Scott Wine Resigns | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Scott Wine Resigns

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Rollin, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    For Sh!tbrick it's actually kind of a promotion. Sounds like the company he will stink up is global and is bigger. I don't even care what he does, I am just glad he is gone from our little Universe! As for the company, there is a strategy that is in play and I don't see that changing soon. But it will be interesting to see if a new leader will have a different vision of how to move forward.

There has been a nice move to liquid cooling in the engine architecture. The Scout engine is very nice. I think the Power Plus 108 is a hit. They will be able to do much more with this thing than just the Challenger. I am curious as to what that might be.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I don’t see this as a reason for optimism. As much as I think Scott Wine’s management sucked, the thing that pissed me off most was his sacrificing Victory in order to make his decision to buy Indian look better. So what happens now when a new CEO is unconcerned about making Wine’s acquisitions look good? It wouldn’t be unreasonable for a new CEO to rid Polaris of Wine’s dead weight. Motorcycles have been the worst performing division of Polaris for several years. This news is probably not good for Indian. The only positive I see is that both brands would be up for sale if the new CEO does decide to bail on motorcycles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ghostrider25

@iabob Valid point. And that would be kind of a shame, because the bikes aren't bad at all. I gotta tell you, that 108 rides nice. I enjoyed it. They can do something good with that thing I think. It would be kinda sad to see all that go away. But you could be right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    @iabob ... i was thinking along those lines as well. if the new CEO is coming in to cut ANY dead weight .. wave goodbye to the Slingshit and the writing could be on the wall for Indian. i keep hearing that indian dealers are having a hard time making $$ (but thats all hear-say)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Yup, Scott Wine killed Victory, in part, due to the 'not invented here syndrome'. He did all he could to justify buying the Indian brand name and if that cost Polaris their own Victory brand, so be it. Victory didn't help Scott Wine in his mind, it was an obstacle that needed to be removed to help his Indian brand. Wine and his team saw Victory as a competitor, not as a partner so they killed it.

Victory Motorcycles was the idea and creativity of the regime previous to Scott Wine. No reason to believe the next new regime won't have similar ideas. After all, CEO's need to fill out their portfolio by saving their current company a lot of money. IF it's true that motorcycles haven't made money for Polaris Industries, there's no reason not to suspect that the Indian brand won't get killed off as well.

Though personally, I doubt the Indian brand will be killed off by the next regime but who knows until they get started and they figure out where and how they can make the biggest impact. Remember, most companies know or care a lot LESS about the products they make than their customers do. This is especially true of companies that make emotional and/or disposable income products. Do you think the Wall Street Kids who took over Remington cared a wit about any Remington product? No sir, all they cared about is cutting product quality by saving money on cheaper parts. Their decisions bankrupted Remington and it was just recently sold off to a few other companies. But the Wall Street Kids made their money anyway and have all moved on to repeat the process somewhere else.

At the CEO level, they could really care less about the products, all their focus is on next quarters stock value and their financial report. Because that's how CEO's make money. Sure, their salary is big but their real money is made in the options and/or stock price. And yes, their golden parachute is typically negotiated as part of the hiring process.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Rollinwind

Rollinwind Active Member

16 Magnum
    Slingshot has been growing on the roads around here in the great lakes. I dont have a hardon for one but I hope they keep making them. Also met someone who races them in Chicago last year. So I think its a cheap easy ticket to get on the track for alot of people.

Would have **** myself if I could have got into a Viper at Road America.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    Let hope the new CEO is a motorcyclist and not some corporate "rent a CEO" brought in to do clean up. The reality is, the motorcycle business in the US sucks right now and long term may not look attractive enough on the balance sheets in a company whos bread and butter is UTV's and snowmobiles. This may get interesting!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PreachSF

When i lived in IA, we used to go over to Road America for the Windy City BMW Driving Schools ... man, i have been in some bad ass cars on that track!! EFFING LOVE ROAD AMERICA!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ghostrider25

I was fortunate enough to do a few laps at Laguna Seca when I had the Vette. Kind of a bucket list thing, ya know. But to have a shot at turning some laps at Road America? Bike, car, I don't care! Just to be there would be pretty special.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PreachSF

i almost died in a Vette going into Canada Corner (instructor overshot the braking point) .... but MAN .. what a ride that was!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    **** Scott Wine!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    As if the dude has balls...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    He's got a lot of farm equipment competition in the world. But the brand missing in this gargantuan list is Massey Harris. Go figure.

List of tractor manufacturers - Wikipedia

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.27.32 AM.png

The Polaris dealer that sold the first Vic in Canada was Elk Island Sales. Early this year, the owner dropped Polaris completely and got into farm equipment. Even Google Maps shows the place as a tractor dealer. How disheartening. But they will continue to service Victory and Polaris snow machines as long as customers want to bring them in.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.34.14 AM.png

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    Did not see a Hoyt Clagwell on that list. Guess Oliver Wendall Douglas owned the last one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    Well said, sir!

• Like Like x 1