VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Wanted to see what anyone thought of adding either an S & S or Lloydz air intake to a late model 08 or later Kingpin or Vegas bike with stock exhaust. If you've done this, I would like to see if you felt there was some performance gains or was it less performance that what you expect with the addition? Was it worth the expense for what performance gains you got or didn't get? Thanks for you're reply's.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

If your going to let it breath in ...... you've gotta let it exhale (after market exhaust). You will feel better about the bike w/ the better "intake" - but actual perfformance gains will be very modest.
Suggestion - you could do it in stages - get the intake & eventually the exhaust. But - I suggest putting the money away - be disciplined - then get the intake & exhaust @ the same time. More bueno!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts

I agree, do them together.
As for which intake, is this all the performance upgrades that you plan on doing?
If so, thenthe S&S is a good deal.
If not, then you would want to go with Lloyd's with a fuel controller of some type.
Making it easier to upgrade forperformance later.
I have the S&S on my Kingpin, it will someday be replaced with Lloyd's Torque Tubes, a VFCIII and engine mods.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
+1 on Rick's & ddawg'scomments. Doing one without the other is a waste of time as far as performance but the S&S sure makes the engine look allot better.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

You can certainly do the S&S or Lloydz box with stock pipes and it would be beneficial in performance. All you will really be giving up is high RPM horsepower because the pipes won't let it breathe up there. It would be awesome in the midrange! The issue would be if S&S would have a downloadfor that application. I'll bet Lloyd would have a way to tune it. I would give Lloyd a call and discuss options with him. He may be interested in trying that set-up just for the data.
When I was developing performance packages for the Suzuki VL 1500 I did several stock exhaust/open airbox set-ups and they were killer up to 5000 RPM. Low end and midrange were fabulous. The packages are still available for the carbureted or fuel injected VL 1500 models at
http://www.gmanindustries.com/
This is stock VS open airbox and fuel controller:

HP went from 54 to 63 (+15%), torque went from 63 to 84 (+25%). Not too shabby!

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I purchased the 09 KP Tour the Victory stage 1 was added. After a few thousand miles the [email protected] breather was installed. My experience is seat of the pants only with no dyno comparison sheets. I found the engine revved more easily to red line and seemed to pull harder and rev quicker. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

Stage 1 my bike went 12.77 thru the 1/4 mile. The addition of an S&S airbox took it to 12.501 (.269 seconds quicker). Went from 81 HP to 93 HP at a cost of$25/HP.
Getting where I am now cost $115/HP, so the S&S airbox is a performance bargain!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Further to my earlier post the mapping I had installed was for the Victory stage 1 slip on. When the [email protected] breather was put on there were computer problems at the dealership. As a result the [email protected] map was not installed. I contacted [email protected] about this problem and was told that the maps are very similar and if there were no problems with how the bike was running it was fine to leave it be. I average 42 mpg during long haul touring. Sometimes better sometimes worse depending on conditions. There is very little popping out of the exhaust. And after a year of riding the bike and over 17,000 miles I am satisfied with this setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone made the switch from the S&S airbox to the Lloydz Torque Tubes? If so, what were your gains? If you can't give gains in numbers, what ranges (i.e low, mid, high) were you most impressed with after the swap to Lloydz airbox? What tuner were you running and/or what download did you have?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

DanbyRaider said:
Has anyone made the switch from the S&S airbox to the Lloydz Torque Tubes? If so, what were your gains? If you can't give gains in numbers, what ranges (i.e low, mid, high) were you most impressed with after the swap to Lloydz airbox? What tuner were you running and/or what download did you have?
I did! Read about it here:
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_4425

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

DanbyRaider said:
Do you have any motor work done?
As my signature reads:
LloydzMotorworks104", 11:1 Pistons, .495 Cams, Ported Heads, SlashNessPipes, Torque TubesAirbox, PC III, 6700 RPM Rev Limit, Barnet Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Front Pulley
The answer to your question is yes, to the tune of around$5,000.00 and worth every penny!​

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys,

Hey thanks for the feedback and comments regarding my question. Hoping to pick up my new Kingpin very shortly and wanted to have a plan on what upgrades to do to it in the near future. Always good to get some feedback before making the purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.