VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about adding saddlebag speakers to my bike but would like some opinions from those who have them. I searched for this info and didn't really get my questions answered. First,do they add anything to the fairing speakers while moving? I'm not one to listen to the stereo while parked. Second, if they are worth having, should I go with the factory bag lids and 6x9's or HMD lids and 6.5" speakers? I've heard the 6.5's sound better but I've heard about quality issues with HMD products. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: mrxc2014

·
Registered
731 Posts
Please, continue. Following this thread ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm starting out a little different than any other Cross Country, as I put the Cross Country fairing on a Cross Roads. I do not have a radio receiver, I use an aux plug for an iPod going to a JL Audio HX 280/4 bridged to Hertz HCX 165 6.5" speakers. I wasn't sure if the saddlebag speakers would make much of a difference using quality speakers and amp to support the fairing speakers. I'm not even sure how far it is practical to go without a head unit. As for the saddlebag lids, HMD, Rusty Jones, and Witchdoctor all advertise them, not sure who actually makes them, although Witchdoctor does reference Rusty Jones in their pictures.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I have the XR fairing also and you are very limited on what you can do without it taking up a saddle bag. I have the factory Kicker setup (not the greatest) in the fairing in case I want to listen in town or on very short trips, but I listen to my music on long trips via wired earbuds from my GPS/XM unit which also gives me driving directions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did more research on the speaker lids, they're made by Rusty Jones not HMD so I'm going to move on them. I'm told that there are 2 different 6.5" speakers that won't let water through into the saddlebags, Polk Audio MM 652 and Arc Audio Moto 602 V2. Anybody have experience with either one or have another recommendation?

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I have the ARC MOTO 692. I have no doubt the 6.5s are as good a quality and sound.
They are an excellent choice. I put 150 watts to each speaker using the ARC MOTO 600 amp.
Pricey but things built well usually are.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the ARC MOTO 692. I have no doubt the 6.5s are as good a quality and sound.
They are an excellent choice. I put 150 watts to each speaker using the ARC MOTO 600 amp.
Pricey but things built well usually are.
Thanks for the feedback, pretty much confirms what I've heard about Arc Audio. I want saddlebag speakers but not at the expense of having water in the bags, sounds like these should do the job.

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Arc is a weather proof. There is a tiny weep hole to let water thru so they do t puddle and get ruined.
Keep items in your bags that can't get wet safe with either zip lock or marine bags.
Other weather proof speakers will also have a rubber isolater between the woofer and the stalk.
Kicker makes a nice weather proof speaker as well.
Polk are marine rated to withstand harsh conditions but as Mr Maxx says. Nothing is water proof.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know enough to not use the stereo when the speakers would have water in them, just find it hard to believe everyone with saddlebag speakers ends up with water in their bags. Maybe most never get caught in the rain or park their bikes outside while on trips.

·
Banned
2,192 Posts
I know enough to not use the stereo when the speakers would have water in them, just find it hard to believe everyone with saddlebag speakers ends up with water in their bags. Maybe most never get caught in the rain or park their bikes outside while on trips.
If you speakers are full of water you will not have to worry about using them...

Do your research...I personally Im using lid condoms...

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Or shut it off till your out of the rain. Then open your lids. Honestly I've never had an issue caught in the rain. The Vic grills are designed to shield/shed water. Riding puts the grills in the wind and most of that rain water is blown behind you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be shutting it off in the rain anyway. I'm planning to use Rusty Jones speaker lids, Victory ones are gone, so I will have 6.5 round speakers with grills with a similar pattern to the Victory grills, so the rain should blow past for the most part. I have found the Victory saddle bag covers on eBay and they will keep everything dry when parked or when riding long distance in the rain, which I hate to do anyway.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Sounds good. Rusty makes good stuff. He's real passionate about his products. You made a good choice with his lids. Enjoy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered everything for my saddlebag speakers. Rusty Jones 6.5" speaker lids, Arc Audio Moto 600.4 amp, Arc Audio Moto 602 V2 speakers, and Victory saddlebag lid covers for wet conditions. Can't wait to get everything installed and tuned, it should sound great.

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question for those that have speakers in the lids, are tethers like HMD sells necessary to support the extra weight in the lids?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.