VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a 400 mile ride yesterday. 2 things I noticed First...I finally got my helmet to fit properly. Thank God! Second I need to replace my seat. Thinking of the day long from Russell. If you have one please chime in.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
@VicVisionBulldog can tell you about the Mustang seat.

I've heard nothing but good things re: RDL, but 2 things prohibit me from getting one....price and looks (I think they look dog ugly).

Mustang, Ultimate or custom fab on the stock seat is where I'll likely get to at some point.

But for now, the Airhawk seat pad I have works just fine.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My RDL is the most comfortable seat I've ever had.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In terms of looks it's not the prettiest but once you sit on it no one can see it anyway. I think I will give it a try the riding club I belong to rides every week and it is usually a 100-200 mile ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not excited about the turnaround time but I'm taking a 2 week vacation in November so maybe I will do it then. They are taking appointments for September as we speak

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
I am not going to drop a grand on a motorcycle seat. You should not have to drop that kind of cash for a decent seat. I don't care for the long turn-around, either. Besides, it's not going to be any more comfortable than this amazing stock saddle. So I will either go with a local source and recover my seat or I will take a serious look at Will (CycleOps) and see what can be done there.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
I am not going to drop a grand on a motorcycle seat. You should not have to drop that kind of cash for a decent seat. I don't care for the long turn-around, either. Besides, it's not going to be any more comfortable than this amazing stock saddle. So I will either go with a local source and recover my seat or I will take a serious look at Will (CycleOps) and see what can be done there.
I loved the stock saddle too.....until I got the Mustang. I didn't realize the stock seat had such a up turned nose that crowded my gentleman parts. But if I hadn't been injured I would still be rocking the stocker because I didn't want to drop a grand on a saddle but pain pulled my wallet open. In the end(get it?) I'm happy I got it. I got mine for just over $800 compared to about $1500 for the Corbin I was also looking at.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
6,677 Posts
I hear ya, dog. I just can't do it now. The seat I have is just fine, I can just have Will recover it. There is a local guy that supposedly does really good work as well and is very reasonable; the dealer sends customers to him for custom work. You get your seat back in just a few days, too.

The nice thing about the Corbin is that I can get a passenger backrest. I still want a factory setup but I am not going to pay what people are asking for them. And when you go there for install they will sculpt the seat foam to your behind. I like that idea. $1,100.00 though. We are right back to that!

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hear ya, dog. I just can't do it now. The seat I have is just fine, I can just have Will recover it. There is a local guy that supposedly does really good work as well and is very reasonable; the dealer sends customers to him for custom work. You get your seat back in just a few days, too.

The nice thing about the Corbin is that I can get a passenger backrest. I still want one but I am not going to pay what people are asking for them. And they will sculpt it to your behind. I like that idea. $1,100.00 though. We are right back to that!
I have a cycleops seat. Looks great and quality is top notch but it isn't cheap and a long day of riding still wears out my butt. I wanted a Russell but it just became too expensive and a custom Ultimate became semi custom. I have a spare seat I am gonna get redone locally thankfully I have an upholstery cat I trust in town that isn't tooo expensive. Long story short more short stops makes it better. But I am a fat ass so maybe it's just my ass lol.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It's the first thing I do on a new bike, get a Russells. I can ride Daylong, for 10 days in a row, no pain! The base cost is no more than a Corbin and if you need adjustments, they are free for a year after purchase. Before I spend money on stuff that just looks pretty I take care of my butt.
A buddy of mine took his back 3 times to get his wife's tourpak backrest comfortable. No charge!

Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had an Ultimate on my last bike(Yamaha Roadstar). I liked it. I felt like I sat in the bike rather than on it. It was shaped to cup my butt and lock me into a good position.
I now have a Russell on my CCT with the built in springs because I'm supersized. With the stock seat, I had to get off after 2 hrs and on a 300 mile ride, I would squirm around to try and keep comfortable. I'm comfortable all day on the Russell. The Russell doesn't lock me in as well as the Ultimate, but my butt is VERY happy.

Having said that...no 2 butts are alike and while recommendations are worthwhile - It's a real personal thing. If there's a way to test ride someone else's seat, I'd recommend it.

Getting the pressure off the tailbone and onto the butt cheeks is important. I bruised my tailbone on the Roadstar stock seat and I was sore for 6 months. I don't wish that on anyone.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
6,677 Posts
Yup, looks really good and I am sure it is a great saddle. I just don't see why they are charging that much for it. Plus I don't get to ride this bike for a month or more? F*ck that. For 1200 bucks you should get it back much quicker than that. Hell, I can buy a damned sofa for my living room for that price and get it delivered the same day! I am not going to pay that for a motorcycle seat. Period. The only way I would even consider it would be if the stock saddle was a real stinker, and my stock seat is anything but. Or if my stocker got ruined in some way.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ghostrider25, since you're in the Bay area you can just make an appointment and ride up to Shasta and get it done in one day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.