Rust Shooting | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Rust Shooting

Discussion in 'Other Topics' started by Texasbaehr, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    Maybe its just me but it seems fishy why no one has asked the question why Alec Baldwin had a gun pointed at a crew member and pulled the trigger! Blame is going on the crew that handled the guns, Baldwin is a head case, always has been. Maybe just a crazy accident but this whole thing smells bad!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    They say he was rehearsing a scene where he point the gun at the camera.
    believe the lady was behind the camera.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    2 minutes of gun safety training and he would have inspected the rounds as soon as he was handed the weapon.
    You treat all guns like they are loaded and you'll never have something like that happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Rule one you do not point at anyone. Even Hollywood uses a point of aim that insures no danger and if they do fire at the camera, Lexan or remote and safety on set required a walk off a couple hours earlier. Standards exist, they ignored...

My beef is his tweet asking accusing an Officer involved in a justified shoot, ““I wonder how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone,” the actor wrote of the police shooting that the Orange County District Attorney’s Office later ruled had been justified.

Being the Producer and the trigger man, he is responsible for at least negligent manslaughter if the stories about the lack in safety as evident from two people getting shot on set. Why is live ammo anywhere near the set or mixed with other. Another a real gun isn’t a prop gun, especially when people are out target shooting with it the day before...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
  5. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    Truly, he should have had proper training in advance. Been handed an empty gun and the cartridges to identify and then load them himself with proper range type announcements as well.

I've yet to see any definitive statement identifying the projectile and distance. I guess the details will be out eventually but you'd think they'd have all that by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Active Member

Vision
    What a sad chain of events but at the end of the day for me it’s Alex Baldwins fault.

Only he held the gun, only he pointed the gun and only he pulled the trigger. If he didn’t have proper firearm training that’s on him because every knows how deadly a misused firearm can be. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

And for me, I have a little sliver of doubt about did he do it for publicly to help his waining career, did he do it to advance gun restrictions, did he do it to help out the movie that he is the producer of?

He’s been in movies before holding and pointing guns at other actors and were they stage guns and not real guns? If they were real, did he have to go through a protocol beforehand, if he did than was it the same as what was done on the set of a movie that he is producing and advertising?
    Is that scene going to be cut in editing or is it the money shot?
    For me there is a lot of questions to be answered but it still comes down to one person.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Baldwin and the crew broke every basic rule of safe gun handling. This fits the negligent manslaughter laws perfectly. According to the police reports this wasn’t a prop gun at all but a real gun with real ammunition they ‘plinked’ with between takes. Plus he was practicing a cross draw which nearly guaranteed sweeping a wide field in front of him which is another bad situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Normally the Prop Guy will demo that it is empty by cycling pointing at the ground with a "cold" gun. But this Asst. Director had a reputation of corner cutting and disregard for safety protocols as witnessed by half a dozen walking off the set hours before...

Strangely, the person arguing the Crews points was the one killed. No doubt it was an accident, but... Will the details cover their Hero's butt as the Media Spin will be the thing... I wonder if he learned anything or will just be a justifying the blame game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Yep and when I was in the Biz of investigating such things we had a saying. That was 85% of people accidentally shot, were shot with an unloaded gun...

My understanding he was sitting on a Pew practicing a draw and no cameras were rolling...

• Like Like x 1
  10. rustychevelle

rustychevelle Active Member

Cross Country
    Anti gun nut with zero training.... Hand me a weapon and tell me its "safe", I am still going to check the damn thing myself. Come on people this is stuff that is taught to young childern in hunters safety/basic gun safety. The anit-gun crowd loves to act and use the weapons they hate so much to make a living, but they are to freaking lazy to actually learn about safe weapon handling.... I feel bad for the lady he shot, but I have zero simpathy for his dumb ass.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bobzinger

bobzinger Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    According to every experienced armorer I have heard interviewed, The blame squarely falls on the on-set armorer. They are ultimately responsible for all weapons on set.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Chattanooga_Mark

Nope. The responsibility and the blame falls squarely on the person who pulled the trigger. Period. You’re your own first line of safety. The on set armorer didn’t pull the trigger killing one and wounding another.

Who’s to blame at a gun store if the clerk hands you a gun that you point, shoot and injure/kill someone? That’s right, the person who pulled the trigger. Not the clerk, even though they’re clearly inept in my example.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Gonna be plenty of liability to go around including the triggerman / producer as management and actor violating safety standards...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I see both sides.

Depending on which side of the line I'm standing on. A real range/movie making.

In the real world when I'm on the range every gun is hot. If it's handed to me or I hand it to you I feel it only right to verify the condition before any action is taken. If we are about to demo something. We show everyone a clear chamber and empty mag before anything is done.

BUT......

In fantasy land of movie making I think the guns of the show are the responsibility of the armourer. No live ammo should be anywhere in sight of a gun. EVER. If it were me that's how I would run it. There is no reason to have real ammo on, in, or around a movie production. So if I'm the actor I trust the "professional" making the gun ready will be in the proper condition. I think a basic understanding of firearm safety is good but it's not completely applicable to a movie set. Guns are pointed at people and if shots are fired the armourer should be the one making sure everything is correct. I don't expect every actor to know much about guns... Heck most don't even hold them correctly.

Overall I think they blurred the lines of real world and movie making and this is the consequence.

Now speaking personally with the knowledge I have of guns I would have cleared the firearm before practicing with it. I would also have a big problem with plinking with the movie guns between takes.

If any of you are ever with me and we're looking at guns do not be offended if you hand me one that you just cleared in front of me when I clear it again.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chattanooga_Mark

I wouldn’t spend time around anyone who didn’t know and practice safe handling each and every time. If you didn’t clear any weapon you received, you’d be on your own until you practiced and consistently demonstrated safe handling procedures. Any shooter offended by that needs to get training, a lot of training.

The Shooter: negligent manslaughter. But since it's Baldwin, he'll likely get off by making massive payments all around. Some from him, most from the insurance company.

The Armorer/Producer/those in the entire weapons chain of command: will likely be scape goated and sued out of business. But again, not charged with much, if anything.

There's little reason to trust the NM DA. The state needs all the movie production it can get. Yes, follow the money. It tells the real story.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1