VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a comfortable saddle for my KPT. I had the stock tour saddle which killed my tailbone. I replaced it with the one-piece touring saddle w/ driver's backrest. That saddle was too hard for me and put pressure on my ischium (butt bones). I had prior experience with a Mustang saddle on a different bike. To me the mustang is a little bit better than stock, but not enough.

I admittedly am a tough customer when it comes to MC seats. Many other riders are satisfied with all three of the seats I've mentioned so far.

I had heard good things about the Russell saddles and decided to give it a try. I have not had the chance to mount the seat on my bike due to the fact that my bike is currently in the shop. I'll start my review by commenting on the quality of the workmanship.

I ordered vinyl seat covers with leather inserts. The materials and workmanship are top notch. I did not have the passenger seat modified but as you can see in the photo Russell matched the pattern of the drivers seat. The leather is supple. The upholstery work looks to be very high quality. The underside of the seat has all of the original material intact.
The shape of the seat is like a tractor seat, wide enough to provide lateral support which will hopefully take away the pressure points stock saddles seem to have. I have not seen another seat manufacturer that puts function before form like Russell. It probably won't be as pretty as a stock or Mustang seat once mounted.

I will post pictures of the seat mounted on my bike and share my opinion of the comfort as soon as my bike is back in the stable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Furthermore, I mounted the seat on the bike and rode it 85 miles home from R/J Performance in Ottumwa. Russell says to allow a 500-1000 mile break-in for the seat to become the most comfortable. In 85 miles I have on the seat I rate it as excellent! I'm very impressed. I'll take pictures of the seat on the bike after I clean the bike. I rode through 60 miles of the hardest rain I've ever ridden in. Invigorating!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

So your bike is fixed? I need to find that thread..
Back to the seat, from the picture it appears as though the "lower" 2 sections in the center are on a bit of a diagonal. Is that the case or is that distortion in the picture?
I switched to a Mustang from the stock seat much to my relief but am still some what suffering because I have no padding in my own seat..ya know what I mean? My pants tend to slide down because there is nothing "back there" to help keep them up. I look forward to your review.
Was a back rest for driver an option? Did you have to send your stock seat to be redone? I ask that because you state "the bottom of the seat has all the original material intact"

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stilcrazee said:
So your bike is fixed? I need to find that thread..
Back to the seat, from the picture it appears as though the "lower" 2 sections in the center are on a bit of a diagonal. Is that the case or is that distortion in the picture?
I switched to a Mustang from the stock seat much to my relief but am still some what suffering because I have no padding in my own seat..ya know what I mean? My pants tend to slide down because there is nothing "back there" to help keep them up. I look forward to your review.
Was a back rest for driver an option? Did you have to send your stock seat to be redone? I ask that because you state "the bottom of the seat has all the original material intact"
I know what you mean about not finding comfort. Although, I have too much "natural" padding. Russell offers a driver's back rest option, but my seat already had one. Yes, you send your seat pan in to have them rebuild.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will find out just how comfy my Mustang seat will be on long rides on the trip to Anamosa on the 27th. Hoping for the best because I don't think I can get an option (other than an airhawk cushion) by the time I leave for Sturgis.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stilcrazee said:
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will find out just how comfy my Mustang seat will be on long rides on the trip to Anamosa on the 27th. Hoping for the best because I don't think I can get an option (other than an airhawk cushion) by the time I leave for Sturgis.
Maybe I'll see you and other fellow Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin VOGers at J&P on the 27th. Sounds like a reason to have an informal midwest VOG meet. No? I'm going to start a thread.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sadie55044 said:
Very impressive seat John! Glad ya found one that fits ya. But you know me my friend I will still take my Vic one piece. ha ha ha

Hope to see ya up here soon,
Rog
Thanks man. Here is what it looks like on the bike. About 400 miles in the saddle and it's definitely the most comfortable motorcycle saddle I've ever had. So far so great!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sadie55044 said:
So just to do a little "re-take", you sent your Vic one piece seat into Russell, Right? And then they built the seat based on that? Or did you have to send in a mold of your butt?! ha ha ha
You give you height, weight, inseam and pictures of yourself seated in riding position and with your feet down. Russell uses all that info to custom-make your saddle. They do top-notch work. An ass impression would be effective too, but I'd break the mold. My friends say I do a good ass impression naturally.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
h2odog2 said:
Not to be rude but what was the final bill? This seat looks awesome onyurkingpin!
Not rude at all. It was around 500.00 plus shipping my seat out and back for the mods. Of course I paid a little extra for leather inserts and heavy weight suspension because I'm such a lard ass. I rode for 9 hours yesterday and 5 hours today. It is the first longer trip I've made that I didn't have discomfort and pain. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever had.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After breaking it in for a 1000 miles, my first trip was yesterday. I rode for 9 hours in reasonable comfort. Today was a short day of 5 hours. The second day riding usually is when I suffer the most. That didn't happen this time. I'm really happy with the saddle. The look takes away from the sleek Victory look, but I have to say I really don't mind the way it looks mostly because it's so dang comfortable. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Hi, I've got the standard two piece with the passenger tour pillion and I need to change the seat. I really like the Russell from the pictures. Did you get backrests with it and did you have send your seat in or can you buy it like that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bambam said:
Hi, I've got the standard two piece with the passenger tour pillion and I need to change the seat. I really like the Russell from the pictures. Did you get backrests with it and did you have send your seat in or can you buy it like that?
Thanks.
Russell has some seat pans in stock, but not Victory seat pans. You have to send them your seat. I actually sent them my one piece touring seat with a driver backrest, but they do make backrests to order. If you go on tohttp://www.day-long.com/ you can get all the info. The Kingpin and Vegas seats are an S2 price code. You can look it up on their price lists and add as many features as you want including heated seat. They are good to work with. The only hitch I had in the whole transaction was they forgot to sent my seat hardware in the box. The hardware arrived a couple days later and they apologized. No biggy. Go on the website, call or email. They respond quick.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So how does your passenger like the new seat? Wife & I sat on every seat in the dealership before she decided on the most comfy passenger seat and now that we have some miles on the bike, we both want better seats. After less than a hundred miles we have to stop for a leg stretch (aka butt rub) then we need to stop more frequently. Was thinking mustang until I searched & found this thread, now I need more input.

Chas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.