VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a 2010 jackpot premium. All the bells and whistles. cams,torque tubes,timing gear,pipes, PCV, ecu remapped for rev limiter and speed limiter. 113hp 126tq by kyle a couple years ago. I ride this bike hard. it wheelies and burns tires often. Last fall I noticed it starting slipping aggressively at almost rev limiter in second. doesn't seem to do it anywhere else. Firgured at 21k and its HP its due for a Barnett and pressure plate. I called today and got a quote for $650 including the oil change. its been bugging me that's its only second gear so I checked the google ;-) now it sounds like it could be dog ears on the tranny. Got an email out to kyle and gonna take it by the local vic shop but from what I found it could be thousands just to break the engine down. Thinking of doing an engine swap for $1200 and transfer over all the loydz goodies. looking for opinions. I got 5 bikes but this is the only semi passenger capable...and my girl is paying attention...

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Soooo....

Either way the motor is coming out.

Never heard of gears "slipping". Don't think it's really possible. You'd have A LOT of metal in the oil.

Clutch would be fairly simple to do, and even if you swap engines, you could use it.

I vote for a clutch and see how she goes. Cut the oil filter open and see what's in there.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
That's right, gears and the engagement dogs / sliders don't slip. They are either in or out of gear. Clutches usually slip in the higher gears at first. How's the clutch cable free play?

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
My vote is to have him beef up the clutch, and as @notaharley said it could always be used on a different engine. I started upgrading mine before I had an issue. If your clutch cable is a little messed up on the inside it may not be releasing all the way so get a new cable too.

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
That's right, gears and the engagement dogs / sliders don't slip. They are either in or out of gear. Clutches usually slip in the higher gears at first. How's the clutch cable free play?
I thought I needed clutch to, adj at lever. MY error, it was the cable that needed adj. Mine to would slip if twisted throttle, without downshifting, to pass a car. Was SO happy it was adj, not clutch OR OIL I use (VICTORY) :angel4:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It feels like its popping out of gear which is a little unnerving when are high RPM. Its pretty jarring which is why I'm thinking tranny over just a clutch slip. Clutch cable has plenty of slack. Thinking with the higher torque and the 250mm tire I may have put too much strain on the tranny

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
If your getting it solidly into second and it pops out under a load I'd say you're right. It probably has worn out / tappered the gear dogs and the part it engages. Also could have a broken snap ring that holds the gear in place on either the mainshaft or countershaft.

·
Registered
128 Posts
so I have a 2010 jackpot premium. All the bells and whistles. cams,torque tubes,timing gear,pipes, PCV, ecu remapped for rev limiter and speed limiter. 113hp 126tq by kyle a couple years ago. I ride this bike hard. it wheelies and burns tires often. Last fall I noticed it starting slipping aggressively at almost rev limiter in second. doesn't seem to do it anywhere else. Firgured at 21k and its HP its due for a Barnett and pressure plate. I called today and got a quote for $650 including the oil change. its been bugging me that's its only second gear so I checked the google ;-) now it sounds like it could be dog ears on the tranny. Got an email out to kyle and gonna take it by the local vic shop but from what I found it could be thousands just to break the engine down. Thinking of doing an engine swap for $1200 and transfer over all the loydz goodies. looking for opinions. I got 5 bikes but this is the only semi passenger capable...and my girl is paying attention...
Five bikes.... I must be doing something wrong. I only have one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol Well there not all Vics... started building café racers a couple of years ago. Much cheaper hobby. 81CX500 bobber converted to monoshock, 82 GL500 café,82 XV920 and a 2001 yzf600R.

Well I took it by the shop. Manager thinks its the tranny, Technician thinks its the power commander with a whole in the map. I'll unplug the power command and retest. Neither feel its the clutch.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
When it has the "slipping aggressively" problem with 2nd does it stay in 2nd and straighten itself back out or does it completely come out of gear / neutralize and you have to shift it back into a gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it happens at the upper RPM range of 2nd. it comes right back in after you let off. it happens really fast but doesn't;t have that popped into neutral zing... I don't have to do anything with the shifter other than let off.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My previous 2010 cammed up XC wrecked the transmission. It started in 2nd gear. At 1st, seemed like slipping. Then evolved to seeming like it came out of gear/total loss of power to the wheel under moderate/hard acceleration in 2nd gear. Eventually, on a cross country trip, it kicked me out of 6th gear. It didn't brake down on the trip but no more 6th gear. Long story short. The whole transmission spline was failing. That was at about 40 miles. On a side note. That was the second time they had split the cases on that bike. At about 17k, a bent 2nd gear shift fork and that notorious plastic bearing had been replaced (under warranty).

For what it's worth,.
WW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to know Wicked, I've come to terms with what ever it ends up being. Tomorrow I will bypass the PC. if that's not it I've seen several low mileage engines for $1000-1200. the loydz goodies should be easy enough to swap over and I don't see any issue doing the engine swap myself. Basically its not the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Funny you mention clutch play...
When mine happened that was the 1st thing I did on my trip.

WW

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.