1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
I would be too.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Experience with such things has helped me understand one of the laws governing motorcycles.

New tires get punctured much easier and much more often than old tires.

sorry, but I feel your pain. It seems like I couldn't pay someone to make an old tire go flat, but a new one? Been on the side of the road more than once going :cussing: over a shot new tire.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feel that pain. Had about 400 miles on a new set of E4s and the same thing happened. I went back to the same shop to get a new rear and there's a shiny new Dunlop sign in the window advertising their new road hazzard warranty.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@J.Wales I feel your pain, man. Hate to see a good tire go down like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would also plug it and ride on. Had a new rear tire with less than 100 miles go flat because of a nail. Put a sticky worm in it and rode on. That was one nail magnet of a tire. I had 5 plugs in it before I wore it out. Have not had a flat since. Knock wood.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Yes, not all plugs are created equal. The easy to do on the side of the road type plug, the ones that is a piece of twisted rubber with lot of sticky gunk on it will work, and work for a while.. bu the mushroom plugs, especially when you can put them in to the deep tread like that.. that'll last till the tire is worn down to the plug itself. I worked in a shop for a few years and one of the things I did a LOT of was plug tires. I don't think I EVER had one of the mushroom type plugs fail if inserted correctly.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Had same thing happen on a trip to an AVON with appox 2000 miles. I'm not one that will plug/patch and use still on a trip with over 4000 miles to go. If near home I would have kept and used for local rides, but didn't feel like paying for shipping home. Only positive IMHO was that the only tire they had was a Metzler, finished trip and first thing I did was get that POS off and back to an AVON. Next years trip with 6000 miles on the AVON, got SCREWED again. Still have the E4 on because again only tire dealer had, which I only like on nice roads, mostly straight and expressways...other then then that, IMHO, another POS. Back to an AVON before next long trip. NOT to be screwed on another inferior tire again IMHO. (and checking next AVON to see if magnetic :rofl3:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've plugged a few rear tires in my life, all with great success.
If it was towards the sidewall, I probably wouldn't, but seeing as yours in in the centre tread, no worries about plugging that!

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
When I bought my 08 it has brand new E4s. In the first week I picked up a nail so I know your pain.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Had same thing happen on a trip to an AVON with appox 2000 miles. I'm not one that will plug/patch and use still on a trip with over 4000 miles to go. If near home I would have kept and used for local rides, but didn't feel like paying for shipping home. Only positive IMHO was that the only tire they had was a Metzler, finished trip and first thing I did was get that POS off and back to an AVON. Next years trip with 6000 miles on the AVON, got SCREWED again. Still have the E4 on because again only tire dealer had, which I only like on nice roads, mostly straight and expressways...other then then that, IMHO, another POS. Back to an AVON before next long trip. NOT to be screwed on another inferior tire again IMHO. (and checking next AVON to see if magnetic :rofl3:)
hey 12, u like avons that much more than metzeler? why?? what about a Michelin?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Rear E4 shot and I didn't have that many miles on it. Yeah, I'm whining.
Ummmm... Is that in the center of the tire?
I run ride-on picked up a screw or two... One time screw in the front tire, ripped in out, cleaned the hole, and ran it for two seasons...

And if your too worried, have the tire peeled off, and patch it from the inside...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.