VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decide to spring for the bucks to get an S&S airbox upgrade. I call my local dealer in Savannah and find out he is no longer a dealer and cant get the software card.

Next nearest dealer is 80 miles away. After he told me he "could not buy" S&S products, I called S&S and they insisted that he could. I call the dealer back and he says his "techs not comfortable installing the airbox and dont have the software".

So I call the next dealer who is 100 miles away and he said he would look into it and call me back. Never heard from him again.

I love my bike but this dealer support sucks big time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts

I have the same problem with my dealer. We only have one dealer where I live, and the next one is across the border into WA. If I can't get the S&S intake done via a dealer I will just get the VFC III from Lloydz, with his intake.
Good luck to you, I know I need it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Bummer...weird that a vic tech can't perform the task. the software comes with the product....thought any dealer was capable of using digital wrench.
my dealer also stated that the install of the S&S box (by dealership) wouldn't void my warranty as well...i've heard others say the install of any airbox would void the warranty...
i dunno, got mine in with no factory warranty whoas...GO RIDERVILLE in West Virginia.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

I bought my S&S from my local dealer. Either of the local dealers sell and install ANYTHING S&S including stroker kits etc. Either dealer will install downloads orVFCs.
Screw the dealer. The S&S box takes an hour to install but you need to let the tank pad sit over night. Get a VFC, install it while the tank is offthenyou don't need the dealer for anything. Both pieces have good directions...
Disclaimer: If you don't feel confident doing these tasks, my advice would be to stick with a stage 1.If you start down that 'performance path' without some degree of mechanical aptitude and tuning knowledge it is highly possible you will get less than desirable results. If you yourself are not wrenchy, it sure helps to 'know a guy'. Ask yourself how many horror stories you have read "I can't get the bike to run right" or "Victory won't help me" or "The dealer has tried and can't get it right". A man needs to know his limitations...

·
Registered
250 Posts

I purchased my S&S airbox from a dealer out of state (Maine) because he offered the best price. I also ordered my pipes through the same dealer, again because he gave me the best price. When I spoke to him about install, he said that if I wanted to install myself, I could ship himmy ecu together with the recalibration card (it is not actually 'software' just a programming code on the card) and he would recalibrate my ecu.
Though I'm handy with a wrench, the installation of the intake and pipes is not something that I really want to do. But I thought that was a good offer all thingsconsidered...
My local dealer will gladly do the install, despite the fact that I purchased the parts elsewhere.
just a thought..

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Bill,
That is really strange, the S&S intake is the easiest performance upgrade they can do on a bike? What is confusing is that S&S was allowed access to the Victory software while no other company (to my knowledge) has? Why would the dealer not feel comfortable if the manufacturer is?
I know its a hike, but I am sure Kevin would help you out. He is a little under 200 miles from you in Gainesville.
Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Bill,
That is really strange, the S&S intake is the easiest performance upgrade they can do on a bike? What is confusing is that S&S was allowed access to the Victory software while no other company (to my knowledge) has? Why would the dealer not feel comfortable if the manufacturer is?
I know its a hike, but I am sure Kevin would help you out. He is a little under 200 miles from you in Gainesville.
Don

yeah kevin was a huge help for me on this issue, he said that the s&s airbox with the vfc would be the best solution wth rpw 2-1 pipes and the stock map no need to ship the ecu or even mess with all that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bill3558 said:
So I decide to spring for the bucks to get an S&S airbox upgrade. I call my local dealer in Savannah and find out he is no longer a dealer and cant get the software card.

Next nearest dealer is 80 miles away. After he told me he "could not buy" S&S products, I called S&S and they insisted that he could. I call the dealer back and he says his "techs not comfortable installing the airbox and dont have the software".

So I call the next dealer who is 100 miles away and he said he would look into it and call me back. Never heard from him again.

I love my bike but this dealer support sucks big time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an update. I found a dealer 2 1/2 hours away, East Coast Powersports near Charleston, that would do the work but only after a phone call from S&S urging them to do it.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride and I am very pleased with the result. The bike just runs better now. Throttle response is crisp engine pulls strongly regardless of rpm. For instance before I would not use 6th gear under 70 mph because the engine seemed to not like it, very mushy throttle and seemed to be lugging. Now, even down at 55 mph in 6th engine response is immediate and pulls like crazy. Powercurve seems stronger through out the range, instead of flattening out like before.

Anyway it was kind of a hassle but I am glad I did it. Paid $525 total, but now the bike runs as it should. I highly recommend the S&S airbox and EFI remap.

Be safe!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Bill3558 said:
Here's an update. I found a dealer 2 1/2 hours away, East Coast Powersports near Charleston, that would do the work but only after a phone call from S&S urging them to do it.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride and I am very pleased with the result. The bike just runs better now. Throttle response is crisp engine pulls strongly regardless of rpm. For instance before I would not use 6th gear under 70 mph because the engine seemed to not like it, very mushy throttle and seemed to be lugging. Now, even down at 55 mph in 6th engine response is immediate and pulls like crazy. Powercurve seems stronger through out the range, instead of flattening out like before.

Anyway it was kind of a hassle but I am glad I did it. Paid $525 total, but now the bike runs as it should. I highly recommend the S&S airbox and EFI remap.

Be safe!
The 525 was for the install and the S&S air box? I'm trying to decide between the S&S or the Lloyds air box. I'm thinking it will be the S&S and the VFC along with the adjustable timing wheel that I have already ordered.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Ariesnc said:
The 525 was for the install and the S&S air box? I'm trying to decide between the S&S or the Lloyds air box. I'm thinking it will be the S&S and the VFC along with the adjustable timing wheel that I have already ordered.
The 525 was also 4 years ago. Although the price of the intake has remained pretty steady if you're shopping for labor rates you may find a wide variety. Make sure the shop doing your works knows to cut your stock air box out in pieces and doesn't try and charge you to drop the engine out of the bike to remove it in one piece.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Ariesnc said:
I think S&S manufactures the Lloyds box. Proetty sure that's the reply I got when I emailed Lloyds and asked what the difference was/which was better. Might want to email him, just to double check.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
mdallen said:
Get a service manual, take your time and do it yourself. It's really quite easy. The instructions are very simple to follow.
I may just do it my self then and save some money instead of dealer doing it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
iabob said:
The 525 was also 4 years ago. Although the price of the intake has remained pretty steady if you're shopping for labor rates you may find a wide variety. Make sure the shop doing your works knows to cut your stock air box out in pieces and doesn't try and charge you to drop the engine out of the bike to remove it in one piece.
Will I need the calibration card or can I just install the air box without the calibration card and it work fine?

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Ariesnc said:
Will I need the calibration card or can I just install the air box without the calibration card and it work fine?
The calibration download is no longer available. I think new fuel injection software from Vic or something like that is the reason. You'll need a fuel controller like a VFC-III or PC-V to add fuel to go along with your extra air, which is how you get to more power :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

there are some decent dealers but mostly stealers! with the lack of Vic dealers in most areas adding to the problem. I do not believe they CAN'T do the tune but likely they do not want to! Lloydz, S+S, + Ness air intakes for steel framed bikes are essentially the same, although cheapest the ness must be fully removed to clean which i did not know when i purchased mine for under $200.the bling of the Lloydz + S+S is not seen when installed. already having the tri-pro with dealer download from former owner my hammer runs well, although over the winter i opened the exhaust a bit, with the factory cats + closed style baffling its quiet + restrictive compared to no cats and straight thru baffles in most aftermarket pipes, hence the lack of power increase reported comparing to others. have not yet run since opening pipe + adding timing wheel + oxy sens removal, time will tell if i need to add fuel. there is no doubt when making modifications a dyno tune optomizing fuel + timing curve will add power + even mpg. my Hammer has more go than i need already but a proper tune is good for a healthy engine, Lloydz is 100 miles one way so i am considering that option

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.