VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone a devout believer in S100 on the engine and wheels? I've tried a couple different wheel cleaners that claimed to get brake dust off but between Armor All wheel cleaner and Turtle Wax wheel cleaner I wasn't overly impressed. I wash my bike weekly but once in a while I pop the saddlebags off and give the back wheel a good scrubbing. I even take the side covers off and remove the seat and carefully pressure wash the grime off that grosses me out knowing it's there. But for the weekly clean up I'd like something for the tough spots, like the top of the motor and the back wheel where it's hard to get a brush into. I ride in the rain frequently and that really leaves a mess in the tight areas.

Something aggressive but not harmful.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I used 1 can of the S100 cleaner and was not that impressed.
I usually use foaming bathroom cleaner like scrubbing bubbles works good on the engine finns and top of the engine. Never tried it on the wheel but will on my next wash.

Reactions: torotim

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
I used S100 once. It pissed me off because the bottle spray head broke half way through so I had to buy a new bottle. I wasn't impressed enough to buy it again.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don’t do much bike cleaning because it cuts into riding time + I never noticed any performance improvements from cleaning one; but when I do feel the need to clean a bike, I use S100 every time. It works good enough for me, but I’m probably not the best judge of a clean bike since I rarely care if my bike is clean or dirty.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't do much bike cleaning because it cuts into riding time + I never noticed any performance improvements from cleaning one; but when I do feel the need to clean a bike, I use S100 every time. It works good enough for me, but I'm probably not the best judge of a clean bike since I rarely care if my bike is clean or dirty.
Riding time is the key, but i also have a problem with being obsessed with clean vehicles. That's why I spent a month and a half last winter changing my CC from Black to Ice Diamond White! Couldn' take the constant battle with how it shows everything. I just wanna cut my cleaning time down for more seat time. I use Zep T&T brushless truck and trailer soap at work on my semi and lowboy trailer. Awesome stuff, no brushing required for bugs or grime. just melts off. But it doesnt get along with flat black or textured finishes. Leaves a slight residue on that stuff. And it has to be applied with hot soft water and low pressure, then blasted off with cold water. I don't have that setup at home. That and it's $115 for a five gallon pale. But that's many years of washing a bike. Just looking for a solution that's doable at home.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Pay the neighbor kid $5.00.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
S100 smells like muriatic acid.

New commercial on tv about Silver wax
They have a wheel cleaner
They claim it’s better than ever else on the market at getting brake dust off.

I will try it if I can find it..

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
go to walmart and pick up Simple Green better priced then S100 and does a better job.
keep in mind all cleaning products work when you apply elbow grease
I agree. The old formula was a little too caustic so the secret was to spray the surface with your garden hose first, spray the Simple Green on, wait two minutes then spray off with the hose.

Anything left will require a little extra scrubbing with a bristle brush after applying the Simple Green again. The toilet brushes actually work pretty good for this. Rinse and done.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

They claim it's better than ever else on the market at getting brake dust off.

Yeah, the brake dust on the back wheel the real struggle. Even with the bags off its a tight squeeze for my spoke wand with the pulley and rotor in the way.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I use sprayway foaming glass cleaner on damn near everything and it works great. Then I wax the wheel so it's easy to clean the next time. I wax the exhaust as well after cleaning.
Up here I don;t get as much riding time because of the weather so cleaning isn't cutting into riding time.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use sprayway foaming glass cleaner on damn near everything and it works great. Then I wax the wheel so it's easy to clean the next time. I wax the exhaust as well after cleaning.
Up here I don;t get as much riding time because of the weather so cleaning isn't cutting into riding time.
I agree on the wax. I haven't had the gumption to try and wax the rear wheel yet, my hands can barely bend anymore. It's hell just to get my FOBO off to add air to the tire let alone get into that sort of detail. I learned a trick long ago on Lexan windscreens when I worked for an aerial applicator for a couple of years. We'd order liquid wax by the case and water it down 50/50. When the planes landed the windscreens were so full of bugs from flying low over cropland at 110 mph that it wasn't uncommon for the pilots to have to lower their visor and stick their heads out the side window to land. The watered down wax kept the bugs from sticking and wiped off easily with a quick swipe and it dried quickly so it could be wiped off instantly without effort. They were reloaded and refueled without ever shutting the engine down and were up and at 'em in mere minutes so it had to be quick. I use that same practice on the forward facing surfaces on the bike all the time. I live in Northern Minnesota where a 20 mile morning or evening trip results in the front looking like it was shot with a pepper cannon.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

They claim it's better than ever else on the market at getting brake dust off.

Probably has much of the same ingredients as aluminum wheel brightener.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You can use Back to Black on the engine to make it look ******. I always use different products on the wheels and the engine. Isn't simple green a bad product to use? What about if it gets in bearings on the wheel?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can use Back to Black on the engine to make it look ******. I always use different products on the wheels and the engine. Isn't simple green a bad product to use? What about if it gets in bearings on the wheel?
Simple green is a very safe cleaner but I don't think any of the wheel cleaner is good for the bearings either. But I don't think it's a problem unless run through a pressure washer and aimed at the bearings. I pressure wash the whole bike quite often, I just don't aim at the hubs, speakers or electrical components.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Would this stuff cause problems with the paint on the wheels when trying to remove brake dust? It's $9 CDN at Canadian Tire stores.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Font Rim

Rectangle Font Logo Handwriting Brand

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.