VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take off my bags on my '12 XVCT each time I wash it...and it makes it a lot easier to check the air pressure. Really want to keep a quick release option, but the factory option with those damn spring mounts with the 1/4 turn is a PITA. I haven't had any issues with them coming undone and my bags sliding down the highway, but I've hooked several of the spring receptacle and had to replace those.

Has anyone designed or found something better, more reliable, more secure, and still have a quick release to get off?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Reactions: scottbass

·
Registered
6,655 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think checking the tire pressure is a side-effect of having the bags removed. I do the same thing, although not EVERY time she gets a bath, but often. And I check the tire pressure while I'm down there. I have no faith in TPMS yet, but may one day. I'd probably feel more comfortable with those cheap caps that have green/red buttons that also leak often and are set to specific values.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I bought those preset valve caps 20 yrs ago. As did another rider in our group. One of his failed and leaked air and was replaced only to have it leak as well. I got rid of mine and did the usual pressure checks - kick the tires to see if they’re still hard and lie on the garage floor and crawl under the mufflers to check pressures now and again. There’s no way of telling if one of those caps is NFG at the outset, soon to be or basically good. I check tires every time I approach the bike using my iPhone. Fobo works. I suppose one could fail. Even the shuttle flights suffered 2 failures. But a failing load cell will show zero psi and the app will alarm. And battery life is constantly shown in the app as well. Each to their own.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
My bike has been stored since Oct 03 due to an upcoming vacation we took and not knowing what the weather would be like once we returned. Well, it hasn't been nice. Good to have it covered up and on the battery maintainer. But every time I walk into the garage and am in there a short while, the Fobo begins to emit the 11 warning sounds (like 11 incoming text messages). As was the case this morning. The image shows the temp of the front tire and rear tire, the red numbers are the measured pressures (front set at 40 psi, rear at 41 psi at around 19C or 66 F) and the small blue pressures are the 1st psi levels that emit the warnings when the tires are heated up from riding. Conversely, a drop in pressure of 3 psi on either tire will emit the 11 tones. Interesting that the pressures drop 4-5 psi with a 19C drop in temps. So setting pressures when the tires are "cold" makes me wonder exactly what "cold" really is. I'd believe it to be anywhere between 16-20 C (61-68F).

View attachment 503633

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
cold is room temperature...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This thread has been hijacked!

Room temperature is the temperature in the room, nothing more, nothing less. And it's always exactly what it is.

@1stVictory Those would be normal temperatures, haha! But always in Fahrenheit for my explanation.

It really doesn't matter what the ambient temperature is, cold is basically after sitting for say 4 or more hours. If it's 5 degrees and you run normally 38psi, fill it to 38psi. If it's 100 degrees, fill it to 38psi. The tire can handle some +- pressure. The only time this really should be a problem is if you happen to live somewhere whereas it's -12 degrees in the morning when you check it "cold" and by the end of the day it's 80 degrees out. So you set the air pressure to 38psi at -12 degrees, later in the day when it's 80 degrees and you check the pressure, it will probably read somewhere around 45psi (if it hasn't moved). That's a 90 degree swing in temperature which is pretty rare with a 12psi increase in pressure which is pretty extreme, and I wouldn't be riding in -12 anyway. Average temperature swings in N.A. are around 20-30 degrees which translates to roughly 1.5psi. I heard rule of thumb is 1psi increase/decrease for each 10 degrees temperature change. I think this is people that hate math making it seem too easy. The real rule of thumb is more like PSI(+-)PSI*0.02 such as seen in the attached graph.

View attachment 503891

This doesn't account for radiant heat from the sun, hot roadways, or the tire actually moving under load. Expect an additional overall increase of 1-2psi working under load and an additional 2-3psi from radiant heat. So during an average day from cold morning to hot afternoon riding all day, you could expect an increase of roughly 5-6.5psi. This won't change much based on the the morning temperature in the winter vs the morning temperature in the summer. You'll still likely see about the same increase given the same conditions other than the outside air temperature.

I tend to check my pressures about once a week of normal riding or each time if infrequent (such as Pacific Northwest winter) where I might ride one or two times a week at best. And leave me alone, I was bored and I enjoy math.

And now @TheBucket, back to you. Was your question satisfactorily answered?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
PDX,

Well, here's a screen shot from this past Aug. Tires set to 40# and 41# respectively at around 20C (you do the math). The front tire gained 3# in a 6C increase (you'll notice that it was still 0.8# short of notifying me on the 1st level pressure increase). The rear tire, heated by the engine and extra weight on it, was up 6# in a 16C temp increase. It gave me the 11 "incoming text" sounds telling me it's up over the threshold pressure.

Remember, these aren't old-school technology Harleys we ride. They are "metric" bikes and as such are wrenched with metric tools and therefore should have temps shown in celsius. But I'm still old school when it comes to pressure and avoid using kilo pascals or bars as their measurements. Though my digital tire pressure gauge does include all 3 choices.

Thanks for your technological input. But I agree that we have drifted from the original saddlebag issue somewhat. In hopes that others will appreciate all this input.

View attachment 503901

·
Registered
960 Posts
In later years, they changed them to screws, it takes a little longer to remove them but they'll be more secure. Check out witchdoctor's for the kits. This one requires no tools, but they have allen head screws as well.
Saddlebag Security Knobs in Specialty Fasteners & Bolt Cap Kits - Victory Cross Country Bolts & Cap Kits - Victory Cross Country - Shop Parts and Accessories - Your #1 Source for US Made, Custom Victory & Indian Motorcycle Parts
I had these. Wasn't happy with them. The back 2 for some reason were constantly loosening from vibration I guess, no matter lock washers I tried. So I put on blue loctite. It worked but then of course I needed a wrench on the knob to take them off. And the plastic knurled heads started to come loose on the bolts so I went back to the original hex head bolt system that Vic came up with in '15 I believe. That never vibrated loose for me. Frankly its just as quick to release and I have a socket wrench and some sockets in my toolbag side anyway. Its just as quick for me to take off as the knurled knobs.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I had these. Wasn't happy with them. The back 2 for some reason were constantly loosening from vibration I guess, no matter lock washers I tried. So I put on blue loctite. It worked but then of course I needed a wrench on the knob to take them off. And the plastic knurled heads started to come loose on the bolts so I went back to the original hex head bolt system that Vic came up with in '15 I believe. That never vibrated loose for me. Frankly its just as quick to release and I have a socket wrench and some sockets in my toolbag side anyway. Its just as quick for me to take off as the knurled knobs.
Can you post how these are set up and installed on the bike. I have them and want to make sure I'm putting them on right. Nope sure don't have the instructions.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I bought the secure Torx screw kit. Used them for about 2 years but had to lend the wrench to the shop to take off the bags. Went back to the 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners that came with the bike. Just keep the bag locks locked and all is well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.