VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader, first time posting

Two years ago I installed a 1 piece screaming banshee horn in place of my stock horn. Last fall I had the HID Headlight kit installed and since then almost every time I start the bike the horn chirps. The shop that installed it could not trace it down and another shop also could not trace it down.

I moved the hot leads for horn and HID harness to separate posts on the battery and that did nothing, I have the horn grounded to the frame.

As we all know, the vision attracts enough attention, I would prefer to not announce I am starting the bike.

anyone ever seen this problem or have suggestions I should try.

thanks
Rich

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've read hear b4 and did what was recommended also, to add a relay for the horn. More wiring involved but never had an issue. If I remember correctly, something about the cruise inoperative when hooking up an aftermarket horn without relay. Maybe its receiving some amperage from the starting circuit for a second. Maybe someone can chime in and give you more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the horn has it's own ground wire as well as grounded to the frame. I believe the Shockwave has a built-in a relay, I do have the screaming banshee on/off wires spliced into the original horn wire harness, maybe it is getting a pulse through the original horn switch wires during the starting cycle. Maybe it is like the led light issues and the cruise control. if i was to add a relay, where would i put it? switch wires or the lead to the battery?

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Hmm, my horn only works 50% of the time (at best) I push the horn button.

Have the relay operate by closing when the horn button is pressed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wired mine with an inline fuse, new relay using horn button wires, and power and ground directly to the battery, no issues at all. You said u believe it has a relay, but are u sure or just assuming. I'm not aware of your type horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.