but for simplicity doing the motel thing is more likely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    WTF ...... it’s winter right ? ........ ok I understand.
    I can’t think of a single moment where I had to worry about someone sitting on my bike ..... more like worried about doors flying open and hitting the bike. People walking by and touching the bike. Worst of all ..... someone talking sheet about the bike !

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. skipbarberman

skipbarberman Active Member

Hammer
    I was at Loudon, NH at the A.M.A. Nationals in July of 1992. The hotel wouldn't let me bring my racebike in the room, so I slept with the sliding glass door opened, fully clothed, on top of the covers.....and I'm a very light sleeper. I heard them roll up with the engine off in a van at 2:30 am, and before I could get up, and go 40 feet to the bikes outside, 5 guys grabbed a new GSXR750R, put it in a van, and peeled out.....gone. I'm not sure the van was stopped for more than 10 seconds. From when the back of my head left the pillow, to them off the property was 25 seconds, tops.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. IndyVictory

I have had people touching my bikes.
    Not caught anyone sitting on it and I hope I never do.

Usually pretty respectful of bikes in this state from my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  14. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red

When I stop at hotels I use a low cost full cover. I think it's from cycle gear. My buddies don't cover theirs ever. So one night we were at a hotel. And there were guys in the lot drinking well into the night. We did peek out the window numerous of times. All 3 bikes were parked next to each other. Mine being the only one covered, we witnessed guys in the parking lot drinking. Well past our bed time. We did peek our many times and mine was a ghost. They were hanging around the other 2 even leaning against theirs. We didn't want to say anything because drunken guys in a parking lot at a hotel could turn into a mess. And they weren't damaging anything.

I can say from my own experience that covers can help.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. IndyVictory

Wrap one of these around the bike for anti-theft.

marking chain navy.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2