Scott Wine Resigns | Page 6 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Scott Wine Resigns

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Rollin, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Boardwalk
    Oh those blokes view of Victory from their side of the pond:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    My question is when did they ever air those commercials? I used to watch a ton of TV back then. Only commercials I can recall for bikes were all for Honda.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    I don’t recall seeing many Victory commercials either, maybe 1 or 2 but none that stick out. Maybe a regional thing or I was already out riding when they were aired, cool ads though as it worked in hind site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    The We Fuel It add on youtube 2011 and only a little over 10k views - Not good. I did like the add though as this is how I want my bike to perform and it does.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    They did some during NASCAR races. One year Travis Pastrana? had a Vic out on Daytona. Ads with the Gunny. They had a few, very few.

• Like Like x 1
  6. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    One thing with advertising is it’s just throwing money away if you’re advertising to people who are not in your market. Victory did a pretty good job spending money at motorcycle shows and rally’s. They spent money on guys like Gunny and Ness, and they produced these ads. And if you were on motorcycle pages on social media or visited motorcycle related internet sites, you might have seen them. But if you’re watching Seinfeld or The Simpson’s Victory didn’t pay the millions it would have taken to show those ads to people that don’t ride motorcycles.

My beef with their marketing was a bit more nuanced. I think they did just fine spending the money we’re they did. My complaint especially in the later years was overhyping and over overpromising. Does anyone else remember the media blitz promising a bike that breaks all boundaries to be released at an upcoming IMS show? And they unveiled a Cross Roads with apes? Or how they hyped the soon to be released Octane as some kind of super bike with class leasing power out of 1200 cc’s? And at release we learned it had 104 hp, at the crank? I don’t think taking a Cross Country that had been out for six years already, making a cool video of it drifting, and then claimed this 800 lb bagger with 5 more hp than the competition was “American muscle” did them any favors. Imagine you’re a Harley rider, you see the video of the guys drifting the super charged XC’s...“wow look at how much power those things have, I gotta go demo ride one”...and then you demo a stock XC, which doesn’t really feel all that much more powerful than your Street Glide. Over promise and under deliver is not a good strategy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    That was one I haven’t seen !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

Several years ago I was able to be part of a promotion for the Vision.
    They posted a story of a ride I did on the Victory website and put a link in a mass email. That was cool!

4321 miles isn't a lot but this trip included 4 Iron Butt rides done on one week that included stops at the top of Mount Evans, lowest point in Death Valley and the top of Pikes Peak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Yep rarer than running across a Victory on a Saturday ride, but the thought was there and like most things failed on follow through...

Saw a couple on Speedvision back in the day. But haven't seen that many HD ones either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Michael J Kneebone ...... what a great name ? American Indian ? English ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    You're still a hero and an inspiration to me @Rollin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

I had sent Victory a lot of stories and photos and they posted a lot of the stories on their website. They posted a lot of stories from Victory riders and their own stories and info. Victory had created an 11 part series on the history of Victory and added it to their website. There were many pages of rider stories on the site.
    In 2015 I did the ride to Inuvik, I think that ride was the most challenging ride I had done. I sent the story and photos to Victory but this time they were not interested, when I looked at the website they weren't adding any new stories or info from anyone. A few months later they deleted all of Victory rider stories and info, all of it.
    To me it was like they deleted their history...it was the beginning of the end.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
  14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    While they’re in bed with Indian they still have to live with the fact that they killed their own brand. Life is short and I won’t care when I’m gone but that legacy is something Polarass will have to live with for as long as they’re in business. I will help make sure of it.
    The obvious still exists in places like this forum, events, and gatherings for the brand and just riding down the road still looking good and leading the way.
    Victory lives .....with its owners..... riders.... enthusiasts as well as new owners excited to get a piece of American history. The questions keep coming ...... “ where can I get this part and that part ? “ this accessory and that seat?” Oh yes very much still alive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I watched this. Kind of a fun trip down a past top ten list! I did comment. After I was done I thought it might be fun to share that here! What the hell, I actually have the time today (working from home on a slow, pre-thanksgiving day groove) So here it is!

"Ah, late to the party as usual! Very nice list, Sir. I'm a Vision Pilot and would not have another before it, but it's pretty hard to argue with the number one pick. The Jackpot specifically. What an epic mistake it was to kill Victory. Instead of maintaining a window to look forward and keep the momentum going, they shorted themselves and got locked into this whole heritage bit. Ironically, if you look at the newer stuff, it's looking less heritage and more Vic every day! They are realizing that you can only take that schtick so far. And now that that POS Scott Wine is gone from the company, who knows what the new leadership will do. I don't know that Victory will ever re-emerge as a brand, but perhaps some of that great Victory DNA will find its way into more of the design philosophy moving forward. But I digress!

Since I am biased towards the Vision, I'm gonna list the 5 Victories that I would also have or have as a sister bike if there was room in the garage for another!
    - Magnum X-1................. Had this bike existed in 2014, I may well be riding that bike instead of the Vision.
    - Hammer S..................... By far my favorite Vic Steel frame bike. Would make a perfect Sister bike to my Vision.
    - Cross Country............... Specifically a 2012 Corey Ness Special Edition. Love the forged bars.
    - Kingpin.......................... Another great looker. Barely finished behind the Hammer in my book.
    - Gunner.......................... Could be one of the most under rated bikes in the whole lineup.

So that is my story and I am sticking to it! If anyone is out there reading this, what would make your list that is not on mine and why? I still have my 2014 Vision and ride it all the time. I will never part with this bike. I'm already making plans to freshen it up while parts are still available. You just can't beat a Vision. Cheers!"

EDIT: I had to throw in a shot of the bike.

[​IMG]

And so gents... what would make your list that is not on mine and why?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2