VOG Forum banner

Seat Mods??

3614 16
I sadly admit I'm not a candidate for the Iron Butt but I could use a more comfortable seat. I know with the 4" of foam it is supposed to be very comfy but even with the sheepskin it still is somewhat lacking. Has anyone made any mods to their seat or exchanged it for a Russell, etc? I've got the heated seat which I would not want to lose as I'll need it in the next couple of months.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll be watching this thread myself. My butt doesn't fit the stock seat very well and I've been wanting to do something different. A dealer in my area has a custom leather seat on one of their bikes which is noticeably harder than the stock, but that may not be a bad thing. I plan on seeing if he will let me trade seats for a weekend and put a few hundred miles on it. Downside would be I'd loose the heat. Pro side would be I could ride longer than two hours without having to stand on the boards and "rearrange the equipment".

·
Registered
868 Posts
I find the stock seat is as good as anything I sit on, which includes car seats, lounge seats and anywhere else I sit. It is a lot to expect of my ageing body to sit still for extended periods so I get up and exercise to keep comfortable. On my previous bike I tried sheepskin covers, airhawk seat pad and bicycle riders underpants, all which were not as good as the stock vision seat. Good luck in your search for comfort. i will also be watching this thread to see how you get on.
One person suggested I sit on a pair of rolled up socks which also did not work.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I know there is a guy out of Texas on here that has the Russel Day long saddle and he had given it a very good review and IMHO it looked good as well. hopefully he will see this thread and comment or maybe you can do a search on here for Russel day long and find the thread he posted in....he even had some pics of the seat on the bike. Pretty sure he kept the heated seat as well.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I actually think the stock seat is the best Vic ever had on any model. How about a back rest? Maybe take some pressure off the seat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link to buddy's thread on the Russell Day Long seat. I installed one on my FJR1300 and for that bike it was the greatest thing next to sliced bread!! The pics of the RDL on the Vision look pretty good as the lines are not too out of character. I may have to investigate in the off season as you have to ship the seat pan to RDL in order for them to do the custom job. All in all takes about 3-4 weeks, definitely too long in the riding season.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I to was looking for a more comfortable ride (seat) but did not want to give up the heat for late year riding. I finally settled on a Air Hawk Cushion for those long rides. In march I went to Bentonville AR and did 13.5 hours in the saddle in one day. It was ok but the ride back the next day after a few hours I was moving around trying to get comfortable. Now, I do have a tailbone that will act up occassionally and it did that day. Well, I was taking another trip to Montana and back a few weeks back and purchased the Air Hawk cushion for the ride. Two days in the saddle for about 10-12 hours each day and it was very comfortable and did not have to shift all over the place to be comfortable. It will cost you between 125 and 189 depending on where you get it but for this Vision rider....it was wonderful!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Jack, where can one get these for 125? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts

The Russell seats are the best thing going. I don't usually like look of them, but I thought it was completely in character on the Vision. Looks better on the Vision than on any other bike I've seen them on.
My brother has one on his V92TC, and it looks funky, but feels great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check out Richs custom saddles. Perfect fit. Guaranteed with free fine tuning. Kept heat and new stitching. Just finished 4000 miles in one week and could just keep riding. Iron Butt will be easy. Here is the linkhttp://www.richscustomseats.com/

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
soutterjack said:
Bubba and DJBoca,

I paid $129.00 at www.medicaldepartmentstore.com. Doing a new search I have found it for $98.99 athttp://www.specialmedical.com/p-591-roho-airhawk-2-seat-cushion-medium-cruiser.aspx.

It is well worth the money!
Thank You!!

·
Vendor
1,410 Posts

I manufacture a custom vision seat.. it is made with memory foam. The memory foam moves easier with your body. It does not get stiff like the factory foam.
We can cover it in any material, two tone , pipeing, custom stiching( flames, webbing, pin striping). The seats are sold on an exchange basis. We use the factory base of the seat. The seat will also drop your ride height from 1" to 2"
( your choice). If you need pricing or have any questions feel free to contact me.
I will have a webstore opening in October ( HMD520.com) we will be making custom parts for visions. Wrap around front fenders, air ride suspesion, lowering links, layback license plate brackets, and more.
Thanks for looking
email- [email protected]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had my stock seat altered by installing a 1/2 inch or so gel pad. I can now ride as many hours as I want to withoutANY problems or butt fatigue. Justrode straignt through from the CA Bay Area to the Seattle Metro Area (over 800+ miles and 13 hours in the saddle)withoutthe slightestseat issue. Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA did the work. They cut out a 1-2 inch section of the OEM seat foam and replaced it with the gel pad. I was also able to keep my heated seat...Note: I'm not affiliated with Rich's in anyway. Cost: Around $200, plus or minus a couple of bucks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.