VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out Saturday that Catlin Kustom Cycles in Richmond Va is closing it door for good. It a sad day because those guy was the best dealer of any motorcycle dealership I have ever dealt with. Wish these guys well but hate to see them go.

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
This all confuses me so much. I read in all the publications how Triumph and Victory are doing well and all the others have horrible sales. Yet, I keep hearing about Vic and Triumph shops closing up.

I guess they just went so broke 2 years ago they can't recover fast enough.

Sad to see good shops not make it.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

satxron said:
This all confuses me so much. I read in all the publications how Triumph and Victory are doing well and all the others have horrible sales. Yet, I keep hearing about Vic and Triumph shops closing up.

I guess they just went so broke 2 years ago they can't recover fast enough.

Sad to see good shops not make it.
Victory doing well doesn't mean dealers are doing well. Sales are up but they are up from their worse year. Speculation says between 6-7000 bikes were sold last year. Divide that among 300+ dealers you have about 20 sales a year. Take out a couple of high volumn dealers like MOM and that number drops. But even at that number if a dealer made about 3k on a bike (which I doubt) thats only 60k a year. It is going to be very hard for a Vic only shop to make it atleast with Polaris it gives them the ATV and snowmobile sales.
Bubba before you start on me, I am not saying anything bad about Victory, just this economy sucks and the little guy is the one that gets hurt.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Bubba before you start on me, I am not saying anything bad about Victory, just this economy sucks and the little guy is the one that gets hurt.
Don, I actually agreewith your statemant!
You have an opinion just as I do. Sometimes we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. But That's OK. You actually have more wind in your sail, Mr post leader!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
bubba said:
dsjr70 said:
Don, I actually agreewith your statemant!
You have an opinion just as I do. Sometimes we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. But That's OK. You actually have more wind in your sail, Mr post leader!!
My heart just skipped a beat!!!! lol You got a little wind yourself Mr. 4th Place!

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
It's damn hard for any small business to make it these days. The tax laws are designed to help big business and the little guy gets hit in the balls everytime. Most small business are treading a fine line when times are good. Like was said, if the average Vic only dealer has 60k in gross profit from sales to cover wages and overhead I don't know how they could possibly do it. Even factoring in some profit from accessories and service, not much to go around.

Reactions: J.Wales

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
Then I stand corrected. Triumph is doing well. All the others are taking a hit.

It is still pretty sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.